OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:24:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Lists  (Read 864 times) Average Rating: 0
Azarus

Joke of the day??

« on: April 23, 2003, 12:18:41 PM »

Just a quick question.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a special name for a list of the folks you want to remember to pray for.  I'm at a loss as to what that name is.  I've always called it a "prayer list", but would like to know what the "religious" name is.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Azarus
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 04:49:49 PM »

I'm not sure if this is what you mean or not.  

Russians (perhaps others I don't know) have the custom of purchasing small prospora at the door of the church and sending these together with a list of names of people living and dead to be commemorated at the proskomidia.  In many places these names are just written on slips of paper but it is also very common for people to have small books with appropriate sections for the living and the dead.  My book has before each section appropriate prayers to be said at home (in other words it also functions as a personal prayer list for home usage) as in the "intercessions for the living and the dead."  My book has -Æ’-P-£-ÿ-Â¥-É-Â¥-ÿ-ò (pominanie - remembering) on the cover.  Sometimes they have -Æ’-+-+-Ã…-+-+-+-¦-è (same root) on the cover.

I don't know if this helps or confuses.

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: