OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 01:35:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what of this belief: "God will not give you more than you can handle"  (Read 1626 times) Average Rating: 0
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« on: December 21, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »

We are SO going round and round on this.  I thought it entirely a protestant bastion, taken out of context like usual.  However, in a private moment with our priest, he used it. (though not flippantly like I have always heard)
He is very old and traditional, so I was rather surprised.
Now our protestant family is trying to use this as a hope of some kind since our daughter's diagnosis of Rett Syndrome.  So my dh's godfather said to remember those burning on stakes in Nero's garden, or those in the colliseum being eaten by lions.  Was that more than THEY could handle?  I tend to agree with him instead of my priest!  A dh with apnea, a child that was molested and the ensuing court debt, living on one income, a special needs daughter, and a painful childhood...yep, this wonder woman is spent!  I hate to see what else He thinks i can handle!!!
I just can't go along with this belief, and I am about to spend an entire weekend with family that is touting it and planning prayer vigils for our daughter....
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 02:54:44 PM »

All I know is that what we think we can handle and what we can actually handle are two different things.  We're much more resilient creatures than we give ourselves credit for, and I trust that if a person seeks God in these difficult times, He will manifest Himself in some way.  Problems don't always get solved.  People still get hurt.  These are the effects of living in a fallen world.  But God is everywhere present, filling all things.  Those martyrs killed in the persecutions may have thought that was more than they could handle, but the rewards they have now are incomparably greater than the pain they faced.  Each person has his own cross that they face - for some, it is actual martyrdom; for others, it is a martyrdom of being a single parent, of living with cancer, of having a troubled marriage, or whatever the case may be. These are the "trials by fire" that make us stronger in the end. God does not abandon those who love Him - ever.  When the disciples were in a storm-tossed boat in danger of sinking, it was Christ who rose and calmed the wind and the waves with a single command.  I will pray for you that you may find peace and comfort through the Lord's presence in the bearing of your cross.

Your Brother in Christ,

Rdr. Michael
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 02:57:33 PM by SakranMM » Logged

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 03:13:58 PM »

I suppose "you can handle" in the Christian context implies you, your family, and your brothers and sisters in Christ.  Not to borrow too heavily from Mrs. Clinton, but "it takes a village" doesn't just apply to raising children, but rather to the context of our life in Christ - we were created as social beings, with the objective of striving together towards unity with God, not in isolation.  If we isolate ourselves then it will be too much - see the pain and anguish that Judas felt.

I just hope the prayers and support of your friends here on OC.net can be of some small help in this effort...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »

Whoa  . . . I forgot this is Christmas weekend (I am old calendar). Can't you just tell your family "Look, I appreciate all that you are trying to do but could you just chill!  Been where you are when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She's fine now thank God.

As for your priest quoting a Protestant byline, maybe he got it from watching Pat Robertson late at night one night when he couldn't sleep  Grin

Come on you need some humor right now.

My prayers are with you.

Dan

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
falafel333
Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »

Dear calligraphqueen,

I believe that the saying is probably derived from a distorted interpretation of the following verse:

"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." (1 Cor 10:13)

What I believe that the verse is actually saying though, according to patristic interpretation is that the closer a person is to God the more resilient they would be to temptation and the more able they would be to overcome it.

It's a verse therefore which doesn't seek to judge so much but rather to offer hope to those under the painful pressure and stress of temptation in that they can look to God for help to aide them in their struggles and help to bear it and provide a way out.

Our prayers are with you during this difficult period...
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 07:53:58 PM »

I suppose "you can handle" in the Christian context implies you, your family, and your brothers and sisters in Christ.  Not to borrow too heavily from Mrs. Clinton, but "it takes a village" doesn't just apply to raising children, but rather to the context of our life in Christ - we were created as social beings, with the objective of striving together towards unity with God, not in isolation.  If we isolate ourselves then it will be too much - see the pain and anguish that Judas felt.

I just hope the prayers and support of your friends here on OC.net can be of some small help in this effort...

Excuse me, I just fell out of my desk chair. Cleveland quoting Hillary and in a positive way too.. who says there are no Christmas miracles?
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 08:54:15 PM »

God is no more responsible for the bad things that happen, than he is for the good things that happen. He just is not involved with us at that level.

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
Truthseeker194

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Methodist

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »

I used to not believe that... then one of my best friends died...  Cry I spent the night before his death crying and praying endlessly for the Lord to help us... I was very young ad foolish and thought my prayers had been ignored... I grew very angry at God. I asked him why? Why Lord did you take him away from me? But as the months passed I was blessed with the steady hand and comforting words of my best friend... through her I was given the strength I needed to heal and come out stronger, more faithful, and more trusting of God's wisdom than ever before. He knew that I could endure it... and he helped me to do so... I am better now because I know the Lord is with me, and I know that my friend is with his father in heaven...
spiltteeth

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »

I was told sometimes God does give us more than we can handle, and that is because He wants us to share our troubles with others.

God bless
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: