OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:35:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perhaps Evergreen isn't a "hippie school" after all...  (Read 2219 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: December 07, 2006, 02:31:01 AM »

Within the state of Washington, the Evergreen State College is constantly the butt of jokes for being a "hippie college" with no real standards. However, outside of our state, it's recognized as one of the best colleges in the nation.

National study says Evergreen one of the nation’s top colleges for student learning and participation
http://www.evergreen.edu/news/releases/nov06/nationalstudy.htm

Evergreen named only public college in the west that ‘changes lives’
http://www.evergreen.edu/news/releases/july06/changeslives.htm

If you dig the Pacific Ocean, and don't mind if it rains eight days a week, Evergreen might be the college for you!

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 02:58:54 AM »

Well, I dont know about its academic standards, but the first time I heard about it over here on the East Coast it had to do more with certain common consumed narcotics rather than its interdisciplinary studies.
*shrug*

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:01:21 AM »

I almost went to College in Portland, but decided to go to Florida instead. I hope you understand why. Grin

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 03:05:14 AM »

Well, I dont know about its academic standards, but the first time I heard about it over here on the East Coast it had to do more with certain common consumed narcotics rather than its interdisciplinary studies.
*shrug*

There's going to be illicit drug use at every college, which is why I signed up for substance-free housing.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 03:11:55 AM »

You sign up for substance-free housing? You mean, you choose between drug and drug-free dorms? Is this a Left-coast thing? What kind of school is this?  Roll Eyes
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 03:14:01 AM »

You sign up for substance-free housing? You mean, you choose between drug and drug-free dorms? Is this a Left-coast thing? What kind of school is this?  Roll Eyes

You are allowed to have tobacco and alcohol in the other dorms, provided that you are of the legal age. That isn't particularly unique.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 03:14:26 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 03:24:42 AM »

Grin    Never heard of such a thing myself. Like that's really going to work with young people in college.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 03:27:38 AM »

Grin    Never heard of such a thing myself. Like that's really going to work with young people in college.

It's not too left field to say that drinking isn't a prerequisite for fun.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
FHL

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 05:31:35 AM »

Heh, I'm sorry Matthew777, but I had to laugh as well when I read that.

I think I know what you mean right now, but when you stated that you signed up for substance-free housing, you mentioned that it was due to illicit drug use. Illicit typically means illegal, which means it isn't allowed in the U.S. at all. You also stated this as a reply to dantxny's post about narcotics. Which are also not legal for recreational use, at all, anywhere, in the U.S.

Substance-free housing is not talking about illicit drugs, becuase illicit drugs are not allowed to be in this country at all, even in the housing that allows substance use. At least not in civilian hands for recreational use.

But really, I must say, I've only lived in the midwest and the south, maybe the left coast is just that liberal.  Roll Eyes

"Let us love one another first, then in an atmosphere of love we can discuss theological matters." - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 06:10:35 AM »

Heh, I'm sorry Matthew777, but I had to laugh as well when I read that.

Technically, illegal drugs aren't allowed anywhere on campus, but you are less likely to get flak for telling on your room-mates in substance-free housing.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 06:14:00 AM »

This is the academic program I've registered for:

Four Philosophers

Fall and Winter quarters
Faculty: David Marr
Major areas of study include: American philosophy, German philosophy, American and European intellectual history and modern literature.
Class Standing: Sophomores or above; transfer students welcome.
Prerequisites: Students wishing to enter the program in WINTER quarter should contact David Marr by email or phone (360-867-6751) prior to registration, or alternatively to stop by his office in Lab II 2249 during the Academic Fair, November 29, 2006, to discuss their academic preparation for the program.

In the beginning, the American philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson urged: “Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string.” Can we find out what he meant by that? Second, the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, Emerson's disciple and with him a co-founder of modern thought, gave himself to the “the incarnate wish for being otherwise, being elsewhere,” as he investigated the spiritualization of cruelty—his term for morals, culture, civilization. We will study the Nietzsche-Emerson connection. Third, the American philosopher William James, a soul-nephew of Emerson, believed that “reality, life, experience, concreteness, immediacy, use what word you will, exceeds our logic, overflows and surrounds it.” Was he right to exalt experience and temperament over reason and logic? Fourth, the contemporary German philosopher Odo Marquard bids farewell to matters of principle, declares that people no longer grow up, and argues that the best thing for us would be to go on a meaning diet. Sense or meaning, says this skeptic, “is always the nonsense one lets go.”

Self-trust, cruelty and culture, experience and meaning, the tyranny of making sense: each of these comes with a question mark and starts an investigation in Four Philosophers.
Four Philosophers is for the intellectually curious student who is capable of at least forty hours of hard study a week for six months. Though centered on these four thinkers, shadowing the four will be several others whose work we will also study: Henry David Thoreau, Herman Melville, Emily Dickinson, Charles Sanders Pierce, Susanne Langer, Saul Bellow and Jonathan Swift. The master goal of Four Philosophers is the perfection of your own arguments.
Total: 16 credits each quarter.
Enrollment: 25
Schedule: Class Schedule
Program is preparatory for: careers and future studies in philosophy, literature, history, law and any field requiring competence in using words.
http://www.evergreen.edu/catalog/2006-07/f.htm#25

This could prove very interesting.

Peace. 

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
FHL

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 07:01:45 AM »

Technically, illegal drugs aren't allowed anywhere on campus, but you are less likely to get flak for telling on your room-mates in substance-free housing.

Peace.

I figured that's what you were getting at after I read down the thread a bit. The way that it was stated though, it just seemed humorous to me when I first read it, thinking that substance-free housing applied to illicit drugs. I didn't mean any harm by it.

However, I must say that if you're worried about getting flak for telling, I live in a conservative Baptist University's on-campus housing, and I must warn you that people will still give you flak for telling. If your roomate is doing anything illegal though, it would be best to get yourself out of that situation by whichever means you can. There's no sense in being guilty by association due to fear of "flak".

"Let us love one another first, then in an atmosphere of love we can discuss theological matters." - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 07:14:26 AM »

However, I must say that if you're worried about getting flak for telling, I live in a conservative Baptist University's on-campus housing, and I must warn you that people will still give you flak for telling. If your roomate is doing anything illegal though, it would be best to get yourself out of that situation by whichever means you can. There's no sense in being guilty by association due to fear of "flak".

I don't mind being an informer so that I can sleep and study in peace. Anyone who smokes, drinks, or uses drugs in substance-free housing shall be dealt with.  Cool

Substance Free

The illegal use of alcohol and/or drugs is prohibited in the state of Washington and Evergreen Housing. The purpose of Substance Free Housing is to foster a living environment in which abstinence from alcohol and drugs will be respected and residents can be assured that substance use and/or abuse will not be a factor in their residential lives. All residents of Substance Free Housing agree to the following:
The possession and consumption of alcohol and/or illicit drugs is prohibited in Substance Free Housing regardless of a person's age.

Residents or guests may not be under the influence of alcohol or any illicit drugs while present in Substance Free Housing.

Housing expects that residents living in Substance Free Housing will confront any Substance violations in their living space, hallways and entryways. If this confrontation is unsuccessful, contact your Resident Assistant or Police services.

Residents who use alcohol and/or illicit drugs in restricted areas will receive a warning and/or be referred to arbitration to be held accountable to the community Substance Free standards. If residents are unable or unwilling to resolve their dispute, it may result in their removal from the Substance Free community.

It is the responsibility of hosts to ensure that their guests understand and follow the policies and intent of the Substance Free community.

Living in Substance Free Housing is voluntary. If you do not intend to keep drugs and alcohol out of your life, do not sign up for Substance Free Housing.
http://www.evergreen.edu/housing/options/apartment.htm

Consumption or possession of alcohol by students in public areas of the College property is prohibited. Selling alcohol or soliciting donations for alcohol is also prohibited. Alcohol is totally prohibited in Substance Free and Freshman Housing for residents or guests. Residents and guests of legal age may consume alcohol in other private apartment/units.
Illegal use, possession, manufacture, sale or distribution of any illegal drug is prohibited. College policy is consistent with State and Federal laws regarding all controlled substances.
http://www.evergreen.edu/housing/policies

Peace.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:17:24 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 02:53:22 PM »

I don't mind being an informer so that I can sleep and study in peace. Anyone who smokes, drinks, or uses drugs in substance-free housing shall be dealt with.  Cool

(bolded text mine)

Thanks for the warning, narc boy...

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 03:09:13 PM »

Thanks for the warning, narc boy...

Since when is it a bad thing to be a narc?  We love 'em at my office. Wink

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 02:59:00 AM »

Before even starting Winter Quarter, I'm required to read The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James, Self Reliance and The American Scholar by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and On the Genealogy of Morality by Friedrich Nietzsche. This is serious stuff...

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 03:46:42 AM »

Before even starting Winter Quarter, I'm required to read The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James, Self Reliance and The American Scholar by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and On the Genealogy of Morality by Friedrich Nietzsche. This is serious stuff...

And dangerous stuff, too. I pray you tread carefully!
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 04:00:15 AM »

When the church fathers approached secular philosophy, they were careful to take in the good and leave behind the bad. If there were no merit to secular philosophy at all, the School of Alexandria wouldn't have been so important in the history of Christian theology.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 04:09:12 AM »

When the church fathers approached secular philosophy, they were careful to take in the good and leave behind the bad. If there were no merit to secular philosophy at all, the School of Alexandria wouldn't have been so important in the history of Christian theology.

I didn't say not tread at all. Tread carefully. Pagan Greek philosophy was pre-Christian. However, the philosophies of Nietzsche, James, and Emerson all were, to some extent, reactions against historic Christianity. There is not much to be mined from them that is edifying to orthodox Christians. Their philosophies were the poisons that Chesterton said they were a century ago, when they were en vogue among the intellectual elite. Unfortunately, they have now been democratized, to disastrous effect.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:11:18 AM by lubeltri » Logged
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 04:14:29 AM »

I believe that Nietzsche was at least correct in observing that Christianity has been used and abused to benefit the powerful at the expense of the poor and oppressed. Furthermore, James' and Emerson's emphasis on personal experience in religious life is something that Orthodox Christians could relate to.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 02:15:15 AM »

November 14, 2006

OLYMPIA, Wash. - A national study released yesterday says The Evergreen State College is one of the nation’s most academically challenging - and a top college for the level of active and collaborative learning for students.

The study, founded by the Pew Charitable Trusts, says Evergreen students develop top abilities in analyzing theories and ideas and spend more time preparing for classes and reading textbooks.

Evergreen students also spend more time making class presentations and working with other students on projects than most of the nation’s college students. Evergreen freshman and seniors cite the remarkable quality of interaction with faculty members and other students and the campus physical environment as keys to success.

“This national study again confirms what we have known for some time. Evergreen’s students receive an extraordinary education that prepares them to engage with real-world issues in a changing world,” said Thomas L. Purce, Evergreen’s president

Unlike many other college ranking systems, the study focuses on putting more emphasis into successful student learning and high quality research. In September, a federal Higher Education Commission directed that colleges and universities should be measured by meaningful student learning outcomes.
http://www.evergreen.edu/news/releases/nov06/nationalstudy.htm

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: