OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:08:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repost from OO Yahoo Group.  (Read 1203 times) Average Rating: 0
Gabriel
Agnostic Pessimist

« on: November 15, 2006, 06:06:38 AM »

I'm re-posting what I've written to the Oriental_Orthodox yahoo group.  Please feel free to comment:

Greetings folks. 

This is my first post, even though I've been a member of this group for a little while.

I've noticed this seemingly repeating trend among every Oriental Orthodox web source I've stumbled upon.

There seems to be little to no activity in all of these sites, and I'm a bit confused as to why.  This weblist is usually "Spiritual Words" with the odd topic every now and then.  But, this isn't the only place.  Christianforums.com has an entire OO forum.  It gets maybe 1-5 posts a month.  The OO also have their own space over at orthodoxchristianity.net as well.  The same trend, little to no traffic.  I don't understand it.  If you look at the Eastern (Byzantine) Orthodox sections on the same sites, they have plenty of members, plenty of people who view them, and plenty of conversations going on. 

The OO have just as rich of a tradition as the Byzantines, but for some reason... they seem to be lacking. 

Keep in mind, that I'm just a new guy, and I'm not meaning to belittle this group.  I'm just genuinely curious.  =/

Kyrie Eleison,

Gabriel

Now, I understand that many of will say, "Well, if you want traffic, why don't you post?"  Fair enough, which is what I'm doing.

Thoughts, comments, observations, or protests?

My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning.
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 03:00:22 AM »

Perhaps the OO's are just better at keeping the advice of the Desert Fathers to avoid useless and vain conversation:

"It was said of Abba Agathon that for three years he lived with a stone in his mouth, until he had learnt to keep silence."

Smiley

SaintShenouti

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 12:41:33 PM »

Perhaps the OO's are just better at keeping the advice of the Desert Fathers to avoid useless and vain conversation:

"It was said of Abba Agathon that for three years he lived with a stone in his mouth, until he had learnt to keep silence."

Very good point, but I think we need to increase our involvement within the Orthodox community and out.  Silence is good, but there comes a time when one needs to speak out.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 12:47:07 PM by SaintShenouti » Logged
Tags: silence 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: