OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:55:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OOCA youth conference 2006  (Read 2160 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: December 04, 2006, 06:08:30 PM »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8127393991153819912&q=ooca

I think this is really beautiful.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 01:08:00 AM »

It looks like they make the sign of the cross in the same way that Latin Catholics do.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:17:16 AM »

It looks like they make the sign of the cross in the same way that Latin Catholics do.

Oh yes, we do.   Smiley  I've always been interested in the history behind the slight differences in the sign of the cross.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »

Oh yes, we do.   Smiley  I've always been interested in the history behind the slight differences in the sign of the cross.

God bless.

Mina
Can you share some of that history?
Many Blessings in Christ

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 11:11:08 PM »

Well, I don't know much.  Perhaps it was a way of trying to be different from the "other" more unliked group.  But that's just a hypothesis, and there is no proof whatsoever.  The reason I came up with the opinion was if you notice the pattern:

Latins and Europeans--left to right
Greeks and Russians--right to left
non-Chalcedonians--left to right
Nestorians--right to left

Get my drift?  Wink

The only thing someone came up with history is that there was a "sign of the cross."  However, the directions were never written down.

God bless.

Mina
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:11:34 PM by minasoliman » Logged

FHL

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:20:35 AM »

I'm not sure if I'm correct on this and it might not add much, but I think I read a post earlier here that stated we cross from the left to the right to symbolize going from the "left" (sinful) side of Christ to the "right", in relation to a passage where Christ states He will tell the people on His left to get away from Him.

The EO had a symbolic reason for theirs as well, I don't remember what it was though.

"Let us love one another first, then in an atmosphere of love we can discuss theological matters." - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 11:58:52 AM »

The EO had a symbolic reason for theirs as well, I don't remember what it was though.

Its more or less the same thing. Going from right to left symbolises the sanctification of that which was previously profane (or something along those lines); so taking grace from the right and spreading it over to the left Wink

I read somewhere that the Catholics also did the sign of the Cross from right to left until the 13th century or something, so did they get it from the OO, or is the OO usage a Medieval Catholic invention?
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 09:20:31 PM »

I read somewhere that the Catholics also did the sign of the Cross from right to left until the 13th century or something, so did they get it from the OO, or is the OO usage a Medieval Catholic invention?

Anba Mikhail of Damietta, a Metropolitan Bishop of the twelfth century, speaks of the Coptic Church's practice of making the sign of the cross with one finger from left to right as being of Apostolic origin.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 11:52:29 AM »

Anba Mikhail of Damietta, a Metropolitan Bishop of the twelfth century, speaks of the Coptic Church's practice of making the sign of the cross with one finger from left to right as being of Apostolic origin.
So we Latins don't do it wrong after all? LOL. Wink

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 01:22:30 PM »

So I've heard. Do you know whether he mentions the way in which the sign of the Cross was used - i.e. crossing oneself or making the sign over others? Among EO (not sure about Assyrians), for example, people will always go from right to left when crossing themselves, but from left to right when making the sign over something/someone else.

My questions stems from the fact that both the Chalcedonian Orthodox and the Assyrians make the sign of the Cross the same way, yet I do not believe either church has had much influence on the other. Therefore, if it is the case that also the Latin church made the sign of the Cross in this way until the Middle Ages (I'll have to look into that further), it would seem that this practice has ancient roots.

Not that the OO practice couldn't also be Apostolic; I see no need for homogeneity. Its just interesting to look at the sources of such practices.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 01:59:23 PM »

Most of the earliest references to making the sign of the cross (Tertullian, St. Hippolytus, St. John Chrysostom, St. Jerome) reveal that Christians used to make a tiny cross on their forehead alone, usually with their thumb. Eventually, Christians began to make little crosses on other parts of their body. For example, I believe Sts. Jerome and Ambrose also say that one can/should bless their mouth with the sign of the cross.

Later on, it became customary to make a larger sign over the whole body (forehead to sternum to shoulders), but -- at least as far as I can tell -- it's hard to say definitively which shoulder came first and what sort of shape one was supposed to make with their fingers (two for Christ's two natures; three for the Holy Trinity; or one for the Oneness of God).

On the hand, it's often reported that Pope Innocent III (very early 1200s) taught that all Roman Catholics should make the sign of the cross exactly as the Eastern Orthodox do today. While he condemns those who cross themselves from left to right (as Catholics now do), his very condemnation reveals that many Westerners were doing otherwise.

On the other hand, even as late as the 17th century (until Patriarch Nikon's reforms), the Russian Orthodox always crossed themselves with two fingers (for the two natures), not three.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:10:25 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 02:24:32 PM »

Before Anba Mikhail, St. Severus of Al'Ashmunein also spoke of the custom of making the sign of the Cross with one finger from left to right. One of the many reasons given for the use of one finger is its symbolic reference to the One Nature of God the Logos Incarnate. St. Bar Salibi (tenth century Syrian Orthodox Father) appeals to St. John Chrysostom in his argument in favour of the use of one-finger for making the sign of the cross in his work Against the Melkites. This procedure for signing the Cross is also prescribed in Coptic canon law recorded by the early 13th century group of Coptic scholars known as Al-Awlad Al-Assal, as well as the 13th century Syrian Orthodox canonist St. Gregory Bar Hebraeus.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:25:37 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 02:49:49 PM »

St. Bar Salibi quotes St. John Chrysostom as saying: "...you should not make the sign of the cross with the finger in a simple way, but you should first make it with will and with great faith..." and then remarks saying: "See how the Doctor speaks of one finger only and not of two or three".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:50:11 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 03:21:19 PM »

EA,

Sure. But (a) the earliest signings (one-finger or otherwise) were only on the forehead (cf. Tertullian, Hippolytus, even St. Cyril of Jerusalem); and (b) there are early examples of multiple fingers. I don't think we can make much hay out of the antiquity of this or that current practice, given the ancient diversity and the obvious fact that no one does it only on the forehead any more.

Here are two standard quotes (taken from the Catholic Encyclopedia online):

"In all our travels and movements", says Tertullian (De cor. Mil., iii), "in all our coming in and going out, in putting of our shoes, at the bath, at the table, in lighting our candles, in lying down, in sitting down, whatever employment occupieth us, we mark our foreheads with the sign of the cross."

St. Cyril of Jerusalem in his "Catecheses" (xiii, 36) remarks: "let us then not be ashamed to confess the Crucified. Be the cross our seal, made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in every thing; over the bread we eat and the cups we drink, in our comings and in goings; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are travelling, and when we are at rest".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 03:22:07 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 10:01:05 PM »

Is there an article I can read or a whole big list of quotes from Church Fathers?

God bless.

Mina

surajiype

Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 03:30:14 AM »

Mina ,

I dont think it's that simple, from what I have heard the Assyrians in kerala India, make the sign of the cross as the OO and the Catholics do.

So that means within the Assyrian church itself, there are 2 ways of crossing oneself.

I hope somebody can confirm this.
Tags: sign of the Cross 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: