OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 26, 2014, 10:22:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Game Sparks Call For Ban  (Read 1445 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: December 13, 2006, 11:07:39 AM »

Christian game sparks call for ban

This is sort of silly. On the one hand, it's a freakin game! How is this any more extreme than almost every other game out there? On the other hand, if the critics (and I've seen far more than this one article is talking about) were consistent, then they should also be calling for a ban of the Bible at Walmart, considering some of the explicit sexual content and gruesome violence in it.
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »

It's just a bunch of book-burning, censorship-loving puritanical zealots who want to institute their own version of McCarthyism! Someone call the ACLU!

Cheesy Let's see how they like it!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »

But they don't object to war-games (worse violence) or GTA (sex and violence).  Nice.

I know, I know - eradicate the hold Christianity has in this country...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:17:33 PM »

I know, I know - eradicate the hold Christianity has in this country...
Didn't you know that was why the Founding Fathers wrote the First Amendment?  Roll Eyes
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 04:39:25 PM »

This game is about the "Rapture". There's nothing "Christian" about it.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 04:44:54 PM »

This game is about the "Rapture". There's nothing "Christian" about it.
Pray tell, where do these people get the idea for this "Rapture" thing (no, not that song by Blondie, the only bomb they ever did) anyway?

I wonder if the people calling for the banning of this game are the same ones that pitched a fit about The Passion of Christ?  Wouldn't that be an amazing coincidence?

I just wish some of these gaming companies would spend more time doing first-person sports games. You know, the same perspective as a game like DOOM only you'd be a fullback on a football team.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 04:55:16 PM »

Pray tell, where do these people get the idea for this "Rapture" thing (no, not that song by Blondie, the only bomb they ever did) anyway?
Out of their warped little minds, and the warped little minds of other nutjobs in the USA.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
FHL

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 06:40:54 PM »

Someone brought this game to my attention earlier this week, and honestly, from what I've heard about it, it's quite a ridiculous "new age" Protestant stunt, complete with modern Christian rock band advertisements on the loading screens.

However, when it comes to banning it... honestly, I can't see it being anything close to a big hit at all, why bother banning something that isn't going to sell?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 07:21:30 PM by FHL » Logged

"Let us love one another first, then in an atmosphere of love we can discuss theological matters." - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 07:06:50 PM »

I can't see it being anything close to a bit hit at all, why bother banning something that isn't going to sell?

Ironically, there has been more than one situation where a game has had it's sales increase because someone decided to go on a holy crusade against it. The most recent example--though probably the least visible since it would have sold well anyway--was some politician (British, I think) attacking the game Bully, because (if I remember correctly) the male character could kiss another male character.
FHL

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 07:15:19 PM »

Ironically, there has been more than one situation where a game has had it's sales increase because someone decided to go on a holy crusade against it. The most recent example--though probably the least visible since it would have sold well anyway--was some politician (British, I think) attacking the game Bully, because (if I remember correctly) the male character could kiss another male character.

That's definatly true. Sometimes I wonder if we opened up a can of worms when the whole of Christianity jumped on the Da Vinci Code. Maybe it would have just flown under the rader if we hadn't acknowledged it?

don't mean to get deep or political or anything, it's just a thought

edit: and ironically, I own Bully, and I was not aware of this. I didn't even know the character could do that. However, I would have definatly thought that the fact that the character can push skinny kids into trash cans would have caused more trouble.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 07:20:20 PM by FHL » Logged

"Let us love one another first, then in an atmosphere of love we can discuss theological matters." - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 08:18:46 PM »

Out of their warped little minds, and the warped little minds of other nutjobs in the USA.
It appears you have marginalized them quite well in your heart and your mind.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 05:50:20 AM »

Actually, the idea originates in England. It comes from the visions of a woman called Margaret MacDonald and was first taught by John Darby's Plymouth Brethren. Quite how an idea with such a provenance ever made such inroads into supposedly sola scriptura Protestant circles in America is beyond me. Nonetheless, it's always good for a laugh when you come across a 'sola scripturalist' Rapture believer and ask them to show their belief in Scripture.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: