OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:42:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PHILOKALIA, The Great Christian Classic released in India  (Read 4164 times) Average Rating: 0
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« on: December 12, 2006, 06:46:36 PM »

PHILOKALIA, THE GREAT CHRISTIAN CLASSIC IN MALAYALAM IS RELEASING on December 8

KOTTAYAM, INDIA: 'PHILOKALIA' one of the great classics in Christian spiritual life (next only to Bible) is publishing in Malayalam language for the first time. This book is originated from Greek. The first volume out of the five volumes will be released on Friday, December 8,2006 at K. C. Mammen Mappila Hall,Kottayam. The meeting will be presided over by Archbishop Mar Joseph Powathil of Changanachery diocese and H.H. Mar Baselios Mar Thoma Didimos I, Catholicos of the East will give the apostolic blessings.The head of the Department of External Church Relations of the Russian Orthodox Church, Metropolitan Kyrill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad will release the book and the first copy will be received by Mr.K.M.Mathew, Chief Editor,Malayala Manorama.

The Director of Russian Cultural Centre Fyodor Anatolovich Kharoshovsky will give the introductory speech and H.G Philipose Mar Chrysostom Mar Thoma Metropolitan will give the key note address.Bishop Mar Joseph Pandarasseril, Bishop Thomas Samuel, H.G. Thomas Mar Themothios of Jacobite Church and Rev.Dr.Geevarghese Panicker will give the felicitations. There will be Russian church choir and Choir of Orthodox Seminary Kottayam.

Before the Public meeting, there will be a seminar on 'HIGHER SPIRITUALITY' at 2.P.M., which will be inaugurated by Dr.Sukumar Azhikode. Presentation of Papers will be given by H.G Dr.Yakob Mar Irenaios Metropolitan of Chennai, Mr.P.Govindapillai, Dr.D.Babu Paul, Swamy Sakrananda and Dr.Joseph Thomas. The moderator of the Seminar is Rev.Dr.K.M.George.

The participants of the meeting will be given a book of 'ORU SADHAKANTE SANCHARAM', free of cost. There will be warm welcome to the Russian Metropolitan and his team in front of Mammen Mappila Hall at 5.P.M with elephants and Panchavadyam (traditional ensemble of five instruments).

The outcome of the prayers and meditation of ancient monks in Mount Athos of Greece, were compiled by a Saint, Mar Baselios in the name PHILOKALIA. Philokalia was written in Greek and found out by St.Makarios of Korinth and St.Nikodimos of Athos in 1792. Later on Russian Monk Theophan translated into Russsian in 1877. It is from Russian language that the Philokalia is translated to English. The new released version contains English and Malayalam language simultaneously. It is for the first time that the PHILOKALIA is published in two languages at a time.

PHILOKLIA was unknown for many people. Yet some portions was translated to Malayalam by Swamy Sidhinadananda. This was published by Rev.Francis Acharya of Kurisumala Ashram with preface of Metropolitan H.G. Dr.Paulos Mar Gregorios of Delhi.

This five-volume of PHILOKALIA is publishing in full text by Dr.Cherian Eapen, President of ROY International Children's Foundation, Kottayam.

Copies will be given free of cost to the spiritual organizations who register their names with the Foundation, by writing to the following address:

President, RIC Foundation
5-B, Century Towers, M.C.Road
Kottayam-686001
Kerala, India.

[Source: GregorianStudyCircle - Yahoo Groups]
zakmathew

Faith: Orthodox Syrian
Jurisdiction: Trivandrum

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »

I would like to get a copy of Philokalia.  Kindly advise by email, if this is possible.

Regards,
Zachaaria Mathews
Doha - Qatar
Mobile: 00974 66916510
Email:

E-mail address removed to protect against bots.  Members can contact each other through pm.
Salpy

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:29:36 PM by Salpy » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Zakmathew!   Smiley

Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:45:15 PM »

I was under the impression that the Philokalia was for use by Eastern Orthodox only, no? Otherwise I would get it...
zakmathew

Faith: Orthodox Syrian
Jurisdiction: Trivandrum

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »

It is for use for Orthodox church faithfuls for their spiritual enlightenment.
Look forward to have a copy of Philokalia for personal spiritual enlightenment and for learning
prayers ardently.

Regards,
Zachaaria Mathews
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:41:06 PM »

Gisasargavak,

I know very little about the Philokalia, but I think it is a compilation of writings from different Church Fathers.  I think some of them are not Church Fathers from the OO tradition, but some evidently are.  I think some of St. Evagrius' writings, for example, are in there.  

I have never heard it recommended as reading in the Armenian Church.  I have, however, seen it at a Coptic church's bookstore.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:41:46 PM by Salpy » Logged

ajomattackal

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »

Dear zak,
This malayalam(Indian) verson was earlier available in current books. It is 5 book combination , kept at a very low price.

Thomas varghese

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »

Thanks, Thomas!

Is it still available, or is it out of print now?

If it is still available, where can Zak get it?

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »

I know very little about the Philokalia, but I think it is a compilation of writings from different Church Fathers.  I think some of them are not Church Fathers from the OO tradition, but some evidently are.  I think some of St. Evagrius' writings, for example, are in there.  
The Philokalia is a collection of Hesychastic writings spanning from (I think) the 300s to the 1400s. St. Evagrius' writings on prayer are included.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags: Philokalia Indian Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: