OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 08:28:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skipping class  (Read 2450 times) Average Rating: 0
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« on: November 14, 2006, 01:29:45 AM »

Is it a sin to skip class? Just wondering...

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 05:09:55 AM »

Is it a sin to skip class? Just wondering...

Only if you get caught Wink

Seriously though, I think it violates "honor thy father and thy mother"...I assume your parents expect you to go to school. Also, if you lie to cover up that is definatley a sin.
Go to School
Thanksgiving long weekend is coming soon Smiley

Proverbs 22:7
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:25:12 AM »

Well I am in college so if I skip...the teacher doesn't care.  It is a small enough school that they certainly notice, but...they don't ask where you were. SO, no lying involved  Smiley

Good point about "honor thy father and mother" though...

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 07:57:34 AM »

College, so you're paying for this class???
Just #@&% ing go to class already!

Proverbs 22:7
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 08:57:53 AM »

Going to class and taking at least some notes is the single easiest way to pass a course with at least a C. Professors have egos. Seeing their lectures regurgitated to back to them on a test makes you look intelligent! (at least to them). Seriously, you could probably never open the text book (unless it is math or accounting or some such thing) and pass just by going to class.

By the time you borrow someone's notes and go the the library to copy them and return them you have probably used up about the same amount of time the class would have involved.

Missing the occassional class probably won't hurt you (like maybe one each half semester) but habitual missing will catch up with you!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 09:00:24 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
jayjay

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 09:28:09 AM »

Here's one - how do you get a 15yr old girl to ATTEND class!!! Our daughter has decided that school is 'gay', and that she now skips as many classes as she can. Gone through all the talks about the future etc, school councilors, principles etc. I missed a few here and there, but not enough for the school to ring every week 2-3 times. Any suggestions???

Expect the best, Prepare for the worst!
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 09:59:04 AM »

Class attendence is obligatory only in some Anglo-American contexts. In many countries of continental Europe and Asia, the lecturers see no shame in just reading everything at home and coming in juts for the exam.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 10:04:40 AM »

Class attendence is obligatory only in some Anglo-American contexts. In many countries of continental Europe and Asia, the lecturers see no shame in just reading everything at home and coming in juts for the exam.

I think Greece is like this... Of course, there are other quirks to their educational system (like the police can't go onto college campuses unless called to do so by the University Board or Parliament - something like that - so I know of people who visited the U of Thessaloniki and saw narcotics being used out in the open...).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 10:13:42 AM »

Going to class and taking at least some notes is the single easiest way to pass a course with at least a C. Professors have egos. Seeing their lectures regurgitated to back to them on a test makes you look intelligent! (at least to them).

Only bad ones. I had one professor who openly stated that simply regurgitating his notes was a way to get a very poor mark and several others who quite clearly took a similar view. As far as I'm concerned any university professor that doesn't do his very best to encourage independant thought in his students is very poor indeed.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 12:32:38 PM »

Well...obviously I don't skip the lecture-based classes! But then again, I only have one of those, and it's taught by my priest.  I think he might notice if I wasn't there.  Wink

Haha....how ironic...the class that I skipped yesterday, I got up all early this morning to go to it, and found that it was cancelled!

Some teachers are just begging for students to skip class though.  In one of my classes there is pretty much no reason to go to class unless you're stupid and don't do the assigned readings.  He never lectures, he never gives any new information in class, the only reason to go is to take tests. I do go normally though, I only skipped once! But he ALWAYS lets us out early anyways, like at least a half hour early. Actually he is kind of wasting our money, making us pay for so many credit hours, then not really teaching and letting us go really early every single period.  I think the class has gone to its official end time ONCE. 

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 10:00:38 PM »

College is like any other transaction, you paid money to receive a service (in this case be taught) if you don't go, its not a sin and its your money, you can spend it however you chose to. If you want to give the University free money, thats your call. As for me, I'll give them the money to get the extra sleep. Best sleep I've ever gotten those college classes are!  Grin

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 11:46:31 PM »

jmbejdl
I would agree with you; however the practical truth is in what I had to say. Go to class, you will pass.
It's not a comment on the quality or lack thereof of the education being received. Just some practical advise on how to get by in this world to a youn man tempted to skip class.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: