OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 09:40:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Orthodox Church under OO  (Read 2194 times) Average Rating: 0
ROCORthodox
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« on: November 23, 2006, 03:06:53 PM »

Has anybody had any experiences with the British Orthodox Church under the OO?

www.britishorthodox.org
Macarius

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 03:30:58 PM »

I like this church

We believe that our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Logos, is perfect in His Divinity and perfect in His Humanity. He made His Humanity One with His Divinity without Mixture, nor Mingling, nor Confusion. we Anathematize the Doctrines of both Nestorius and Eutyches
Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 01:46:49 AM »

What rite(s) are used for Mass?

If I remember correctly, they use the Liturgy of Saint James

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
ROCORthodox
Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 07:11:53 PM »

Just speculation but I think the British Orthodox Church would be most welcomed here in the USA by those of Anglo-British heritage who don't feel quite comfortable in Coptic, Russian or Greek parishes.  It is encouraging that the Coptic Church recognizes the need for people to be comfortable amongst their peers. 

I have had no results in contacting via e-mail yet I wonder if it is outside BOC scope to start missions here in the States ? 

If not, would it be possible that the Coptic Orthodox Church consider something similar for westerners here in the States? 

The controversy in my own ROCOR Church is causing me to want to learn more about other jurisdictions as well as Orthodox history in general.   I came across the BOC when studying various jurisdictions (plus I had read some essays of Fr. Romanides which mention the Chalcedonian council and mis-communications).

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 10:43:09 PM »

Dear admins,

Isn't there a way where you can just split the topic so as to keep those controversial issues away from the OO forum?

The OP has nothing to do with what is being discussed right now.

God bless.

Mina

Thanks for the call.  The tangental posts were consolidated into the thread "EO, OO, and the Pope" which is linked below and left in the Private forum.  Now let's keep this thread on topic... Cleveland, GM.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10319.0.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:09:18 AM by cleveland » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 10:26:11 PM »

Just repeating my post:

To answer the OP, the British Orthodox I believe use a Celtic rite liturgy, and they use the ancient Liturgy of St. James under that rite.  I have yet to hear what their liturgy sounds like, but the Pope's unity with the British Orthodox was so that it gives canonicity to the Church, and to help evangelism to the British people.  HH Pope Shenouda mentioned quite clearly, that although the Church is under hospice of the Coptic Church, she is not to be Coptic.  History of the Church entails that it was once united under the Syrian Patriarchate, and then lost touch with him until 1991 when reunited back into the OO fold.  The Celtic Christianity however that the practice, is very ancient, and goes back to the times of Nicean Christianity.  The British Orthodox also venerate St. Patrick as well as many other Celtic saints into their list of saints.

The Coptic Church does similar missions in Fiji and Africa (although the British Orthodox is unique), where they use the cultural settings of the people for their liturgies, and not necessarily something Coptic.  Already, the Eritrean and Ethiopian churches are autocephalous after centuries of upbringing by the Coptic Church.

God bless.

Mina

Now, to answer your question ROCORorthodox, I don't know.  I guess it might be nice to establish some sort of Celtic rite liturgical Church here in America, but I don't know if it's quite effective in any manner.  I've always thought that the best "American" Church out there was the Evengelical Orthodox missions of the Antiochian Church, which are geared towards the Bible belt Southern Protestants.

There's a self-proclaimed "Celtic Orthodox Church" somewhere in America started by someone who accepts the "seven ecumenical councils."  He is uncanonical, and is not united with the EO Church, but according to some BOC people, the priest of that Church is a very serious person and is not in any manner doing this to deceive people.  I wish there might be some dialogue with this person some day.

Here's the website:

http://celticchristianity.org/

God bless.

Mina
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:36:59 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ROCORthodox
Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:45:36 PM »

Here in USA there is also some Western Rite parishes under the Holy Synod of Milan who get their apostolic succession from the Old Calandar Greek Church.   Can anybody comment on the validity of this jurisdiction?

http://www.orthodoxwest.net/directory.html
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 11:57:11 PM »

Here in USA there is also some Western Rite parishes under the Holy Synod of Milan who get their apostolic succession from the Old Calandar Greek Church.   Can anybody comment on the validity of this jurisdiction?

http://www.orthodoxwest.net/directory.html

An EO can better answer this, but I believe that the ONLY canonical "Western Rite" Orthodox Church is also under the Antiochian Greek Orthodox Church.

God bless.

Mina

ROCORthodox
Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 10:27:43 AM »

Just repeating my post:

Now, to answer your question ROCORorthodox, I don't know.  I guess it might be nice to establish some sort of Celtic rite liturgical Church here in America, but I don't know if it's quite effective in any manner.  I've always thought that the best "American" Church out there was the Evengelical Orthodox missions of the Antiochian Church, which are geared towards the Bible belt Southern Protestants.

There's a self-proclaimed "Celtic Orthodox Church" somewhere in America started by someone who accepts the "seven ecumenical councils."  He is uncanonical, and is not united with the EO Church, but according to some BOC people, the priest of that Church is a very serious person and is not in any manner doing this to deceive people.  I wish there might be some dialogue with this person some day.

Here's the website:

http://celticchristianity.org/

God bless.

Mina

Thanks for that link.  I started another thread based on a statement concerning apostolic succession  here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10359.new.html#new

This Church claims they do have apostolic succession so I have edited together their supporting statements on that thread for discussion. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:28:22 AM by ROCORthodox » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 10:09:20 AM »

I guess it might be nice to establish some sort of Celtic rite liturgical Church here in America, but I don't know if it's quite effective in any manner. 

I would also question how effective such a thing would be.

Considering the diverse ethnic makeup of the first European settlers in America, not to mention that of later immigrants, I don't think its possible to establish any particular rite as that of the American people; be it Celtic, Gaelic, Latin or otherwise. This is why I'm also a tad uncomfortable with the Antiochian Western rite in the US.

I think one must allow an American rite develop gradually, as it takes root and spreads among the people. But to impose such a thing on it in its infancy seems unworkable and unnecessary.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 04:48:01 PM »

I think one must allow an American rite develop gradually, as it takes root and spreads among the people. But to impose such a thing on it in its infancy seems unworkable and unnecessary.

Indeed, I've always thought that the first step in making "American Orthodoxy" was to stop using our cultural languages that we used back at home and make it all English.  The Church will evolve into something desirable for an "American rite" liturgy as time goes on and we integrate.

God bless.

Mina

Tags: British Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: