OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 06:00:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The place of Augustine in Oriental Orthodoxy  (Read 1973 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: December 22, 2006, 05:18:20 PM »

As Oriental Orthodox Christians, do we consider Augustine a saint? Furthermore, how much credence would we give to Augustine as a theologian?

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
nonchal

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 06:56:10 PM »

Augustine is an authoritative Father in the Oriental Orthodox church.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 07:19:41 PM »

Does that mean we venerate him as a saint?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 02:04:29 PM »

HH Pope Shenouda is an ardent defender of St. Augustine.  He mentions that he's a great saint and father to the Coptic Church.  He is known for his "Confessions" which were translated in Arabic for people to read.

However, I have heard no opinion on the "errors" of St. Augustine from an OO authority.

God bless.

Mina
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 02:04:48 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 09:06:14 PM »

However, I have heard no opinion on the "errors" of St. Augustine from an OO authority.

It's possible that Augustine himself wasn't guilty of error, but that his work has subsequently been misinterpreted by the Roman Church.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »

It's possible that Augustine himself wasn't guilty of error, but that his work has subsequently been misinterpreted by the Roman Church.

Peace.

I too think that it is possible for some of the issues put out against him.  But I am not a scholar.  Still reading his works though.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
agustinus

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »

I have seen an Oriental Orthodox shrine, with the relics of St. Augustine, in Algiers. He is definitely venerated by the Oriental Orthodox, as well as by the Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholics (and the Anglicans).
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 05:53:23 AM »

The sanctity of an individual is not always related to the accuracy of his theology. I believe that Augustine was in error on a great many things, and also that he always struggled against his Manichaean past, but the churches have always been able to look beyond such things. The Irish read Augustine, for instance, but just ignored all his writing on predestination.

Personally I always side with St John Cassian and do think that some of Augustine's views have had a lastingly negative effect on Western Christianity.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 11:03:07 PM »

Is he actually on any of the churches' calendars of saints, though?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags: St. Augustine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: