OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 05:26:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Trends  (Read 1951 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: April 23, 2003, 09:56:10 AM »

First off, thanks to all who posted a pin on the pinmap. How cool it is to see where everyone is located.

I find it an interesting trend that the majority of our posters are in the eastern united states.

Whats up with that?

Bobby
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 10:08:56 AM »

That is where the majority of Orthodox live in the US. Just wait until I post my pin, then you will see how many Orthodox live by me.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 11:20:26 AM »

I think it's cool how close some of us live. Maybe, eventually, we should reconsider trying to get a "meeting" set up where we could meet some time. Maybe like this summer some time? Anyone interested?

Justin
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 11:32:51 AM »

Of course.

We were going to have OC.net gettogether last year, but things fell through as many of us went traveling.

This summer sometime would be an opportune time to get together. Anyone care to throw out any ideas?

Bobby
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 11:55:16 AM »

I am definitely interested in an OC.net get-together.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 11:59:15 AM »

Excellent.

A lot depends on how far out we want to go. Someone's house? Or maybe just meet somewhere, DC perhaps, and just walk around and go various places for the day? Maybe an amusement park? etc. etc.

A good halfway point seems to be anywhere between jersey and south carolina since that is where most all of us seem to be from.

Bobby

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 12:00:11 PM »

Perhaps we could meet in eastern PA like was being planned before? 10 of the 18 people who live in the US seem to be within driving distance of Eastern PA, and I know a few others who haven't put their pin in yet are also close to there.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 12:07:35 PM »

Eastern PA is good for me, like maybe Philadelphia or, even better, Lancaster.

How do the people coming from farther south feel?

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 12:11:41 PM »

Eastern PA works for me too. Hypo, since the map shows you leaving in the ocean, east of Greenland, can you bring your houseboat?

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
javamama

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 12:23:43 PM »

Computer illiteracy notice:  I tried to place my "pin", but it won't go.  What am I doing wrong?
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 12:43:03 PM »

Javamama -

Make sure you have the right map up. You might be looking at the USA, but if the field says "Africa," that's where your pin will go.

And don't select "North America" either. There is a USA map.

Fill out all the fields and stick your pin in the USA map. It should work.

I ended up off the east coast of Africa for awhile myself! Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 01:07:42 PM »

Sounds great to me!

Lancaster sounds nicer than Philadelphia. Maybe we could convert some of the Amish! Shocked
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 01:19:55 PM »

I would like Lancaster more as well, though that's mostly because I'm a country bumpkin and don't like the city Wink Personally, I'd like to be able to go to a place like St. Tihkon's to venerate the relics of Saint Alexis (Toth); if anyone else is interested in doing something at St. Tihkons, maybe we could have the meeting closer to South Canaan (just north of Moscow PA!)? On the other hand, that's on the other side of the state (in comparison with Lancaster). It'd make it easier for those to the North, but more difficult for those from the south (especially anyone coming from the Carolina's or below). Maybe before we think about a place we should see who's coming (that way we know what place would be roughly in the center). Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 01:23:23 PM by Paradosis » Logged
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 01:35:46 PM »

I must apologize to everyone here and especially the board administrators....

I somehow managed to put in my pin (the one that's in western Ohio) but then managed to indicate that I'm in the n/a location.

So, please everyone else learn from my mistake, and be certain to read the instructions before placing in your pin. If anyone is charged with correcting such nonsensical input as mine, please know I regret my ineptitude and the trouble it creates for you!

BTW, I still haven't figured out how to put in a smilie.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 10:49:05 PM »

Wow, I leave for five hours to go to Matins and everyone starts planning without me.   :'(      :cheeky:

I'm thinking the best structure for planning a get together would be to center it on a Saturday.  Not everyone works a monday through friday job and might not be able to get several days off.  If we base it on Saturday, then those of us who can make it early can drive there on Friday(maybe we'll have a beer and talk theology!) then saturday morning we can have a good meal, talk, and then go to vespers together.  Maybe one or two will stay saturday night and go to liturgy in the morning.  

As far as a place, St. Tikhon's would be fine with me.  It is a bit of a drive, but I've driven there before, and probalby will again.  Perhaps a few of us in the South might want to carpool...I know long drives are a lot easier when you have someone to talk with.  It would also give me the chance to visit Igumen Tikhon and Hieromonk Juvenaly again, which would be nice.  

I would rather wait for at least a month or two, as personally my life is kind of mixed up right now(and being in the midst of Holy Week isn't giving me the best chronical perspective) but I would think July or August would be best.  If we want to do it earlier, perhaps it could coincide with the St. Tikhon's 99th Annual pilgrimage with the Miraculous Tikhvon Theotokos icon being available for veneration.  Like I said, I prefer later, but if sooner is better with everyone I can probably do it.  

Chris,

Don't worry about it, most people messed up placing their pins on the board.  As far as smilies go, when you reply to a message all you have to do is click on the smiley you want to use that is above the window where you type your reply.  By clicking on that smilie, the necessary code is placed in the message.  This works the same way for all the other features as well.  If you have any other questions about how things work feel free to start a topic in Board News or PM me or another Admin/Mod.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: