OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 01:07:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belarusian Council of Orthodox Churches  (Read 2269 times) Average Rating: 0
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« on: November 10, 2006, 09:37:56 PM »

Does anyone hear any information about the current status of Belarusian Council of Orthodox Churches of Ecumenical Patriarchate. They are not included to the list of the jurisdictions of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in North America at the official site of GOA anymore. As far as I try to recall, they have (4) parishes in USA and (1) in Canada.
The question has been brought up here:
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Talk:Belarusian_Council_of_Orthodox_Churches_in_North_America

That source suggests that the aforementioned jursidiction will become the part of ACROD. As of now, they are not included in the list of parishes of GOA, ACROD or UOC. Also, does someone have any update about Fr. Archimandrite Gregory O'Keefe, the Administrator of Belarusian Council of Orthodox Churches.  Another priest of the Belarusian Council recently became a pastor of one of GOA parishes in CT.
Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:15:09 PM »

Please add me to this request. I had at one time a lively email association with Fr. Gregory but shortly after his cancer treatment he suddenly disappeared. I have his home address and telephone somewhere here but do not want to disturb him.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:38:39 PM »

Thank you very much, Αριστοκλής.

his cancer treatment
Oh, my God! I did not know that. Sorry to hear. Hope he is okay now. I really enjoyed reading his posts at OCL. Fr. Gregory united a lot of deep sense in a simple, clear form. Fr. Gregory can be a very good bishop. That would be excellent if he will!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 02:52:18 AM »

Thank you very much, Αριστοκλής.
Oh, my God! I did not know that. Sorry to hear. Hope he is okay now. I really enjoyed reading his posts at OCL. Fr. Gregory united a lot of deep sense in a simple, clear form. Fr. Gregory can be a very good bishop. That would be excellent if he will!

Yes, he did duty at OCL's forum. That place is still around under a new name and URL (which I don't give out) and with the same malcontents complaining. But they now have a new GO priest to try to keep them in line. I think they must be an assignment (not a pleasant one) from the archdiocese or something like that! Archimandrite Gregory, former Roman Catholic, also moderated for a time at ByzCath while he was assigned as assistant priest at St. Barbara's Greek Orthodox Church  in Orange, CT. Used to see him on their internet-broadcast Divine Liturgies when we got snowed in on Sundays. Perhaps the priest there could give us some info, if that's allowed. Or perhaps our own Fr. Chris could help out here?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 09:03:15 PM »

Αριστοκλής, I really appreciate all that. Thank you for your suggestions. I will contact that parish in Orange and try to figure what is going on. I will let you know as soon as I will figure something out. That may be by PM if that way would seem more appropriate in terms of Fr. Gregory's privacy.

But they now have a new GO priest to try to keep them in line. I think they must be an assignment (not a pleasant one) from the archdiocese or something like that!

Yes, it is a tough task!
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 09:07:50 PM »

I just received some information from a member of Belarusian Council of Orthodox Churches jurisdiction. All the parishes are still a separate jurisdiction. Thanks God, they are all active. Currently, Metropolitan Nicholas Smisko of Amissos (a ruling Hierarch of ACROD) serves also as a Locum Tenens for Belarusian Council.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 05:47:22 PM »

I've found only ė (in South River, Chicago, Richmond Hill and in Toronto). Where is the fifth one?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »

^Cleveland
Strangely, it belongs to the UOC-USA, not to the ACROD.

http://www.uocofusa.org/directories_parishes.html
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »

^Cleveland

Not so strange really. There is a Romanian parish in a Greek Orthodox metropolis; been there for years.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »

So why there are 4 parishes under ACROD and one under UOC?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 05:28:57 PM »

^Cleveland

The one in Cleveland apparently was not among the four under the EP. Why, who knows? Perhaps it is an older one that has its own story of coming under the UOC before the other four organized. My impression was the four were relatively new parishes of recent immigrants, which makes sense.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »

^Cleveland

The one in Cleveland apparently was not among the four under the EP. Why, who knows? Perhaps it is an older one that has its own story of coming under the UOC before the other four organized. My impression was the four were relatively new parishes of recent immigrants, which makes sense.

The Chicago one has been around for a while-at least over 20 years.  It has, however, gotten a new lease on life its seems with new immigrants.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »

Something in Russian (great website btw):

http://hierarchy.religare.ru/h-orthod-belcon.html

It looks like the 5th parish I was looking for is just a chapel in Glen Spey NY cared by priests from the other parishes.
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »

Something in Russian (great website btw):

http://hierarchy.religare.ru/h-orthod-belcon.html

It looks like the 5th parish I was looking for is just a chapel in Glen Spey NY cared by priests from the other parishes.

Michał, I was to ask this some time ago, and you're best man to be asked in the subject - what's the case with Belarusian youth? Is it true, that most of them change their faith to Greek Catholic, because it is considered to be "intelectual" and "anti-Łukaszenka" denomination?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:23:48 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »

Start a thread in the "Politics" section.
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 11:48:15 AM »

Start a thread in the "Politics" section.

Ok. I'll post a request to access the section later today.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:48:36 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
Tags: Belarus 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: