Author Topic: Two Episcopal Parishes Attempt to Thwart Satanic Attack  (Read 2304 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Two Episcopal Parishes Attempt to Thwart Satanic Attack
« on: December 17, 2006, 06:42:56 PM »
Episcopalian Parishes in Virginia Vote to Split From Church Over Sexuality Battle

FAIRFAX, Virginia —  Two of the largest Episcopal parishes in Virginia voted overwhelmingly Sunday to break from The Episcopal Church and join fellow Anglican conservatives forming a rival U.S. denomination.

Truro Church in Fairfax and The Falls Church in Falls Church, Virginia, plan to place themselves under the leadership of Anglican Archbishop Peter Akinola of Nigeria, who has called the growing acceptance of gay relationships a "satanic attack" on the church...

Offline Veniamin

• Fire for Effect!
  • Archon
  • St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery
Re: Two Episcopal Parishes Attempt to Thwart Satanic Attack
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 06:59:04 PM »
No real surprises there.  I'm a little curious as to what the Dioceses of Forth Worth and Pittsburgh will do, as well.  Maybe one of our resident Episcopalians could enlighten us?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:01:51 PM by Veniamin »
Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 07:19:42 PM »
Interestingly enough the BBC did a breakdown of worldwide Anglican bodies....  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/3226753.stm

Nothing too surprising, I've been hearing for a long time from Catholic friends that Africa and other developing nations are going to save the RCC from the extreme liberals in the West - looks like the same in the Anglican Communion. 

Offline dantxny

• OC.net Mineshaft gap
  • High Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 08:49:19 PM »
I find it especially interesting with Diocese of San Joaquim' decesion to leave the ECUSA and petetion the Archbishop of Canterburry for a new Primate.  They've also changed they're name from Episcopal to Anglican.
"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
Re: Two Episcopal Parishes attempt to .......
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 10:54:25 AM »
Well, I think that the title of the thread is a little bit umm lurid since the phrase comes from Archbishop Peter Akinola, not from either of the priests that I know of.  :)

This is a still developing story and a fairly local one for me, it being just over in Virginia.  I haven't seen anything yet about Pittsburgh and Fort Worth, but then I was studying for my Sociology final exam.  Now that class is over I'll have some time to look for information.  One thing to remember is that the Episcopal Church is only one member of the Anglican Communion. There are more Anglican Churchs out there to belong to, as it were. I'm trying to work out in my head if this could be compared to an EO parish changing jurisdiction.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 11:09:11 AM »
Well, I just thought it summed up things nicely. This is not simply a theological disagreement, like when people have an argument about whether to use archaic (e.g., KJV) English or modern English. This is a question of a much deeper and more personal kind, and one which will change people's lives on a much more profound level. Whether the parishes believe that it is a "satanic attack" I don't know, but obviously some do, and the parishes at the very least do believe that the issue of homosexuality is enough to justify schism. I am of an opposite opinion (to put it mildly :) ).

Offline GiC

• Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 06:22:30 PM »
and the parishes at the very least do believe that the issue of homosexuality is enough to justify schism. I am of an opposite opinion (to put it mildly :) ).

Wow, looks like you have come full circle...glad we agree ;) (Then again, I would probably still oppose Schism from the Oecumenical Throne as the greatest of sins even if they started sacrificing children on the altar, so my position should come as no surprise ;D)

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 04:56:22 PM »
Well, I just thought it summed up things nicely. This is not simply a theological disagreement, like when people have an argument about whether to use archaic (e.g., KJV) English or modern English.

I understand what you mean.   Otoh, I don't think that English Ancient or Modern disagreements are "theological".  That's definitely a matter of personal taste.  :)  I've never heard any Anglican maintain that God speaks in Tudor/Stuartian English only.

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.