OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:17:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the deal with cell phones?  (Read 4346 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: December 16, 2006, 01:20:53 AM »

In today's world, is a cellular phone a necessity or a luxury? I've been reluctant get one, considering that they've been linked to brain cancer. Furthermore, I don't want to be part of a long-term contract, so maybe I should get a pre-paid phone. What company offers the best plan? I've been thinking about buying a prepaid plan for $20 that includes 200 minutes.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 01:39:06 AM »

I beleive the link between cell phones and brain tumors has been debunked or at least criticized heavily.

I used to be anti-cell phone as I saw it as a luxury but now I realize I am much safer with one and they are pretty cool. If you are moving across state to go to college you NEED one.

200 minutes is not enough--suck it up and get a one year plan (I don't like 2 year plans).  www.myrateplan.com has a good comparison.  I personally recommend Verizon. Get one of the free phones or better yet one of the ones that pays you lol.  Enjoy! Life will never be the same (in a good way)!

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 01:40:55 AM »

200 minutes is not enough

200 minutes is not enough for a month of calls?

How about Net10?:

http://www.net10-store.com/direct/net10/phonelist.jsp?tech=GSM4&techzip=98505

Peace.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 01:41:14 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 01:57:50 AM »

200 minutes is not enough for a month of calls?

How about Net10?:

http://www.net10-store.com/direct/net10/phonelist.jsp?tech=GSM4&techzip=98505

Peace.

Matthew, I use approximately 1500 minutes a month. Luckily, 1000 minutes of that is free as with companies like Verizon, you get free long distance and free calls to other people with Verizon.  I don't think pay as you go (which is a world class rip off) has that at all. You will be running out of minutes left and right, unless you are the type of person that never calls anyone ever.

I have never heard of that company you linked to. How about just once, you do something mainstream and go to that website i showed you, and pick one of the three major companies in order of my recommendation:

Verizon
Cingular
Sprint

TMobile may be popular on the west coast; I am not sure, but Verizon has the best coverage area of anyone. I can drive from NC to NY without losing a call--the whole 10 hours.

Please just go with the flow and stop messing with these pay as you go weird sounding scams. They rip you off. Just get a basic one year contract and keep control over yourself. You get so many cool options: free long distance, free calling inside the network provider you belong to, no roaming charges, etc. with companies like Verizon.  I can't guarantee any of that with prepaid, and plus, their phones look ugly LOL

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 02:00:58 AM »

Please just go with the flow and stop messing with these pay as you go weird sounding scams. They rip you off. Just get a basic one year contract and keep control over yourself. You get so many cool options: free long distance, free calling inside the network provider you belong to, no roaming charges, etc. with companies like Verizon.  I can't guarantee any of that with prepaid, and plus, their phones look ugly LOL

I really, really, really, really hate long-term contracts.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 02:11:00 AM »

1 year is not long term. 2 years is.

Get used to contracts. Service oriented things are the way of the future, and there is no way to avoid it. You will be much happier in life if you don't ALWAYS go against the grain.  A one year contract is a committment to be the same with your plan for one year.  Is that really too long for you?  The benefits far outweigh the downsides.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 02:11:15 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 02:52:56 AM »

In today's world, is a cellular phone a necessity or a luxury?

I wouldn't call it a necessity, unless you have special job or family-related needs. I wouldn't exactly call it a luxury though either. I think it falls somewhere in the middle. I've never owned one, though my wife has. We'll probably get one as our children get older.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 03:11:54 AM »

Verizon

My phone is Verizon and I'm very happy with it.  My whole family has Verizon so to add my additional phone was very cheap, plus we have unlimited minutes amongst the family, free long distance etc.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 03:19:27 AM »

1 year is not long term. 2 years is.

Get used to contracts. Service oriented things are the way of the future, and there is no way to avoid it. You will be much happier in life if you don't ALWAYS go against the grain.  A one year contract is a committment to be the same with your plan for one year.  Is that really too long for you?  The benefits far outweigh the downsides.

Matthew could go "mainstream" like me a get a Virgin Mobile phone.  Besides buying the phone, you are only required to put $20 on the phone every 90 days.  Of course, the rates are not that great, but if you hardly use it like me, then it is great.  I think it is $.25 the first 10 minutes on a given day, then $.10 a minute thereafter.  So, don't waste the phone to call someone if it isn't necessary, but if you already need to call someone, keep talking if you want.  If he has a landline and message machine he plans to use most of the time and just needs the phone for ocassional things, then nothing wrong with Virgin Mobile.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 03:53:05 AM »

Matthew could go "mainstream" like me a get a Virgin Mobile phone.  Besides buying the phone, you are only required to put $20 on the phone every 90 days.  Of course, the rates are not that great, but if you hardly use it like me, then it is great.  I think it is $.25 the first 10 minutes on a given day, then $.10 a minute thereafter.  So, don't waste the phone to call someone if it isn't necessary, but if you already need to call someone, keep talking if you want.  If he has a landline and message machine he plans to use most of the time and just needs the phone for ocassional things, then nothing wrong with Virgin Mobile.

What you are describing sounds like a pay-as-you go plan. With Net10 or Amp'd Prepaid, your calls would always be $.10 a minute without an additional charge. 

I could sign up for a plan with my local phone company to have 500 minutes a month for $25.99. I wouldn't mind signing a contract, since that is something I could afford.
If I had a cell, I wouldn't plan on having a home phone.

Sorry, Matthe hit the wrong button and accidently modified your post.  It's restored
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 04:33:48 AM by dantxny » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 04:34:02 AM »

What you are describing sounds like a pay-as-you go plan. With Net10 or Amp'd Prepaid, your calls would always be $.10 a minute without an additional charge. 

I could sign up for a plan with my local phone company to have 500 minutes a month for $25.99. I wouldn't mind signing a contract, since that is something I could afford.
If I had a cell, I wouldn't plan on having a home phone.

All's I'll say is if you're going to get a phone, get a mainstream company.  I use sprint and it works great.  Can even get calls in the Subway and almost never get dropped calls.  Also, I would agree to get a contract.  You "usually" get taken care of better, and it's cheaper in the long run.  Also, unfortanutetly, you'll tend to find that you use a cell more than a land line.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 06:52:53 AM »

Qwest is a mainstream company...

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 08:08:17 AM »

If you must go with a prepaid service, check out Cingular's Go Phone plans. http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/go-phones/

The minutes aren't too bad for the price for prepaid, plus it has nights and weekends minutes to stretch out your time. That being said, you'll get the best deals by far with regular plans.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 08:36:13 AM »

Cingular prepaid charges $29.99 for 200 minutes while Amp'd only charges $20.

Amp'd does seem like a "mainstream" company:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amp'd

Amp'd also has hybrid plans that are month-to-month, which is the middleground between prepaid and a contract plan:
http://get.ampd.com/rate_plans/details_hybrid.php

I wouldn't mind paying $30 a month for 500 anytime minutes.

A hybrid cell phone plan provides a third option for those who don't quite fit into the standard monthly rate plan or the pay as you go plan. A hybrid plan has some advantages from each that just might suit you better than either of the other two.

The main advantage of a hybrid plan is that the subscriber does not need to enter into a contract, go through a credit check or supply a deposit. In this way it is similar to the prepaid pay as you go cell phone plan. However, the hybrid plan requires a monthly top-off, or payment towards the plan's minutes. This is commonly US$30-$40, which can be purchased one of several ways. The monthly required payment makes the hybrid plan similar to a standard plan, but yields less minutes on the dollar than a standard contractual plan —- though more minutes than a pay as you go plan.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-hybrid-cell-phone-plan.htm

Is 25.99 a month for 500 minutes good for a regular plan? That's what my parents have from Qwest.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:00:35 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 11:58:12 AM »

How does Amp'd sound mainstream? They were founded in late 2005 and no one knows who they are. On top of that no one else has their service probably so you are not going to get a lot of in-network free calling.

Pay as you go is a rip off, although for Elisha it may work, but you Matthew are going to be a college student away from home; you have no idea how much you are going to be using that phone.  Anyway, if you are going to insist on pay as you go, I'd go with Virgin mobile because they sound like a reputable company. you get what you pay for.  I'd pay a little extra up front and get a mainstream plan though.  You will have to sign a 1 year lease to get an apartment, you will have to sign a 15 or 30 year mortgage to get a house, you will have to sign a 4 or 5 year contract to get a car unless you buy a junker or you save up the money first--so why is it so hard to stomach getting a one year phone plan?

Please Buy My Book!

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 01:19:34 PM »

The prepaid minutes plans work great if you only want a cell phone for emergency purposes, and you use a landline for your day-to-day calling. I tried the prepaid thing for my day-to-day calling at one point, and it just didn't work (I hate those contracts as well), I ended up just getting a landline and ended up throwing the cell away. More recently I got verizon, 2 yr. plan, and I'm happy with it, $40 a month for 450 anytime minutes, but free nights, weekends, and in-network calling (and many people have verizon, so this covers a lot of calls). When planning long phone calls I usually do them in evening or on the weekend if not to another verizon customer and while I end up using my phone for 1000-1500 minutes a month, and I use a calling card with an 800 number (usually on the weekends) for my international calls; I have yet to go over 200 anytime minutes. In the end, it's actually cheaper than a landline and, for me, much more convenient. Take the jump, sign the contract, you'll be happy you did.

I'd even recommend the 2 yr. plan with verizon, it's a reputable company with a good network and I'm sure you'll be needing a phone over the course of the next 2 years...plus with the 2 year plan you can get better deals on phones. The new LG Chocolate for Verizon Wireless (a $300 phone) is Free ($40 up front before the mail-in rebate) with a 2 yr. contract with Verizon at http://www.wirefly.com/ ...and there are just as good, or better, deals out there with other phones. The discount on the retail price is comprable to 8 months worth of your contract. The deal is mutually beneficial to yourself and the company.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 01:20:18 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 02:10:45 PM »

I would suggest a 2 year plan--you most often will get NATIONAL coverage. Everywhere you need ot travel, you will have a phone. LD is free, etc. I pay $40 a month (plus taxes, which are often substantial) and i have LOTS of minutes. PLus, with Cingular, you also get roll-over, so my minutes accumulate and I NEVER have to even think about how much I'm using my phone--I use it whenever adn however long I want to.

I would, however, dissuade you from looking at Wirefly. I got a RAZR from them when they were still $400 phones. It cost me $170 up front, with a full rebate after 6 months of service. Sounds good, no? Well, I didnt get my rebate until 1year4months after I purchased the phone/contract. It gets sent to and processed by so many different companies before it comes to you. I honestly thought that I was never going to get it back. I emailed dozens of times and I had several lengthy and upsetting phone calls. I truly thought it was a gyp. So, while it turned out alright in the end, I would NOT advise anyone to do it, and I would never do it again myself.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 09:01:20 PM »

You will have to sign a 1 year lease to get an apartment, you will have to sign a 15 or 30 year mortgage to get a house, you will have to sign a 4 or 5 year contract to get a car unless you buy a junker or you save up the money first--so why is it so hard to stomach getting a one year phone plan?

Because I don't want to get stuck with an excessive bill that I don't want to pay. But if I can get on my parents' plan, that would be good, considering that I can afford $25.99 a month for 500 minutes, and it's not like I talk for more than 8 hours a month on the phone anyway. Qwest sounds pretty darn reputable to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/qwest

Peace.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:03:58 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 12:58:44 AM »

You can only raise a child so far. Then they must learn to make their own mistakes.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 01:08:47 AM »

Because I don't want to get stuck with an excessive bill that I don't want to pay. But if I can get on my parents' plan, that would be good, considering that I can afford $25.99 a month for 500 minutes, and it's not like I talk for more than 8 hours a month on the phone anyway. Qwest sounds pretty darn reputable to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/qwest

Peace.

Why do you even post on internet forums? You already know everything there is to know about life already LOL

Please Buy My Book!

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 04:33:26 AM »

Pay as you go is a rip off, although for Elisha it may work, but you Matthew are going to be a college student away from home; you have no idea how much you are going to be using that phone.

I HAD a 2-yr Cingular contract at one point...something like $35 a month.   The most minutes I EVER used a month was about 150 and that was me TRYING to abuse them.  Well, I lost my phone (actually, I left it in someone's truck) and found out that Cingular wouldn't get me a new phone (it was part of the contract - the phone), so I decided to break the contract and buy the Virgin Mobile phone.  Since I broke the contract, I believe I have saved money all things considered.

1) my phone is always on buzz so as not to disturb coworkers, people in church, etc.
2) I don't WANT to be available by phone 24/7.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 11:13:45 AM »

I don't own a home phone and when I don't want to be available I turn the phone off. But if you are not a big phone user than like I said, pay as you go may be ok. In most cases it is economically a rip though.

Please Buy My Book!

SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 12:11:05 PM »

Matthew, you definitely need a cell phone. You will need it to call the police each time you get your butt kicked  by the other guys on campus.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 12:17:23 PM by SmoT » Logged

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 07:34:08 PM »

Matthew, you definitely need a cell phone. You will need it to call the police each time you get your butt kicked  by the other guys on campus.  Roll Eyes

Let's not be sexist here, SmoT...

I'm certain Chamberlain777 is quite 'capable' of being thrashed by anyone who encounters him, regardless of gender, age, or physical capabilities... Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 12:11:36 AM »

I sang in a Men's Slavonic chorus for a concert today.  Just before we started, one of the singers made an announcement about usual stuff, including please turn your cell phones, pagers, etc. off.  Between one of our songs (fortunately), the cell phone of ONE OF OUR SINGERS RINGS.   Angry  We wait, he takes 5 seconds to check it and turn it off and then we continue. 
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 03:41:56 AM »

Why do you even post on internet forums? You already know everything there is to know about life already LOL

Oh, so now you have a problem with Qwest Communications? It's not like I'd need more than 500 minutes a month. It is a standard plan, as you suggested.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 09:12:11 PM »

Mat:
 A cell phone might not be for you.
Studies have shown that cell phones have been linked to increased meat consumption, reduction of the rainforest, a sudden urge to vote Republican and enroll in N.R.A. , a decrease of self-loathing , distain for over priced organic produce and the ACLU , lack of recycling , support for the War in Iraq , and , oh yeah........global warming.

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 11:14:04 PM »

Hey, at least there is evidence to support that cell phones cause cancer.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 11:28:53 PM »

Hey, at least there is evidence to support that cell phones cause cancer.

BULL! There is no such evidence!

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 11:53:54 PM »

While the evidence may not yet be conclusive, certain studies have suggested a link between brain tumors and cell phone use:

http://computerworld.com//mobiletopics/mobile/story/0,10801,96625,00.html?source=Quigo0%2C10801%2C96625%2C00

But since I don't talk on the phone very often, it's not something I'd worry about.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 12:05:22 AM »

That study was for analog phones which no one uses anymore.

Here is some more current and relative info:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=cell+phone+cancer&btnG=Search+News

Please Buy My Book!

SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 12:05:58 AM »

Read more than 1 study, Matthew

-------

Cell Phones Don't Cause Brain Cancer

By Christine Gorman | Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2006 | Permalink

You can stop worrying about getting brain cancer from your cell phone. A massive study of just about every private cell phone user in Denmark shows no link between gabbing on your mobile and the development of brain tumors.....

http://time.blogs.com/daily_rx/2006/12/cellphones.html

---

Cell Phones Don't Cause Brain Tumors
01.19.06, 12:00 AM ET

THURSDAY, Jan. 19 (HealthDay News) -- Use your cell phone all you want without fear because it won't cause glioma, the most common type of brain tumor, British researchers report.

Although earlier studies had linked cell phone use with an increased risk of brain tumors, this new report and other research have found no connection.

The four-year study found that people who regularly use cell phones don't increase their risk of developing this type of tumor.

Researchers from the Universities of Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester and the Institute of Cancer Research in London report their finding in the Jan. 21 issue of the British Medical Journal.

In their study, the researchers collected data on cell phone use by 966 people aged 18 to 69 years who had been diagnosed with a glioma, and 1,716 healthy individuals.

Use of cell phones had no relationship for risk of glioma, regardless of the length of use or the geographical area where phones were used, according to lead researcher Patricia McKinney, a professor of pediatric epidemiology at the University of Leeds' Institute of Genetics, Health, and Therapeutics.

There was a significantly increased risk for tumors that developed on the same side of the head as the phone was used, the researchers found. But this was offset by a decrease in the risk on the opposite side of the head.

This disparity was probably due to people's faulty memory, the researchers suggested. People who have gliomas tend to link cell phone use to the side of the head where the tumor was found. This resulted in "over reporting" of use of a phone on the same side as the tumor, which resulted in "under reporting" phone use on the opposite side of the head, the researchers wrote.

"Use of a mobile phone, either in the short or medium term, is not associated with an increased risk of glioma," the researchers noted. "This is consistent with most but not all published studies."

One expert thinks these findings are convincing evidence for the lack of any association between cell phone use and brain tumors.

"Gliomas are the most common and most deadly primary brain tumors, as opposed to metastatic brain tumors," said Dr. John S. Yu, co-director of the Comprehensive Brain Tumor Program at the Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, in Los Angeles. "This study of glioma patients and control patients found no correlation between cell phone usage time or overall years of use with the incidence of gliomas."

As to why patients associated their tumor with cell phone use, Yu said this may be due to believing that cell phone use was responsible for the tumor. "This suggested a memory bias to attribute the tumor occurrence to the side of cell phone use," he said.

"This study is relatively definitive," Yu added. "So the fears that were brought up by other studies are, to some degree, put to rest by this study. Therefore, use your free minutes."

More information

The National Library of Medicine can tell you more about brain tumors.

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2006/01/19/hscout530453.html

---

And there are many more...

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »

What I've been thinking about is how Johnnie Cochran developed a brain tumor on the same side of his head on which he used his cell phone.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:08:19 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 10:05:19 AM »

Anecdotal evidence? Matthew, I'm suprised at you. You took a logic class, no?  Grin
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »

What I've been thinking about is how Johnnie Cochran developed a brain tumor on the same side of his head on which he used his cell phone.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc?   That is a logical fallacy. 

One person becoming ill is "proof" against the work of acredited researchers?  No it isn't.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 10:43:03 AM »

And 100% of people who die of cancer drank water.  Therefore, water causes cancer, too, right?  Roll Eyes

Remember this rule, Matthew:  correlation does not equal causation.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2006, 09:07:49 PM »

Anecdotal evidence? Matthew, I'm suprised at you. You took a logic class, no?  Grin

Logic, or a basic research methodology class...

{Edit}

It is incredibly hard to prove causation, and the only methods that coud do so would be considered unethical by most standards... I mean, unless you're a researcher for Stalin or for Hitler, that is.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 09:09:46 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: