OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:43:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1432 times) Average Rating: 0
Elizabeth06

« on: November 27, 2006, 10:25:26 PM »

Just wanted to say hello- I'm new. 

Also recently Chrismated- Pascha of this year (with my husband and best friend, too!) I'm from a Protestant background, at an almost entirely convert church in Los Angeles.   Smiley
falafel333
Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »

Hi Elizabeth and welcome...How did you come to convert to Orthodoxy and how are you finding you're new church; any teachings or practises that you are finding particularly difficult?
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

Welcome Elizabeth,   I find that I learn a lot from OC.net and  enjoy sharing with others.  Just be aware that there are a wide variety of people here and most are not authorities on Orthodox doctrine...always refer to your parish priest or spiritual father on important issues. 

blessings,  Juliana Smiley
Elizabeth06

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 10:41:33 PM »

Hello, thanks for the welcome.

My road to Orthodoxy was sort of long.  I began considering Orthodoxy after reading the Philokalia in a classical-style University program I was in (at a Protestant University), and having general misgivings about the Protestant church.  The more I studied, the more I became convinced that I could no longer be Protestant, but my entire family and all my friends were Protestant.  The two people I did know who were Orthodox were professors (again at the Protestant University  Grin) and our dean of students was the priest at our local parish that I eventually started attending. I left SoCal for Oxford for a semester, and after attending Liturgy in Christ Church Cathedral every Sunday for a semester, I knew I could never go back to Protestant services.  I began attending Orthdox liturgy after I returned.  After I graduated, I moved back "home", where there were no Orthodox churches.  I eventually moved back to SoCal (last summer, after 3 years in exile, as I term it) and went back to our Orthodox church and became a catechumen immediately.  So, it took a Protestant University and Michaelmas term at an Anglican cathedral to convert me.   Cheesy

Since I studied Orthdoxy for so long before converting, I don't find any of the teachings very difficult.  Becoming Orthodox has been a sort of revelation- any small issues I did have have evaporated in light of the Truth the church teaches.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:24:38 AM »

Hello, Elizabeth, and welcome to OC.net!

...most are not authorities on Orthodox doctrine...always refer to your parish priest or spiritual father on important issues. 

You can say that again!  Roll Eyes

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:31:10 AM »

Just wanted to say hello- I'm new. 

, at an almost entirely convert church in Los Angeles.   Smiley

That's too bad

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Elizabeth06

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:37:14 AM »

That's too bad

Which part- the convert part or Los Angeles?  Grin  I rather like both...

Some members converted decades ago... I have many wise people (including a wonderful archimandrite priest) I trust who are members.  We also associate closely with many at St. Nicholas (Antiochian) Cathedral- most of whom are not converts.  Smiley
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 12:47:51 AM »

That's too bad

This is uncalled for. You should not do this. You are injecting arguments this woman has no knowledge of into her post which is a "hi I'm new here" post that is obviously totally innocent.

Many of the bad experiences you had with converts some of the converts have had on the other end from cradles. What is needed is for all to be converted in Christ, not to form dividing barriers.

Elizabeth, welcome to our forum!!

Anastasios
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:05:16 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 09:47:53 AM »

Welcome here and welcome home!  I hope you find oc.net as enjoyable and as educational as I have.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 01:03:45 PM »

Can't anybody take a joke?

Elizabeth, I am glad that you are here more importantly that you are Orthodox! You'll find a whole collection of characters here as you will in the Orthodox Church.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 01:32:40 PM »

Can't anybody take a joke?

Elizabeth, I am glad that you are here more importantly that you are Orthodox! You'll find a whole collection of characters here as you will in the Orthodox Church.

Smiley faces are good for establishing jokes online Smiley Sorry I didn't take it as a joke.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:33:03 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 07:53:26 PM »

Welcome, Elizabeth06

Smiley

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: