Author Topic: Armenian Catholicos received the representatives of Yezidi Spiritual Council  (Read 713 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
http://www.armenianchurch.org/index.jsp?sid=3&nid=3044&y=2015&m=10&d=28

His Holiness welcomed the visit of the delegation of the Spiritual Council of the Yezidis of Georgia to the spiritual center of all Armenians and reflected on the relations of the Armenian and Yezidi nations, noting that they are marked by a strong fraternal relation. The Catholicos of All Armenians confirmed with satisfaction that in Armenia the Yezidis, living side-by-side with Armenians, freely organize their national and spiritual life.

In turn, the Chairman of the Spiritual Council of the Yezidis of Georgia presented the close collaborative relationship between the Yezidis in Georgia, and the Armenian community and Armenian Diocese of Georgia. Speaking about Armenia's Yezidi community, he expressed gratitude to His Holiness on behalf of the Yezidi population living in Armenia, for the caring attitude and support for preservation of their religious and national traditions.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches

Offline Samn!

• Elder
In the Republic of Georgia, the trend over the past ten years or more is for Yazidis to become Christians, to the point that most ethnic Kurds there are now Christian. I wonder if that's also the case in Armenia.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:51:03 AM by Samn! »

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
My understanding is that in Armenia they've retained their traditional religion.

Offline wgw

• Addicted to liturgical music
  • Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Salpy, are you at all well versed on Yazidism?

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
Not well versed.  I just know what I've heard or read.  Armenians from Armenia talk about the Yezidis as rural people who live in the mountains.  They keep to themselves and don't hurt or bother anyone.  I get the impression that the Armenian government's policy is to leave them alone and let them live their lives according to their customs and heritage.  I read a while back that the government gave them text books in their own language for their schools.  I don't think the Church proselytizes them.  I was acquainted with a Yezidi man from Lebanon a long time ago, but I never asked him about his culture or religion or anything.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
https://www.armenianow.com/en/karabakh/2016/05/25/armenia-yazidi-community-karabakh-war-tamoyan/3858/

The above is a short article discussing the contribution of the Yazidis during recent clashes with Azerbaijan.  It mentions the Yazidi Kyaram Sloyan, who is regarded as a hero. 

The article says there are about 35,000 Yazidis in Armenia.  For some reason, I thought their numbers were larger.

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
https://www.armenianow.com/en/karabakh/2016/05/25/armenia-yazidi-community-karabakh-war-tamoyan/3858/

The above is a short article discussing the contribution of the Yazidis during recent clashes with Azerbaijan.  It mentions the Yazidi Kyaram Sloyan, who is regarded as a hero. 

The article says there are about 35,000 Yazidis in Armenia.  For some reason, I thought their numbers were larger.

Salpy, its good to see a post from you! :)   Welcome back!  I think the Yazidis are descended from Christians, probably Syrian Gnostics, based on what is known about their faith, and believe them to be good people.  It is tragic, a bitter irony, that they who protected the Armenians during the genocide themselves now face genocide by the same religion that killed so many Armenians, Syriacs, Assyrians and Pontic Greeks.   Although if you look at the situation of Christians in Syria, Armenians are a victims of what I would call "the second Sayfo" as well.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
World's largest Yazidi temple under construction in Armenia

A huge Yazidi temple is under construction in a small Armenian village, intended as a symbol of resilience for a persecuted religious tradition.

The temple is being built in Aknalich, about 35km from Yerevan, the Armenian capital. Seven domes will surround a central arched roof, crowned with a gold-plated sun. At 25m high, it will be built from Armenian granite and Iranian marble and house a 200-square-metre prayer hall.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/25/worlds-largest-yazidi-temple-under-construction-in-armenia

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
This makes me very happy and it establishes Oriental Orthodox Christians as defenders of the oppressed, who repay their debts (conaidering the role Yazidis played in helping Armenians).

I am convinced btw the Yazidis are the descendants of Kurdish adherents of Syrian Gnosticism.