OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 07:58:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waiting for Seminary  (Read 1160 times) Average Rating: 0
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« on: November 16, 2006, 06:52:40 PM »

Yesterday was tough for me.  I was planning on graduating from college in May, getting married, then leaving for seminary in the fall.  I found out yesterday that I will still need to take 3 more courses before I can graduate, which pushes my graduation day to August, or possibly even December if I can't manage the summer courses.  On top of that, I received word that same day that my bishop wants me to wait a year after getting married to apply for seminary (I guess in order to be more established in my marriage).  I really had my heart set on leaving for seminary in the fall with my new wife, but I know the bishop knows best.  Still, it's pretty hard to take right now.  I have no clue what to do in the next year about school and finding a job.  I'm pretty lost right now, so I could sure use some prayers.  Please pray that the Lord may uplift me and give me peace in this situation, and that if His will is to have me wait a year or more before going to seminary, that He would grant me strength to do so and the resources necessary to find work and support my wife, and find peace in it all.  Thanks, everyone, in advance.

In Christ,

Rdr. Michael
Houston, TX

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 07:16:15 PM »

Of course you have my prayers!

In exchange, please let me share something with you:

I was all set to go to Holy Cross in the Fall of 2002. However, the money just didn't come together, and I had to delay my entry to the seminary for at least a year in August. It was a very low point of my life, and I honestly thought of myslef as a failure. It was embarassing to have to explain to people back at church why I wasn't where they knew I should have been, and troubling to my hierarch at the time as well.

In September 2002, however, my Dad found out he had cancer. On Christmas Eve of that year he found out his cancer was terminal, and he reposed in March 2003.

Those last few months he and I had we shared as much as we could. We dealt with some unfinished business between us, and I'd never trade that time for anything. Ever.

As it turned out, I was able to attend Holy Cross in Fall 2003. If I had gone the year earlier, I never would have had that time with Dad, and what's more my first year at seminary would have been disastrous as I never would have been able to keep my mind on my studies...my mind and heart would have been back in Ohio, not school.

The entire point of this lengthy story is to let you know that there is a purpose behind this delay. It may seem arbitrary and unfair right now, but the Lord has a reason for you to be in the place you are now...perhaps you are to teach someone where you will be, or perhaps there's yet a lesson for you to learn before you get there.

God knows these things; you don't. Trust in Him. Everything will be alright in the fullness of time, paidi mou!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
SakranMM
Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 07:31:42 PM »

Thanks, Chris.  That really helps.

In Christ,

Michael

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 08:29:40 PM »

I went to SVS about 2 months after I got married. Hard on my marriage.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 11:08:19 PM »

As someone who went to seminary, and was not very good at it, I can say with certainty that there is much wisdom in what your bishop says, he clearly speaks from experience. Seminary can be a rewarding experience, but it will certainly be a difficult one, you certainly dont want to spend your first three years of marriage under that situation.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 01:21:49 AM »

Lord, have mercy.
SakranMM
Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:04:05 AM »

Thank you everyone.  I'm already beginning to feel the peace of Christ in this situation, thanks to your prayers.  Please continue to pray for me.

Your Brother in Christ,

Rdr. Michael

Tags: Seminary 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: