Moderated Forums > Orthodox-Catholic Discussion

The SSPX and the Orthodox

<< < (3/5) > >>

Amadeus:
Dear JoeZ:

I am equally amazed at you pre-occupation with the SSPX.

St. Vincent de Paul Church in Kansas City, MO, is, indeed, an SSPX chapel. The city is the site of the schismatic group's U.S. District Headquarters.

But have you checked out these Tridentine parishes around your area?

Nearby is a Roman Catholic Parish Church, "Our Lady of Sorrows Church," which celebrates a licit Tridentine Mass every Sunday at 9:15 a.m, in addition to the usual NO Masses.

In Kansas, the Archdiocese of Kansas City itself has 3 parishes celebrating Tridentine Masses:

Kansas City "Blessed Sacrament Church"
Sundays, 10:45 a.m.

Rossville "Church of St. Stanislaus"
Sundays, 8:30 a.m.

Topeka "St. Joseph Church"
Sundays, 12:00 noon

In the Diocese of Wichita, "St. Anthony's Church" celebrates the Tridentine Mass on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month.

All in all, I think there are now thousands of parishes in the world and hundreds in 120 dioceses throughout the U.S. which have been granted an indult to celebrate the Tridentine Mass.

The SSPX group was and still is disobedient to the Holy See. Now, it is DEFIANT! They are still in schism, the negotiations for their return to communion with the Roman Catholic Church having been stalled.

AmdG

JoeZollars:
Dear friends:

My purpose in posting this was to learn the Orthodox views of the SSPX, the TLM movement, and the Tridentine Mass.  I have certainly learned a few things by this thread.

Thank you,
Joe Zollars

JoeZollars:
"I am equally amazed at you pre-occupation with the SSPX."

One post equals preocupation?  if you had read my other posts regarding the SSPX you would know I highly recomend against anyone attending an SSPX Chapel.

"But have you checked out these Tridentine parishes around your area?"  As an indult Catholic, I have.  But I live in podunk Kansas where the nearest Indult parish is over 200 miles away.  

"In the Diocese of Wichita, "St. Anthony's Church" celebrates the Tridentine Mass on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month."  

Yes.  This is where I assist at the Most Holy Sacrifice, when I have the oportunity.  

"All in all, I think there are now thousands of parishes in 120 dioceses throughout the U.S. which have been granted an indult to celebrate the Tridentine Mass."

Hundreds, maybe, but not thousands.  

"The SSPX group was and still is disobedient to the Holy See. Now, it is DEFIANT! They are still in schism, the negotiations for their return to communion with the Roman Catholic Church having been stalled."

Yes the SSPX is still in schism.  but what one must realize is that they want the gaurantee from Rome that they will be able to continue offering the Tridentine Mass free from modernist inovations.  The problem is Rome refuses to grant this gauruntee.  When the SSPX went to Rome during the Holy Year, the Pope allowed them to offer Holy Mass in St. Peter's Basilica.  

Joe Zollars

The young fogey:
Joe,

--- Quote ---My purpose in posting this was to learn the Orthodox views of the SSPX, the TLM movement, and the Tridentine Mass.  I have certainly learned a few things by this thread.
--- End quote ---

Now that you put it that way...

Orthodoxy as such really doesn't care about non-Orthodox churches.

As for opinions of Orthodox people, they range from 'nothing non-Orthodox has grace so who cares?' to 'it's better than what they do now' to 'oh, that's beautiful - so close to us'.

bripat22:
 i will never forget a dear Babushka who greeted me with "Oh you are Catholic!  So Close! So Close!"  

Preferred that much more then the ex-Episcopalian convert who kept spouting "Uniate" at me with no knowledge whatsoever of the Byzantine Catholics except through prejudice.

I will take the Babushkas EVERY time! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version