OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 10:37:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Anything You Dislike About Christmas?
I don't really celebrate Christmas (on Dec. 25th). - 6 (42.9%)
All the phony traditions, like Santa Claus. - 2 (14.3%)
All the special expectations that others have. - 1 (7.1%)
It's just a sad time of year for personal reasons. - 0 (0%)
Those darn atheists try to take Christ out of Christmas! - 0 (0%)
It's very expensive or time consuming. - 0 (0%)
Increased workload at job. - 0 (0%)
I never get what I want. - 0 (0%)
I don't really celebrate Christmas (on Dec. 25th). - 1 (7.1%)
None that I can think of! - 4 (28.6%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything You Dislike About Christmas?  (Read 920 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: December 13, 2006, 10:24:48 AM »

I'm guessing that most people have at least one thing that they dislike about either Christmas, or the Christmas holiday/season in general. What is the thing that you dislike the most?

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:11:27 PM »

I like how the agitation of the increased traffic, the stress over getting presents, the desire for vacation when one can't get it, and the addition of weather changes make people more irretable and ironically act less Christian-like during this season.

OTOH: Charitable giving goes up (not everyone does it for the tax write-off)...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »

I couldn't decide between the top two choices, but ended up choosing Santa. I just feel there is too much emphasis on him, emphasis which should be on Christ.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:21:45 PM »

I think it's better to reflect on the blessedness of the season in a spirit of charity instead of focusing on what we dislike in others.

That said: Given other debates on this list, shouldn't this poll include the Christmas Tree, aka the "Branch Theory" Tree?

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:38:48 PM »

I think it's better to reflect on the blessedness of the season in a spirit of charity instead of focusing on what we dislike in others.

That said: Given other debates on this list, shouldn't this poll include the Christmas Tree, aka the "Branch Theory" Tree?

LMAO!!!   Cheesy Cheesy  Wow....just wow....

I personally cannot STAND how people have made gifts the focus of their Christmas.  Praying and focusing on Jesus is not just an "afterthought" its a 5 minute thanksgiving before eating...which should be done anyway. 

When people OBSESS about what they are getting and get angry when they don't get "exactly what they want" on Christmas...that's when I pull out the Christianity sword!   Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: