OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:56:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good people Bad people Lightly Seriously  (Read 1854 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: April 21, 2003, 06:29:32 PM »

A quote from some talk radio show:

"Good people know how to take serious things lightly. Bad people take little things too seriously."

Would you say this is a fair "one sentence" summary of human nature?  I certainly think it points at something and I thought the comment--which the author says was off the top of his head--was very profound.  Of course it doesn't apply to all people but it might hold as some sort of "usually so" statement.

Sincerely,

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 06:44:52 PM »

Umm.. I guess it depends on what you mean by "seriously". Smiley

A "bad person" would take things "too seriously" because he would be letting his passions get the best of him, and would be overreacting. On the other hand, a good person can take even little things seriously, if by that we mean that the good person recognizes that even little things can be important and even vital. "Bad people" will often take the most serious of things (life, God, etc.) lightly, while the good man will take them seriously. Yet when things go seriously wrong, the good man is usually better able to handle the situation and not overreact, while the bad person usually loses control and flips out.

I guess I would agree with the statement, but only because the "bad people" are controlled by their passions and the good men are not (or, at least, they are able to better control their passions by the grace of God). So whether little or serious, the bad man misunderstands how he ought to respond, while the good one understands.

I guess I would agree with the person who you quoted, though I imagine we would come to the same conclusion through a very different thought process. Also, I guess I would agree with your last statement, it's a good general observation to go by, but has some very important exceptions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2003, 06:51:53 PM by Paradosis » Logged
MartinIntlStud

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 08:06:37 PM »

I dont think any one sentence description of anything can ever be right. It really all depends on what you mean by "little things" and "serious things", which of course is different for different people
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 08:26:45 PM »

Bad people take bad people seriously.

Good people take each other to dinner.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 09:37:30 AM »

Life, so far, has revealed to me that there are alot more bad people than there are good people   :'(

Lord, help me be more good. Have mercy on me!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: