OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:20:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How is the date of Pascha calculated?  (Read 1698 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: November 15, 2006, 11:23:26 PM »

I asked a couple of people who are Coptic Orthodox and they didn't have an answer for me on the date of Pascha. 

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with this.  Thanks a lot! 

Any information would be helpful.

(Just in case there is any misunderstanding...i'm looking for how the Oriental churches calculate Pascha)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:28:25 AM »

How does the Coptic calendar work with Christian one too?

My dad is in communion with the Malankara Diocese and during Eastern Holy Week I had to keep reminding him that their are others churches that are still yet to celebrate Pascha. He didn't understand the concept of Resurrection after Passover. As Easter in South India is celebrated within the Western Calender with the far-less fanfare that most jurisdictions would find as important. It is unlikely that they will ever change the calendar as it is more complicated to reorganize the work days after Easter or other Feast Days that other non-Christians in Kerala, India tolerate.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 11:30:07 AM »

So the Indian (Oriental Orthodox) churches celebrate Pascha with the same system as the Roman Catholics? 

So without calculating Passover?  I wasn't sure if that was what you were saying...

If you could clarify that would be great! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 12:34:34 PM »

Because the Franciscans came in the late 14 and early 15th century the Indians at that time in the Malabar church did not celebrate Easter on the Western Calendar (I am unaware of their calculation of Pascha which is your question to the Coptic Pascha). Franciscans forced the Gregorian Calendar and that had been the calendar for systematic trading with British East India Company in states outside Kerala specifically Goa. So they were aware of calculating the dates but more importantly the Syriac Bishop who was to reform back the Indian Church into communion with Oriental Churches. He was  to assist the Indians to celebrate Pascha and Feast days outside Gregorian Calendar. Not until the early to mid 20th century of the independence of India that businesses became more exclusive in the Kerala state. Essentially the Bishops in this century found it completely fine to celebrate Western Easter (not identified as Pascha but because of Syriac it is occassionally called Pesho like in the Hebrew) which they believe works fine for the business days for non-Christians of the government who have tolerated the Christian days over the past century.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:36:27 PM by alexp4uni » Logged
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 03:23:39 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

I think this article here may be of help to you.  Page 9 in particular talks about how Easter is calculated in the Coptic Church.

Please pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 05:25:19 PM »

Cephas,

Thank you for the article!! 

I wish you had told me that it was .pdf  because i've been having some problems with Acrobat recently...but oh well. 

I will read through it and see if its helpful.  Thanks a bunch!! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
SaintShenouti

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 12:52:07 PM »

Maybe this will help:

http://www.copticchurch.net/easter.html
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:02:48 AM »

Thanks a lot!  The link was very helpful! 

Now I just gota figure out how the heck to calculate all this stuf... Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags: Pascha Indian Orthodox Coptic Orthodox Church calendar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: