OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:05:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Nicholas traditions  (Read 989 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« on: December 06, 2006, 01:00:30 PM »

Does St. Nicholas bring good kids anything on his feast-day eve, in the country you live in, or you come from?
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 02:56:50 PM »

Our toddler just had her first today--we did the standard shoes outside the door with chocolate coins, plus a few other gifts.  She really got into it.  We're learning carols that go with the feastday, too, but mercifully we have another year or so to really get them down.

Can't really answer the actual question, since America is the country I come from and in which I live (plus I didn't grow up celebrating the feast), so I just thought I'd share that.  Pics will be up on my blog (linked below), probably this evening.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 03:02:55 PM by DavidBryan » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:19:51 AM »

Does St. Nicholas bring good kids anything on his feast-day eve, in the country you live in, or you come from?

In England nobody (except immigrants) does this - they've fallen for the American conflation of St. Nicholas with Father Christmas and I'd guess that the puritans did away with any celebration of St. Nicholas' day that might have existed before them. Of course, as I grew up following German traditions (where this is indeed done) and my wife is from Romania, our children do get a visit. I'm still trying to figure out how we'll explain this when my children are old enough to wonder why he only comes to us. I'd say he only comes to Orthodox families but that seems rather sectarian somehow.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: