Author Topic: Jacob of Serug  (Read 1121 times)

Offline EkhristosAnesti

• 'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
  • Archon
  • Pope St Kyrillos VI
Jacob of Serug
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:13:53 AM »
Fr. Michel Najim of the Antiochian Orthodox Church placed St. Jacob of Serug in the same category as St. Isaac of Nineveh from the Chalcedonian perspective, on account of his composing "works of such spiritual depth so as to transcend confessional boundaries."

I am curious to know if any other EO authorities have an opinion on St. Jacob.
No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
Re: Jacob of Serug
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:19:36 AM »
I believe Florovsky liked Jacob of Serug. Of course, a lot of academics (including EO ones) who work in Syriac sources love him (e.g.
Susan Ashbrook Harvey). And SVS published a translation of Jacob of Serug's homilies on the Theotokos in its Popular Patristics Series.
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)

Offline EkhristosAnesti

• 'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
  • Archon
  • Pope St Kyrillos VI
Re: Jacob of Serug
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 06:25:20 AM »
Thanks. So he's well regarded, but not a canonised Saint (as St. Isaac)?

I've got the biggest headache right now trying to play the "whose Saint, is that Saint, if a Saint", game with the Syriac Fathers. I fear it will only get worse by the time I delve into the Palestian Ascetics of the fifth-sixth centuries.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 06:25:59 AM by EkhristosAnesti »
No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus