OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:12:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chanting Morning and Evening Prayer  (Read 1191 times) Average Rating: 0
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« on: November 20, 2006, 10:42:52 PM »

Here's a question to those in the know  Tongue

I often use the Jordanville Prayerbook, but have longed to add some chant to it, besides plain-chant and those hymns that I have learned from Liturgy (or rather excluding that for the time being).  Is anyone aware of notation that can be added to one's prayer rule.  I really do not care on the style (whether it be Byzantine, Slavic, etc.) as I have simply longed to have my prayer rule be a tad bit more . . . .musical Smiley.  Thanks in advance
Daniel

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 11:52:35 PM »

I use the HTM prayerbook, and after my morning prayers, I chant the Troparion and Theotokion of the day, as well as the troparion for any feast or saint we may be commemorating.  I use the Byzantine tones, but don't really make use of sheet music during private prayers.  If you do a Yahoo search on "Byzantine Chant", you're sure to come up with a variety of excellent sites that have music in both byzantine and western notation.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 12:39:01 AM »

Here's a website I found awhile ago with some good stuff there:

http://chant.theologian.org/index_pdf.html

happy chanting!

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »

Thanks guys!  Grin

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: