OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:38:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lord's Prayer in Arabic  (Read 14099 times) Average Rating: 0
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« on: December 05, 2006, 01:33:51 PM »

Can someone transliterate this into English for me?  I found a phonetical transliteration on the Melkite Catholic website, but the translation is a bit different from what is used in my Antiochian parish as far as I can tell. 

I've got this much so far:

"Ab'nladhee, fee samawat, liyataq'das ismok.  Liyati malakatuk, litakon mahshee atok, kama fee sama kadhaleeka al la'ard...."

I hope someone can help this poor 2nd-generation Arab out who hardly knows his own language.

In Christ,

Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:57:31 PM »

I have transliterated into English the Doxology for the prayer (For yours is the Kingdom, etc), but not the full prayer itself:

Li-an-na laka>l-mul-ka, wal-qoo-wa-ta, wal-maj-da, ai-yu-ha>l aabu wa-lib-nu  war-ru-khul qoodus: al-aana wa-kul-la awaa-nen wa-ilaa dah-ri>d daa-hi-reen

Unfortunately I can't get all the letters for the pronunciation guide in there, but the following is my attempts to indicate:

>: is the glottal used in quickly migrating from a vowel to a consonant
aa: ah
kh: this is supposed to be the letter 'qaf', not 'kaf'

Hope this helps! I also would like to see the transliteration into English as well!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 07:32:27 PM »

Can someone transliterate this into English for me?  I found a phonetical transliteration on the Melkite Catholic website, but the translation is a bit different from what is used in my Antiochian parish as far as I can tell. 
There are minor differences in the "Our Father" between what the Catholics and the Orthodox use in the Arabic language.

Joseph
SakranMM
Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 08:54:33 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I hope there's someone out there who's got it. 

Thanatos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 10:17:35 PM »

I asked my Coptic friend in Egypt:

abana allazy fe al samawat
le yatakaddas esmok
le yaaty malakotak
le takon masheaatak , kama fe al samaa kazalek aala el ard
khobzana kafafana aatena al yaoum
wa eghfor lana zenobana , kama naghfor nahno aydan lel mozneben elayna
wa la todkhelna fe tagroba , wa laken naggena min al sherer
be el Maseeh Yasoua Rabena , leaan laka al molk wa al kowa wa al magd ela al abad amin

Peace,
Ioannis
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:25:52 PM by Thanatos » Logged
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 10:35:35 PM »

be el Maseeh Yasoua Rabena , leaan laka al molk wa al kowa wa al magd ela al abad amin

This last bit is an addition to the Lord's prayer which translates: "Through Jesus Christ our Lord, for Thine is the Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory, Forever and Ever. Amen"

I just thought I'd point that out in case EO's don't have this conclusion attached to their version of the Lord's prayer.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
SakranMM
Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 10:22:29 PM »

That sounds much closer to Antiochian practice than that of the Melkites; I know its difficult to transliterate it into English and capture the same accents on a message board, but saying out loud I can hear and pick up enough of what I'm used to hearing.  Thanks so much.

In Christ,

Michael

SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 04:36:38 AM »

Consider this the definitive version (versions in fact; I'll provide both the Orthodox and the Melchite forms of the prayer), but first a detailed pronunciation guide from myself:

'Kh' is the Greek Χ, or more accurately, the broader, rougher Scottish 'ch' (Loch Ness)
'Gh' is the French 'r', somewhat similar to the Greek Γ
'Q' is a rolled version of 'k', that originates from deep down in the throat, a voiced velar that is perhaps the most difficult of Arabic consonants for the foreigner to pronounce.

Short/long vowel pairs:
A/AA [Fat(h)ah/Alif] Greek Α (The short consonant may sometimes sound like the 'u' in 'cub', as in Rab, meaning Lord.)
U/OO [(D)am'ma/Waaw] Greek ΟΥ (the 'oo' in 'moon')
I/EE [Kasra/Yaa'] Greek Η (the 'ee' in 'seen')

N.B. Some vowels at the end of words, written as long vowels in script, will still be pronounced short.  These are written as short vowels in the transliteration.

Parenthesised letters are rolled.  They become velars.

The paranthesised (h), however, is a consonant that sounds like an exhaled breath.  Velar, voiceless, and aspirated.

'Th' is that in 'though', '(th)' (in parenthesis) is its rolled equivalent, and 'th' (underlined), is that of 'thorn', meaning the Greek letter Θ.

The hyphen indicates the joining of the article 'the' with a word.  It has the same effect on pronunciation as the apostrophe, described later onward.

`, as opposed to a regular apostrophe ', is the consonant `ayn (or `ein, as some prefer to write it).  I still do not know how to describe it adequately, except that it is, I believe, a glottal fricative.

The apostrophe indicates a normal glottal start/stop, except when it exists between two identical consonants, in which case it indicates that the word should be pronounced as two different words (with no significant pause in between and with the last letter of the first 'word' held until the next letter is pronounced). So rad'did is pronounced rad did (without pause or letting go of the first 'd') and not radid.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:30:54 AM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 05:02:50 AM »

Where the two prayers diverge from one another, the bold text is the Orthodox version:

Important note:  Levantine Christians (namely Syrians and Lebanese) sometimes tend to retain idiosyncrasies of their vernacular dialects when pronouncing the classical Fu(s)(h)ah Arabic, namely pronouncing the 'th' (that of 'though') as a 'z', and the 'th' of 'thorn' as an 's'.  Therefore, you will hear the people in church say -- from the first line of the prayer -- al-lazi, instead of al-lathi.  This is just plain wrong, and more especially so when the same is applied to what is chanted in Greek ('Agios Asanatos', 'O Seos Imon': *shudder*), and so I will retain the classical letter 'th' and 'th' in the transliterations.  (A tip of the hat to the Jordanians for doing things properly.)

Also, in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines, the final 'a' of the last word of each is sometimes omitted.  I keep these here.

Abaanal-lathi fis-samawaat,
Liyataqad'das ismuka
Liya'ti malakootuka
Litakun mashee'atuka
Kama fis-samaa'i kathaalika `alal-ard
A`(t)ina khubzana kafaafa yowmina / Khubzanal-jowhari a`(t)inal-yawm
Waghfir lana (sometimes omitted: thunoobana wa) kha(t)ayaana / Watruk lana maa `alayna
Kama naghfiru na(h)nu liman (sometimes omitted: akh(t)a'a wa) asaa'a ilayna / kama natruku na(h)nu liman lana `alayh
Walaa tudkhilna fit-tajaarib / Walaa tudkhilna fi tajriba
Laakin naj'jina minash-shar'reer

Li'an'na lakal-mulka wal-qudrata wal-majd, ay'yuhal Aabu wal-Ibnu war-Roo(h)ul-Qudus al'aana wa kul'la awaanin wa ila dahrid-daahireen.  Aameen.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:51:18 AM by SamB » Logged
SakranMM
Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 01:10:27 PM »

Thanks, Samer

In Christ,

SakrAAn (the drunk one)

Tags: