OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:22:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Departure of Mother Irini  (Read 12006 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: November 11, 2006, 02:49:31 AM »

Our Mother Irini, Abbess of St. Philopateer Mercurius (Abu Sefein) Convent in Old Cairo, Egypt, departed to join the ranks of Heavenly Saints on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 (21 Baba 1723 AM on the Coptic calendar), following a long battle with cancer and other afflictions.

Omenna Irini joined the Convent at the age of 17. His Holiness the late Pope St. Kyrillos VI, recognising the exemplary reflection of God's Love and Holiness and the profound ascetic self-discipline exercised in her monastic life, entrusted her to be Abbess of St. Abu Sefein Convent following the departure of the previous Abbess at the mere age of 20. So exceptional was this Nun in the eyes of the Late Patriarch that he granted her what is generally an exclusively priestly privilege--the ability to anoint people with Holy Oil.

She is most recognised amongst Copts for her intimate relationship and Communion with the Saints. She is particularly known to have been visited by, and to have communicated with, Saints of the Old Testament, St. Anthony the Great, and St. Philopateer Mercurius. In her last days she has given us the privelege to hear of the various wondrous events and incidents, that God may be glorified through His Saints, by allowing her narration of such events and incidents to be recorded*. She is also known to have received a dream regarding the Papacy of His Holiness Pope Shenouda III.

Omenna Irini is known to have prayed to God requesting that if He should find it fit that she be tested with a trial, that that trial affect her physical being and not the love, peace and harmony that existed amongst her Nuns at the Convent. Omenna Irini's prayer was answered when she was struck with cancer. This was not the only physical ailment she had to deal with however; she was at one stage simultaneously suffering from a blocked artery, and was flown to the U.S. for an emergency bypass operation. The night before the operation, St. Philopateer Mercurios appeared to her and told her that he came to perform the bypass operation for her. Omenna Irini felt St. Philopateer insert an instrument thrice into her artery, in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He then declared her healed; out of his great love for Omenna Irini, he told her that it was his desire that he also cure her weak heart that was made as such by the Chemotherapy she was undergoing as part of her cancer treatment. However, he said that he would leave her heart in God's hands, and declared that in as much as it was his desire to prolong her lead of his Monastery, that he would not want to deprive her of the Crown that awaited her for her most faithful endurance throughout the whole ordeal. The next day, the American physicians found Omenna Irini's arteries to have been cured.

Regardless of the tremendous suffering that she endured, Omenna Irini continued to praise and glorify God. Though deprived, according to her own will, of healing for her own cancerous condition, God granted healing through her prayers to many others who suffered and desparately sought her prayers, just as He did through the Apostle Paul who healed many afflicted in his days of suffering also.

*I have these recordings (which are in Arabic) on CD; I can download them as MP3's if anyone is interested.

A short excerpt on her taken from the April 99 edition of Al-Ahram Weekly:

"Mother Ireni, mother superior at the Abu Seifein Convent, is deeply involved in her effort to bring to light women's real contribution to monastic life in Egypt. Mother Ireni must be the one nun Coptic Christians today love the most; she is considered a living saint by the majority. While traditional accounts have consecrated St Paul of Thebes and St Anthony as the pioneers of monastic life and seclusion from the world, Mother Ireni insists that it was women who started this tradition, in the first century AD. Shortly after the resurrection of Christ, she believes, a group of women vowed to live a celibate life of prayer in a community at Mount Olive. They are supposed to have been in close contact with St Mary, the mother of Christ. Although this was the first of its kind, according to Mother Ireni, such communities of women proliferated and became commonly known as the "houses of virgins". In the centuries that followed, women also sought a solitary life in the desert as anchorites, but disguised themselves as men. Their real identity was only discovered after their death. Mother Ireni, however, emphasises that some of the anchorites who reached high levels of spirituality even had monks as disciples, "like Anisimone, the anchorite who taught many monks."

The first convent, where 400 nuns lived, followed the rule of St Pachomious. In the first centuries, there were also women's convents in Akhmim, Sohag, while another convent in Upper Egypt had more than 1,800 nuns within its walls. At one point, the number of nuns exceeded the number of monks; near Beni Suef, there were monastic communities where 10,000 monks and 20,000 nuns lived.

Mother Ireni, who hails from Upper Egypt, became head of the convent at the age of 16. She holds fast to the tradition of St Pachomious in the monastic way of life. In the second half of the fourth century, St Pachomious began a movement in which monks and nuns were organised in strictly regulated communities. In his monastery of Tabenna near the Nile, 7,000 men and women lived in congregations. Their garments included a tunic of linen, a cloak of goat or sheepskin, and a hood. They came to live within a walled enclosure, which included a church, refectory, dormitory, garden, and a separate lodging for visitors. St Pachomious's way of life has been instrumental in shaping the contemporary Catholic monastic movement. Mother Ireni insists on the importance of living in a community. "While it is up to each nun to decide on the level of austerity appropriate for her, our life is still essentially built on partnership and love."

May her prayers be with us all. Amen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 02:54:54 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 04:06:41 AM »

What a remarkable woman!  Memory eternal!

Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:12:09 PM »

The monastery of Saint Filopateer has produced many saints before, and is remarkable for the spiritual atmosphere that surrounds it and the personal relation that the blessed nuns share with saints, specially Saint Filopateer, their patron saint and protector, and Saint Demiana, the holy martyr of Egypt, whose personal intercessor was Saint Filopateer. You enter the monastery, which lies in the middle of a very crowded place and in the midst of the market, and there is something that touches your heart instantenously.

Tamav Irini's life was a series of heavy afflictions and a series of powerful revelations that went hand by hand as the first post explains. To an extent, her life mirrors that of St.Paul, who would perform miracles and preach the word of God although under tremendous sufferings. She gave great comfort to everybody who visited the monastery and to people who were in distress, while she herself was in pain. Once, a group of 30 + young university and high school kids from one church in Heliopolis, Egypt, were killed in a car accident after visiting a monastery on a spiritual retreat, which was a devastating blow to the families of the church specially in the funeral. Tamav Irini saw them worshipping in heaven and received among the ranks of the heavenly,so she went to the families of the Church and related to them this revelation. It brought a great comfort to the families and the congregation.

May her prayers be with us. Thanks EA.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 07:44:27 PM »

Thank you very much, Ekhristos Anesti!
joyisgod

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 09:19:08 PM »

I had the privilege and honor of meeting Omna Irini when I was visiting Egypt 2 years ago.  When my family and I entered the monastery she was incredibly welcoming, she offered us drinks, sweets, and gave us gifts.  And all though she looked pretty ill she still managed to show us around the monastery, and that glowing smile never left her face.  When we were leaving she asked us to stay for dinner, and she even laughed about how if we would stay she would go and cook the food herself.  Her generosity was unconditional, and she truly was a blessed woman with a loving heart.  A true saint that was living among us.     

May her prayers be with us all.
Thanks EA, may she bless you always!!! 

“I who am but dust and ashes have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord” (Gn 18:27).
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 01:54:05 AM »

It seems like the second image of Mother Irini failed to show properly in my original post. Here it is again; hopefully it will work this time:

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Zoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 03:14:53 AM »

Thank you very much, EA.  I'd be fascinated to read those recordings translated in English possibly one day.

NI!!!!!!
Raouf

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 07:59:09 PM »

*I have these recordings (which are in Arabic) on CD; I can download them as MP3's if anyone is interested.

Dear EkhristosAnesti,

Please do download those MP3's and let us know where we can download them ourselves.

Thank you!

In Christ,
Raouf

Flog your enemies with the Name of Jesus and let the remembrance of Jesus be present with each breath. - St. John Climacus
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 01:03:47 AM »

EkhristosAnesti

I am saddened at the lost of such a wonderful and devoted person.

I feel blessed that I even looked upon her in the picture you provided.

May God give her soul peace.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 01:18:39 AM »

Memory Eternal !!

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 09:17:17 PM »

Hey Raouf,

I will try and get the first CD done for you by tommorow; i'll upload it onto rapidupload.com and provide the link here.

SaintShenouti

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »

Memory eternal!
Tags: saints Oriental Orthodox saints Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: