OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:35:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Orthodox Church  (Read 1019 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« on: December 10, 2006, 04:17:10 AM »

Hey everyone, I am reading "The Orthodox Church" By Timothy Ware. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and extremely impressed. I find his approach to history rather balanced and I must say he is not really anti-non-orthodox Christian. Rather, he just explains the Eastern Orthodox faith. How do you all feel about this book?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
authio
Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 05:12:49 AM »

It's good.  What's not so good is that no one else has written a general history of the Orthodox Church from an Orthodox perspective, or if there are any they're too academic to be read by a general audience.  The Church needs more historians is my take.

BTW, that book was part of my catechism.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 06:32:53 AM »

I would agree with authiodionitist. It's a good introductory book for inquirers, but it is not a history- and nor does it set out to be.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Philokalia
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat

Faith: Roman Catholic

Hail Mary Full of Grace

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 07:03:47 AM »

I remember reading an early edition of it some decades ago. It introduced me to the Jesus Prayer and thus indirectly to my name here. It was quite good I recall, if you then read his "Orthodox Way" you will have had a good popular introduction to Orthodox history, tradition and  belief.

Violence is a lie, for it goes against the truth of our faith, the truth of our humanity. Violence destroys what it claims to defend: the dignity, the life, the freedom of human beings. Violence is a crime against humanity, for it destroys the very fabric of society.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 04:59:08 PM »

This book was quite helpful to me on my journey as it laid out the basics of the history of the Church and her theology.  However, one should know that there are some drastic changes between the original (1963?) edition and the new one.  Some of those changes have inspired some invective from more traditionalist parts of Orthodoxy.  Some traditionalists, while acknowledging that this book has been of superb help to those on their paths to becoming Orthodox still balk at much of it.  If you wish to read a review of this book by Hieromonk Patapios, I have included the URL below.  Please note that this review is not entirely in sycnh with my appraisal of Bishop Kallistos' book, but there are many in the Orthodox world who feel this way.  Read at your own risk and decide for yourself.

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/review_toc.aspx

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 12:55:10 AM »

I am a great admirer of that book. I know a number of people, for whom it was a major part of cathechism. I would highly recommend it. Later, I had a priveledge to belong to Bishop Kallistos's parish, when I was living in UK and I really enjoyed my conversations with the Bishop. He is very warm, humble and friendly.
Tags: Metr. Kallistos Ware 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: