OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News from Mt. Athos  (Read 1424 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: December 04, 2006, 07:05:39 PM »

I found this article on the net dated today, December 3, 2006.  Though many of us are familiar with the situation on Athos regarding monks who are not in favor of Vartholomaios' overtures to the West and have been punished for it by being blockaded within their monastery, what is contained in the news article is a very recent development.  This is indeed tragic.

http://www.studiomatrix.com/news/article00178.shtml

Lord, have mercy (x40)!

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:12:01 PM »

This same article was posted earlier and caused a debate that forced me to move the thread to Politics:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9925.0.html

I'll do it again in a heartbeat if the same debate re-occurs.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 07:19:50 PM »

This same article was posted earlier and caused a debate that forced me to move the thread to Politics:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9925.0.html

I'll do it again in a heartbeat if the same debate re-occurs.

Bless, Father!

Sorry, didn't know that!  I wasn't trying to be provacative.  Thanks for the correction!

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 07:23:15 PM »

Don't worry about it---you're not a known troublemaker (at least not yet...)  Wink

My statement was directed more towards others, in case they decided to continue their debate!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:26:04 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:41:17 PM »

I like the monks of Athos and I think they are used by God to prevent the unholy union of churches that is based on false ecumenism. I hope they remain influential in your part of the world and continue their strong opposition to this reunion.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 07:23:13 PM »

If the Pope finally joins us, rejects the filioque and his infallibility, then there is nothing unholy about it.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 08:12:27 PM »

If the Pope finally joins us, rejects the filioque and his infallibility, then there is nothing unholy about it.

And the fathers of Esphigmenou would not complain in the least if that were the case.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 10:48:13 PM »

I for one am shocked Shocked that the Greek government is agreeing to such a cruel blockade!!  There must be other hierarchs that are in dissagreement with the EP on this subject.  If I may ask, what is it exactly that the EP is doing that is not following the teachings of the Eastern Orthodox faith??

please enlighten me,  Juliana
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 11:15:26 PM »

Would you mind doing some searches for posts that already covered this? When this issue comes up it causes some controversy and since it's already been covered in depth maybe we can avoid another round. The recent thread on the Pope visiting Constantinople has some videos I posted that provided evidence for my point of view on the issue (my bishop does not commemorate Pat Bartholemew), and I think GreekisChristian of all people has a good pro-EP point of view. Obviously I think I am right and he is wrong, but you know, that's for you to decide Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 11:23:11 PM »

Thank you Anastasios,
 I went back and reviewed an earlier thread to aquaint myself with said subject.  I certainly don't want to cause any friction here and your advice is duly noted.  Much obliged,   Juliana Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: