OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 01:59:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Request, urgent  (Read 2002 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« on: April 22, 2003, 08:35:08 PM »

A neighbor of mine has gotten what could be a threat of violence from a family member.  She is fearful, understandable.  The police were there a couple of nights ago.  Please, I ask for prayers that she and the children will be safe and that things are taken care of.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 08:37:46 PM »

Will do.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 08:39:38 PM »

Thank you very much, Sinjin.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 08:40:05 PM »

Prayers...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 09:39:47 PM »

I will pray also.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 09:59:32 PM »

I appreciate it very much.  There was some tension about an hour ago, and the boys came here and the police are coming to visit.  I told the mother that I had asked for pray online and she was very touched.  We're all hoping for a quiet night.

Ebor

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 11:21:17 PM »

Ebor,

You have my prayers as well.  Keep us updated.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 11:46:49 PM »

Thank you David and Linus and Mor.  I will keep you updated. There are 2 boys, 9 and 12 with an older brother away at college.  The younger ones play with my children all the time. They are confused and upset and unsure, poor guys.

We're all hoping for peace tonight.

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 10:29:35 AM »

My neighbor is going to get a Peace Order today.  Things are still tense, but holding together.  

One thing I really appreciate is that you all were concerned and prayed and no one asked (as I have seen on other EO newsgroups/lists) if my neighbor was Orthodox. You cared about a woman in need.  Thank you all

Ebor

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 11:00:09 AM »

One thing I really appreciate is that you all were concerned and prayed and no one asked (as I have seen on other EO newsgroups/lists) if my neighbor was Orthodox. You cared about a woman in need.  Thank you all

Ebor

Dear Ebor,

We continue to pray for your friends, please be assured of that.  

As for people in other places asking about whether the person in question was Orthodox, while I cannot speak for them (and certainly it can come across wrong), my first instinct was to think that they probably asked so that they could see if they could have them commemorated at Liturgy.  If I'm not mistaken, while anyone can certainly be prayed for, only Orthodox can be commemorated in the Eucharistic Liturgy and prayed for in that very specific way.  My guess is that they probably had this in mind (I would hate for my guess to be wrong, and the right guess to be something of a "we only care about Orthodox" nature; such would be atrocious).

God bless!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 11:01:45 AM »

:reading:   <--a prayer book Wink

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 01:16:59 PM »

Ebor

Dear Ebor,

We continue to pray for your friends, please be assured of that.  

As for people in other places asking about whether the person in question was Orthodox, while I cannot speak for them (and certainly it can come across wrong), my first instinct was to think that they probably asked so that they could see if they could have them commemorated at Liturgy.  If I'm not mistaken, while anyone can certainly be prayed for, only Orthodox can be commemorated in the Eucharistic Liturgy and prayed for in that very specific way.  My guess is that they probably had this in mind (I would hate for my guess to be wrong, and the right guess to be something of a "we only care about Orthodox" nature; such would be atrocious).

God bless!        

There were a couple that made no mention of the liturgy but seemed to say that prayers were only for other Orthodox. This was some time ago and other people/ places have not been that way.  It made me cringe at the time and made me leary of asking, but it was an emergency.

I thank you very much for your charity.

Ebor

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 01:26:18 PM »

I think, at least by older customs, certain prayers were reserved for Orthodox Christians, and certain ones were done for non-Orthodox ones. I would hope that people would never say that we couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't pray for non-Orthodox Christians, though!  Lips Sealed

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: