OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:20:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Living God" Book as a Catechetical reference  (Read 871 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: December 21, 2006, 03:27:05 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm a novice at all this Orthodox Stuff and some of this 'infighting' freaks me out a bit just like the OP.

I've sat down with a Parish Priest and have begun reading The Living God. Does anyone know of this Catechism?

Thanks.

Split this post from the original thread to highlight the questions asked, as well as keeping this post in the original board since I will be moving the remiander fo the thread.

FrChris
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:36:23 AM by FrChris » Logged

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:37:31 AM »

I believe that is a Light and Life publication or possibly one from the OCA. (I know you can buy it thru Light and Life)I read it years ago when I was stdying as a catechumen, loaned it out to another catechumen and never saw it again . As I remember it was a good catechism book that with other books helped me to understand Orthodox Christianity. As i remember it used scripture, basic Orthodox theology linked to the liturgical year, some iconography and hymnography to demonstrate and explain the teachings of the Church. It was not my favorite Catechism, that would be  The Law of God , I think its full tiltle was Law of God: For Study At Home and Schoolby Seraphim Slobodskoy. I liked it as a basic Catechism because it covered a little bit of everything and was great to use in teaching our children as they grew into the faith after our conversion.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:56:10 AM »

I believe that is a Light and Life publication or possibly one from the OCA. (I know you can buy it thru Light and Life)I read it years ago when I was stdying as a catechumen, loaned it out to another catechumen and never saw it again . As I remember it was a good catechism book that with other books helped me to understand Orthodox Christianity. As i remember it used scripture, basic Orthodox theology linked to the liturgical year, some iconography and hymnography to demonstrate and explain the teachings of the Church. It was not my favorite Catechism, that would be  The Law of God , I think its full tiltle was Law of God: For Study At Home and Schoolby Seraphim Slobodskoy. I liked it as a basic Catechism because it covered a little bit of everything and was great to use in teaching our children as they grew into the faith after our conversion.

In Christ,
Thomas

Thanks for the reply Thomas. So 'The Law of God: For Study At Home and School' by Seraphim Slobodskoy is one that you recommend? It's more detailed? I'm not really great at theology... Is it heavy in the theological stuff?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »

It is easily read and I have used it with my  elementary age grand children the past few years, my junior-high /high school. College-aged kids  some 15 years ago, and I still enjoy reading it. I think you will be able to read it and understand it without any problems---it covers everything from Creation to Judgement, Orthopraxis, sacraments, church history, and more.  He also has a series of questions at the end of every chapter that we used with the kids when St. Nicholas visited them every December 6 and he asked them questions about their catechism.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:17:05 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: