Author Topic: Really Old Oriental Orthodox Theologicals  (Read 392 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: God
Really Old Oriental Orthodox Theologicals
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
For anyone who has some thoughts or can provide some kind of book or site, has there been any attempt at compiling information on various OO theologians and writers up through, say, the 9th century? I'd be especially interested in areas outside the reach of the Roman empires. There're books along these lines for the Greek and Latin Fathers, but it's hard to get some idea of things for Oriental Orthodoxy using things wiki articles on the Patrologia Orientalis or mediocrely-translated lists for something like Sources Chrétiennes. If not a book then perhaps a website, even if limited? And if not in English, is there perhaps a version in another language?

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
Re: Really Old Oriental Orthodox Theologicals
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:48:14 PM »
Here's a good place to start:

http://orthokairos.weebly.com/authors.html
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 06:39:26 PM »
Do you read French?

https://hmmlorientalia.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/synaxarion-texts-in-po-with-links-to-online-texts/

hmmlorientalia   Some remarks—often with photos!—about manuscripts and the languages, literature, scholarship, and history of Christian culture in the Middle East.
HomeAboutBibliographiesGallery of scholarsOld Georgian phrases and sentencesRSS FeedSynaxarion texts in PO, with links to online texts   2 comments
Among the volumes of the venerable series Patrologia Orientalis (see a list of online volumes here) are synaxarion texts in Arabic, Armenian, Georgian (see update at the bottom), and Gǝʿǝz. The synaxarion — the collection of shorter or longer notices in commemoration of saints for each day of the church calendar — as it appears in different language-traditions offers both language students and students of the saints a host of reading-material: there are mountains of texts for a great many saints common to all the language-traditions, and these texts may be fruitfully compared with each other philologically, literarily, and otherwise, as well as saints particular to each language-tradition. (For further comparison, one might turn to the Byzantine Synaxarium ecclesiae constantinopolitanum, edited by Delehaye.) To make reference easier to these synaxarion texts from PO, all of which are given in the original language and with a French translation, here is a list according to month and PO volume, with links to the appropriate books at archive.org, where available. The month names are given according to the appropriate language and preceded by their number; for the correspondences of the months, see here from BHO. For more on eastern Christian hagiography, in addition to the volumes mentioned here, see my tagged bibliography, still in progress, here.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 02:49:11 AM »
This might be helpful for the Armenian Church:

http://www.hyeetch.nareg.com.au/religion/feasts_p2.html