OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 08:24:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Augustine and Anselm  (Read 1205 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: December 04, 2006, 08:57:29 PM »

If St. Augustine was to read the works of Anselm, what would be his reaction?  Was everything that Anselm wrote agreeable with St. Augustine?

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 07:05:16 PM »

bump...just hoping some people wouldn't forget

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »

If St. Augustine was to read the works of Anselm, what would be his reaction?

"My these are short!"

Was everything that Anselm wrote agreeable with St. Augustine?

Agreeable? I don't know. The same? Absolutely not. Here are just a few things I imagine that Augustine would either be surprised by or dislike:

1) The relative lack of scriptural references and biblical allusions in Monologion. (If Jerome's translation of the much-disputed-divinely-caused plant in Jonah 4:6 as hederam was enough to make Augustine lambaste him as a heretic (and for Augustine's congregation to riot), then I imagine Augustine would be more than a little peeved at Anselm's Lanfrancian tendencies).

2) The Anslemian emphasis on preservation of honor, which he (Anselm) took for granted because of the nature of contemporary feudal society (i.e. mankind’s relationship to God is like the relationship between a vassal and his manorial lord).

3) In Cur Deus Homo, Anselm discusses Augustine's explanation of the Incarnation (the so-called devil's rights theory) and finds it substantially wanting.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 11:52:33 PM »

Finally, someone writes back  Grin

Number 2 is an interesting one.  I was more interested in the issue around salvation and Original Sin.  The "Honor" thing can be one thing.  Would have St. Augustine agreed with Anselm that when man sins, it's an infinite sin against God?  Would St. Augustine even consider that Original Sin or Guilt itself was "infinite?"

Are are anything in his writings indicative of actually condemning the "Honor" issue and "Infinite Sin?"

Thank you.

God bless.

Mina

Tags: St. Augustine Anselm 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: