OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:47:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What do you think of ST:Voyager?
It wasn't bad, but wasn't that good either. - 5 (14.7%)
It wasn't bad, but wasn't that good either. - 10 (29.4%)
Pretty good. - 9 (26.5%)
It was excellent. - 9 (26.5%)
Huh? They made a Trek after the Original Series? - 1 (2.9%)
Trek sucks. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek: Voyager  (Read 7970 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2006, 05:40:26 PM »

And having a *very* tenuous Star Trek link, I've just noticed that in the last few postings, I have become a forum "Archon"

Festival!! Festival!!!

Grin Cheesy

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2006, 08:46:45 PM »

And having a *very* tenuous Star Trek link, I've just noticed that in the last few postings, I have become a forum "Archon"

Festival!! Festival!!!

Grin Cheesy

Ebor
It was the will of Landru that you should become an Archon.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2006, 11:12:47 AM »

It was the will of Landru that you should become an Archon.

Excellent, Apotheoun!  You got it. 

Though I'm not sure how far this should go, since the Archons were "not of the Body".   Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2006, 11:25:51 AM »

Congratulations on your achievement!  Grin

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2006, 11:52:11 AM »

Thank you. I'm trying to come up with some kind of personalized title.  I'm not sure it would be appropriate to try for "Maia" and it already says "Vanyar" after all.

Then again, maybe it's telling me that I post too much.  Grin

Ebor

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2007, 10:33:29 PM »

Grrr, they've now put ST:Voyager on late nights in place of MXC on some days. I mean, sure I just bought the first season of MXC on DVD, but I'm used to having a late night fix of it.

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2007, 09:45:49 AM »

I still think TNG was the best because of all of the Science and Engineering that was involved. That's really the corner stone of Star Trek is its use of technology and science and engineering to show what can be accomplished given time. As for looking for a Utopia, isn't that what us Orthodox look for after its all said and done?

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2007, 11:32:28 AM »

I voted 'It wasn't bad, but wasn't that good either' and then saw that most here agree.

I grew up with a first-generation Trekkie and so know more about the original series than I usually care to admit. Smiley I got the archons/Landru/'you're not of the body' thing. Captain Kirk/William Shatner is unfairly criticised: he was great in TOS and was a respected stage actor (Shakespeare at Stratford, Broadway... probably where the famous Shatnerian diction comes from) before 'joining Starfleet'. Handsome, the all-American hero (not bad for a Canadian): it worked. He didn't get too hammy until the movies (most of which were stupid IMO) IIRC. The brilliant, restrained, conflicted Mr Spock is one of the greatest TV characters invented. And Nurse Chapel was hot (which was of more interest to me than the ray-gun or philosophical stuff). Smiley There were a few good stories. Roddenberry wasn't trying to create real science fiction (but had a couple of talented writers) but used the aliens-and-ray guns stories to make points about present-day (1960s) society and politics: 'A Private Little War' was really about Vietnam for example. He reckoned if he wrapped it up in the trappings of kiddie sci-fi he could get away with it. That said as I grew up I went off it when I realised, as a magazine article pointed out, that the 'good guys', the Federation, were really totalitarians, as shown by Kirk violating 'the Prime Directive' of non-interference when he ran across an 'alien' culture he didn't like, spreading the American, erm, Federation way. The Federation was obviously 1960s America, the Enterprise its military. Oh, and the fact that most of the 'aliens' looked suspiciously human and spoke perfect English (sure, the 'universal translator'... shyeah, right... you've never met these people before; the gizmo won't work!) got to me.

'TNG' was pretty well done, nice effects, some good stories and some likeable and even world-class actors, and the Kirkian approach was ditched in favour of the Prime Directive. This Federation was more like the EU or UN with some teeth than the US. Riker seemed like the executive officer (deputy captain... 'Number One' comes from the British Navy; Roddenberry loved the Hornblower stories of C.S. Forester) of a real Navy ship, the tough disciplinarian doing the captain's dirty work in that department. Gates McFadden reminded me of an old girlfriend. Smiley Big step up: having an actual international cast (thanks to better transport and a bigger budget?) not just North Americans doing vaudeville-like stage accents ('Kyeptin!' or 'Ye canna break the laws of physics'). But the human, English-speaking aliens were still a problem. From here on they usually had foam rubber glued to their foreheads, a go at realism I imagine. Worf was kind of a cutout ('A warrior' blah blah blah).

'DS9' had potential, like the bar scene in Star Wars as a whole series, rough and un-'Trek'-like. But I think it went downhill into 'space opera' and typical Trekness. Didn't watch much of it. Terry Farrell was lovely; Nana Visitor wasn't bad either. René Auberjonois as Odo the shape-shifter was a nice touch. I liked the one where Quark and his nephew were the Roswell aliens and the implanted translator gizmos in them didn't work so the Army people and we were totally lost hearing them speak Ferengi.

The Maquis were cool: the libertarians of this allegory, pointing out that the Federation weren't necessarily the good guys. (That and Michelle Forbes was a knockout.)

'Voyager', from what little I saw of it, had as a cartoonist said plots that were a cross between 'Battlestar Galactica' and 'Gilligan's Island'. Expected Kate Mulgrew at any time to whip out a captain's hat and whomp the blond guy, Paris, with it. Couldn't buy into the black Vulcan ('the brother from another planet', 'Tuvok Shakur'): I think the Vulcans and Romulans - who are cool - are supposed to be based on the Japanese. The holographic doctor (with a 'tude!) was a nice touch and Kes was adorable. Liked how her character ended up, kind of apotheosised. I understood Jeri Ryan's appeal but didn't feel that way.

'Enterprise' had some potential but as far as I could tell from what little I saw it was typical 'TNG'-ish cash-cow stuff. Didn't look retro. Liked having Hoshi, a linguist, in the crew, finally acknowledging that they are trying to talk to aliens. Jolene Blalock as a sex symbol was overrated.

Roddenberry was militantly anti-religious but I understand that changed in the shows after he died: the Bajorans' (Michelle Forbes' people) faith got some respect for example.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 01:24:49 PM by The young fogey » Logged

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2007, 03:04:14 PM »

I havn't read every post, but most of them.  I have to put my 2 cents in. 

I HATE VOYAGER!!!!!  IT IS THE MOST HORRIBLE STAR-TREK EVER!!!!! 

DS9 is the most amazing one.  TNG was good too, but I LOVE DS9. Its so awesome! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2007, 10:25:12 PM »

Don't keep it in. Let us know how you *really* feel.

Wink Cheesy

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2007, 10:26:04 PM »

I HATE VOYAGER!!!!!  IT IS THE MOST HORRIBLE STAR-TREK EVER!!!!! 

Two words:

Spock's Brain.

Ebor

alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2007, 10:26:46 PM »

Resistance is Futile Angry
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2007, 10:31:10 PM »

Captain Kirk/William Shatner is unfairly criticised: he was great in TOS and was a respected stage actor (Shakespeare at Stratford, Broadway... probably where the famous Shatnerian diction comes from) before 'joining Starfleet'. Handsome, the all-American hero (not bad for a Canadian): it worked. He didn't get too hammy until the movies (most of which were stupid IMO) IIRC. The brilliant, restrained, conflicted Mr Spock is one of the greatest TV characters invented. And Nurse Chapel was hot (which was of more interest to me than the ray-gun or philosophical stuff).

Three words: T. J. Hooker

Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2007, 10:31:22 PM »

If less then 1 Ohm..

Ebor

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2007, 10:39:02 PM »

If less then 1 Ohm..

Ebor

And if greater than 1 Ohm....IT IS NO LONGER FUTILE!!! 

That may have been implied... Huh    Wink

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2007, 10:40:17 PM »

Don't keep it in. Let us know how you *really* feel.

Wink Cheesy

Ebor

Well now that you mention it....

(answer pending...could take a while, I want to come up with something really whimsical!  Or I may just add exclamation points next time, hopefully this will sufice for the grand Archon)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2007, 11:27:55 PM »

Well now that you mention it....

(answer pending...could take a while, I want to come up with something really whimsical!  Or I may just add exclamation points next time, hopefully this will sufice for the grand Archon)

Worf: I do not smirk. But if I did, this would be a good opportunity.
from "The Darkness and the Light" DS9

Ebor

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »

Worf was a fun character Smiley Sometimes just a look from him was laugh out loud funny. At other times, just a single word rom him made you laugh (e.g., when he is greedily eating Riker's eggs on the Enterprise, and looks at up his astonished shipmates, and says in his deep, matter of face voice: "delicious".)

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2007, 05:34:21 PM »

Remember

"I am *not* a Merry Man." ?

Ebor

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »

Qoy qeylIs puqloD.
Qoy puqbe'pu'.
yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw.
maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'.
nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'.
batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma'
DImuv. pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'.
mamevQo'. maSuvtaH. ma'ov.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2007, 11:52:13 AM »

I was looking back at this thread and noticed that it has been tagged with "heretical".  I'm not sure why unless it is could be from a rabid "Star Wars" fan.  Grin Wink

Ebor

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »

Hmm, or perhaps someone who can't fathom there being any legit Star Trek other than the original. I've come across such people (my Dad is one actually) and they seem rather like KJV-only people in their stance.  Cool

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2007, 03:06:24 PM »

Hmm, or perhaps someone who can't fathom there being any legit Star Trek other than the original. I've come across such people (my Dad is one actually) and they seem rather like KJV-only people in their stance.  Cool

Ah! Good thought.  You could be right on that.  (and an interesting and amusing comparison to KJV-only-ism).

Ebor

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »

Resistance if fertile.  Cool

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »

Two Bumps

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »

With the re-awakening of this thread it struck me that there was no mention of ST: Enterprise.  I'm catching up with them on Netflix and and a good bit through the 1st season.  There were some quite decent stories and characters in that one. The theme song was a bit jarring/out of pattern.  But there was some interesting consideration of such things as the very first encounters with some aliens such as the Andorians and the Ferengi.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2013, 09:08:10 PM »

With the re-awakening of this thread it struck me that there was no mention of ST: Enterprise.  I'm catching up with them on Netflix and and a good bit through the 1st season.  There were some quite decent stories and characters in that one. The theme song was a bit jarring/out of pattern.  But there was some interesting consideration of such things as the very first encounters with some aliens such as the Andorians and the Ferengi.

The stories about the ferengi and the Borg were awful.  Just shows you how much they were scraping at the bottom of the barell for ideas.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »

I haven't gotten to any where Captain Archer and his crew encounter any Borg and I've only seen the first one with the Ferengi.  But I thought that it had some interesting points about how they interact with each other and it showed some differences within the race.  There Andorians are interesting (and I saw "Journey to Babel" with the first Andorian when it first aired) and complex. I also like that the tech has advanced that their antennae move... so I'm a Geek, you knew that.  Wink

So far I haven't seen any that were scraping any barrels.  "Spock's Brain" "The Omega Glory"  those were ummmm not high on the heap.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »

First 50 Rules of acquisition:

Once you have their money ... never give it back.
Never pay more for an acquisition than you have to.
Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity.
A man is only worth the sum of his possessions. (From Enterprise, episode "Acquisition"; sloppy script-writing, as rule 6 (see above) was already given in DS9)
Keep your ears open.
Small print leads to large risk.
Opportunity plus instinct equals profit.
Greed is eternal.
Anything worth doing is worth doing for money.
A deal is a deal ... until a better one comes along.
A contract is a contract is a contract (but only between Ferengi).
A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
Never place friendship above profit.
A wise man can hear profit in the wind.
Nothing is more important than your health--except for your money.
There's nothing more dangerous than an honest businessman.
Never make fun of a Ferengi's mother ... insult something he cares about instead.
It never hurts to suck up to the boss.
War is good for business.
Peace is good for business.
She can touch your lobes but never your latinum.
Profit is its own reward.
Never confuse wisdom with luck.
Expand, or die.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2013, 10:27:15 PM »

Smiley  Thanks Marc

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2013, 10:35:32 PM »

I used to have a book of the Rules of Acquisition... though I was let down that it didn't actually have all the rules.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »

Btw, I'm not sure why the poll now has two options for "It wasn't bad, but wasn't that good either." I assume the first one was originally a completely negative one ("It stinks" or something), and somehow it got changed during a server problem, as has happened with other polls on the site. I could be wrong, but I would imagine that's the case.  Huh

alexpetros

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »

I enjoyed it. I thought it was good. Voyager was a lot better than TNG, but my hatred of that series is no secret  Grin

I loved the cheesiness of it! Cheesiness is part of what makes Sci-Fi great! Farscape anyone?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »

I used to have a book of the Rules of Acquisition... though I was let down that it didn't actually have all the rules.

It's like the "Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries"  in the Schlock Mercenary SF web comic by Howard Tayler.  Only about half of them have been revealed as far as I know.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:52:30 PM by Ebor » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »

I was going to start watching Enterprise tonight, but I couldn't pull the trigger. I just couldn't. Bakula may always just be "that Quantum Leap guy" to me  Undecided  So anyway, I decided to work my way through Voyager from beginning to end instead (I already watch TNG and DS9 on a semi-regular basis.) Just got done with the first episode of ST:V. I had to take a break about 4 times. Though that was partially my own fault and not the show. Still, this may be a long 129 hours of television for me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:38:56 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »

I was going to start watching Enterprise tonight, but I couldn't pull the trigger. I just couldn't. Bakula may always just be "that Quantum Leap guy" to me  Undecided  So anyway, I decided to work my way through Voyager from beginning to end instead (I already watch TNG and DS9 on a semi-regular basis.) Just got done with the first episode of ST:V. I had to take a break about 4 times. Though that was partially my own fault and not the show. Still, this may be a long 129 hours of television for me.

I never could get into Enterprise after enjoying Voyager, DS9, and TNG, it seems I was not the only one, I was not sure at the time, because I was going through difficult issues at home.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »

I liked Voyager ok once Seven of Nine came on. Her character had some depth.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
alexpetros

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »

I liked Voyager ok once Seven of Nine came on. Her character had some depth.

PP

Ah, Seven of Nine.
What more needs to be said?
Tags: Voyager Star Trek Borg liar Communist Star Wars 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: