OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 12:34:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the Orthodox Bible  (Read 945 times) Average Rating: 0
ORTHODOXia

« on: December 11, 2006, 06:33:55 AM »

Hello every one!  Smiley

I have a question about the Orthodox canonical Bible. I hope you will understand me because my english is not very good.   Undecided

Can you PLEASE give me the full and correct list of the books of the canonical Orthodox bible? i need specially the correct list of the books of the Old Testament.
I'm asking that because I saw on the internet a few lists of the orthodox bible and a few of them were different! and now I'm confused. For example: In some lists I saw that the Orthodox bible includes the 4 Maccabees book and in another list this book was not in the list (books 1 - 3 Maccabees were in all of the lists).
what about the Vision of Esdras (some times he is called 3 Esdras), is he in the orthodox bible or not? the Orthodox Bile includes only 1 and 2 esdras, right?
What about the Prayer of Menashe and psalm 151?

The Orthodox bible (Old + New Testament) have the same list of book in all Orthodox Churches (Diophysits), right?

Please give the full and correct list of the books of the Orthodox bible, and please give me the books in the correct order and write the number of the book in the bible (near the name of the book).
I hope that this list of books is accepted with the all Orthodox churches (greek, russian atc.).

Thank you!  Smiley

bye
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 06:37:49 AM by ORTHODOXia » Logged
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 09:00:50 AM »

This list was given to me in an Into To Orthodoxy class at an Antiochian parish. The list of books in the OT in order were given as

The Law
   Genesis
   Exodus
   Leviticus
   Numbers
   Deuteronomy

Historical
   Joshua
   Judges
   Ruth
   I and II Samuel (sometimes listed at I and II Kings)
   I and II Kings (sometimes labeled as III and IV Kings)
   I and II Chronicles
   Ezra
   Nehemiah
   Esther
   I and II Esdras
   Judith
   Tobit
   I, II and III Maccabees

Wisdom
   Job
   Psalms
   Proverbs
   Ecclesiastes
   Song Of Solomon
   Sirach (Ecclesiasticus)
   Wisdom of Solomon
   The Prayer of Manasseh

Prophets
 Major Prophets
   Isaiah
   Jeremiah
     Baruch
     Letter of Jeremiah
   Lamentations
   Ezekiel
   Daniel
     The Prayer of Azariah and the Song of the Three Young Men
     Susanna
     Bel and Dragon

Minor Prophets
   Hosea
   Joel
   Amos
   Obadiah
   Jonah
   Micah
   Nahum
   Habakkuk
   Zephaniah
   Haggai
   Zechariah
   Malachi

From the front of one of my Bibles, it lists IV Maccabees as being in an appendix to the Greek Bible.

The NT books are the same as everywhere else. I am not the most knowledgeable person on here by any means (or even Orthodox yet), so maybe someone can correct this if needs be. In the meantime, it should give you some basics on the subject.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:58:42 PM »

Do the Psalms include Psalm 151?

Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 08:25:47 PM »

The Orthodox bible (Old + New Testament) have the same list of book in all Orthodox Churches (Diophysits), right?

Not really, no. Though the list that Marat gave is pretty standard. Asking the Orthodox to give a canonical list is sort of like asking them to give a list of mortal sins... it's not that they don't all have a shared idea of which sins are of the more serious variety, it's just that you can't expect total and precise agreement. You found different lists because different people and different local Churches have endorsed different canons at different times, including up to the present time (there are some threads on this in the Orthodox/Catholic section). Even the 6th Ecumenical Council (Canon 2) seems to authorize the use of multiple canons.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 08:27:12 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: