OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:01:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May 25/June 7: Commemoration of the Reunion of 3,000,000 'Eastern Catholics'  (Read 7855 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2006, 03:24:29 PM »

Your pope has all right to determine the rules of his own gig, but in Orthodox theology truth is determined by the consensus patrorum. That isn't always democracy, but in circumstances like this, individual believers, especially if their notions of justice come from outside the Church, should not lightly question such matters.
Any rational and clear thinking individual can see that the the tactics you suggest are acceptable are, rather,  evil, vile, and to be detested by all Christians. I cannot believe that His Holiness, Patriarch Bartholemew would accept such tactics. Convert or die is not a Christian method of evangelism.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2006, 03:35:53 PM »

Indeed, we would be mighty hypocritical by criticizing radical Islam for this if we espoused it ourselves.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 03:36:13 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2006, 03:49:28 PM »

Any rational and clear thinking individual can see that the the tactics you suggest are acceptable are, rather,  evil, vile, and to be detested by all Christians. I cannot believe that His Holiness, Patriarch Bartholemew would accept such tactics. Convert or die is not a Christian method of evangelism.

And the 4th Crusade was, what?  Right.  Vladimir is a pre-schism saint, correct, so his tactics were accepted by both our churches, right?  I know the taking of human life sounds detestible - right or wrong that's our modern sensibilities.  I know that in this day and age "convert or die" (which it wasn't exactly that...) would not be accepted by any Church - but unless you want to hop in the time machine and see the context of the period, I don't know if you should pass judgment on the fathers who made the Church what it is.

As for +BARTHOLOMEW, I'm sure he 1) would not condone it in the 20th or 21st centuries, 2) would not do it himself, and 3) would not condemn the tactics of a major saint of the Church when those tactics are central to their lives and works.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2006, 04:57:55 PM »

Convert or die is not a Christian method of evangelism.

Well, while I agree with Cleveland and CRC (that this needs to be put in context - time period).  I would also add that isn't "convert or die" a central tenet of most faiths?

What I mean by that is "believe as we do, or run the risk of suffering spiritual death".

If I might ask Papist... what happens to me (from the RC point of view), as an OC, if I do not take part in RC sacraments (or otherwise live as a RC)? 

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2006, 05:24:28 PM »

Well, while I agree with Cleveland and CRC (that this needs to be put in context - time period).  I would also add that isn't "convert or die" a central tenet of most faiths?

Mostly a Muslim tenet.

In this case I believe that the monarch had free Raine. The Orthodox just didn't do anything to stop it. That doesn't really make them guilty of anything other than allowing it to happen. This can be classified as an act of God. He was the radiation the Church needed for the cancer.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »

I don't mean die, in terms of an earthly life, but die in the spiritual sense.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2006, 05:46:39 PM »

If I might ask Papist... what happens to me (from the RC point of view), as an OC, if I do not take part in RC sacraments (or otherwise live as a RC)? 

Well, Rome considers Eastern sacraments to be efficacious, though we be separated.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2006, 05:50:29 PM »

And the 4th Crusade was, what?  Right.  Vladimir is a pre-schism saint, correct, so his tactics were accepted by both our churches, right?  I know the taking of human life sounds detestible - right or wrong that's our modern sensibilities.  I know that in this day and age "convert or die" (which it wasn't exactly that...) would not be accepted by any Church - but unless you want to hop in the time machine and see the context of the period, I don't know if you should pass judgment on the fathers who made the Church what it is.

As for +BARTHOLOMEW, I'm sure he 1) would not condone it in the 20th or 21st centuries, 2) would not do it himself, and 3) would not condemn the tactics of a major saint of the Church when those tactics are central to their lives and works.
The intention of the Crusades was vastly different. That was to protect Christians traveling in the Holy Land and establish Christian kingdoms to Protect Christians and Holy sites there. That is noble. However, I will not try to justify many of the evil actions comitted by many of the crusaders. I recongnize that many did reprehensible things and that those things should be juged most harshly. As for His Holiness Partriarch Bartholomew, He is way to Holy to not condemn things like what we are discussing.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2006, 05:52:53 PM »

What I mean by that is "believe as we do, or run the risk of suffering spiritual death".

It depends on you spiritual state. I do not know if you will die in a state of grace. I do not know if you are sufficiently ignorant of the truth of the Catholic faith to fall into the category of invincible ignorance. I would never judge your soul. All I know is that the Catholic Church is the Universal Ark of salvation and the sure way into heaven. But I am NOT going to threaten to kill you if you do not convert. That would not be Christian.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2006, 05:57:22 PM »

Well, Rome considers Eastern sacraments to be efficacious, though we be separated.
But we also believe that the Catholic Church is the Universal Ark of salvation, apart from which none can be saved. That being said, we do make the one exception of invincible ignorance, i.e. those who are outside of the Church, seeking the truth, but are sufficiently ignorant of the Truth of the Catholic faith so as to make it impossible for them to know that the Catholic faith is the true faith. Such persons, we comend to the mercy of God, for although we are bound to the Sacraments, God is not. In a sense such persons are outside of the Ark but hanging on to it for dear life. It is not the surest way of salvation. In fact, it is very dangerous compared to the situation of those in the Ark/Church, but in this sense the Church is still involved in their salvation.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »

But we also believe that the Catholic Church is the Universal Ark of salvation, apart from which none can be saved. That being said, we do make the one exception of invincible ignorance, i.e. those who are outside of the Church, seeking the truth, but are sufficiently ignorant of the Truth of the Catholic faith so as to make it impossible for them to know that the Catholic faith is the true faith. Such persons, we comend to the mercy of God, for although we are bound to the Sacraments, God is not. In a sense such persons are outside of the Ark but hanging on to it for dear life. It is not the surest way of salvation. In fact, it is very dangerous compared to the situation of those in the Ark/Church, but in this sense the Church is still involved in their salvation.
As we say, "Extra Ecclesiam, nulla solus".
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:58:21 PM by Papist » Logged

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2006, 06:39:16 PM »

The Vatican II decree on ecumenism Unitatis Redintegratio says,

It follows that the separated Churches and Communities as such, though we believe them to be deficient in some respects, have been by no means deprived of significance and importance in the mystery of salvation. For the Spirit of Christ has not refrained from using them as means of salvation which derive their efficacy from the very fullness of grace and truth entrusted to the Church.

Eastern Orthodox churches are considered "authentic local Churches" with grace-filled sacraments. Protestant churches are called "ecclesial communities," as they are not "authentic local Churches."

The Catechism (#838) says,

"The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324
griego catolico

...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2006, 11:15:14 PM »

Could we please stay on topic...again? Smiley

Do all the Orthodox Churches have this commemoration in their liturgical calendars?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2006, 01:44:13 AM »

The Vatican II decree on ecumenism Unitatis Redintegratio says,

It follows that the separated Churches and Communities as such, though we believe them to be deficient in some respects, have been by no means deprived of significance and importance in the mystery of salvation. For the Spirit of Christ has not refrained from using them as means of salvation which derive their efficacy from the very fullness of grace and truth entrusted to the Church.

Eastern Orthodox churches are considered "authentic local Churches" with grace-filled sacraments. Protestant churches are called "ecclesial communities," as they are not "authentic local Churches."

The Catechism (#838) says,

"The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324
That lack of precision in these decrees and statements makes it difficult to determine what they are saying. However, you must remember that all modern Catholic teaching must be interprated in light of past Catholic teaching. And, in the Past, the Catholic Church taught "Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Solus".

dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2006, 03:08:34 AM »

I've never run across the celebration in the Russian Church.  That isn't to say that it doesn't occur.  It could just be a local feast elsewhere.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2006, 04:41:40 PM »

The intention of the Crusades was vastly different. That was to protect Christians traveling in the Holy Land and establish Christian kingdoms to Protect Christians and Holy sites there. That is noble. However, I will not try to justify many of the evil actions comitted by many of the crusaders. I recongnize that many did reprehensible things and that those things should be juged most harshly. As for His Holiness Partriarch Bartholomew, He is way to Holy to not condemn things like what we are discussing.

I said the 4th Crusade - there is scholarly debate as to whether this crusade ever had the intention of really going to the Holy Land - regardless, its only accomplishment was the sacking of Constantinople (the Easterners didn't think they were there to invade, and opened the doors), the establishment of a "Latin" emperor on the throne, the replacement of the True Patriarch with one who would assent to Papal supremacy, etc.  They tried to convert the East through means of the sword - blessed by the pope, no less.  It was only 5 centuries later that an apology was made (which is pretty empty considering Constantinople was plundered of relics and religious items, besides the innumerable other valuable items).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2006, 04:43:51 PM »

Nope, I haven't seen the commemoration in question in the GOA synaxarion... Nor the Church of Greece.

---------------------
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2006, 04:46:28 PM »

With our concurrent 'forced conversion' thread, this 1204 event stands out still and all others to me, even the 'conversion' of the native Meso and South Americans, pale in comparison.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2006, 04:49:16 PM »

I've never run across the celebration in the Russian Church.  That isn't to say that it doesn't occur.  It could just be a local feast elsewhere.

I wonder about ACROD? I must find out.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2006, 06:15:34 PM »

With our concurrent 'forced conversion' thread, this 1204 event stands out still and all others to me, even the 'conversion' of the native Meso and South Americans, pale in comparison.
Look. I openly and honestly admit that Catholics have been guilty of grievous crimes at times. Furthermore, I would never try to justify those actions. My problem is that some of the Eastern Orthodox persons on this forum are actually trying to justify the convert or die method. Any true Christian should appalled by this.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2006, 06:17:25 PM »

I said the 4th Crusade - there is scholarly debate as to whether this crusade ever had the intention of really going to the Holy Land - regardless, its only accomplishment was the sacking of Constantinople (the Easterners didn't think they were there to invade, and opened the doors), the establishment of a "Latin" emperor on the throne, the replacement of the True Patriarch with one who would assent to Papal supremacy, etc.  They tried to convert the East through means of the sword - blessed by the pope, no less.  It was only 5 centuries later that an apology was made (which is pretty empty considering Constantinople was plundered of relics and religious items, besides the innumerable other valuable items).
Yeah, and we are sorry about that. We do not try to justify the actions of our ancestors in this matter. We only pray that God would grant them mercy. The Eastern Orthodox on this forum, on the other hand, are actually trying to justify the convert or die method of "evangelism". If they truely believe it is just, then thank God they do have rule in many powerful countries.

Tags: Belarus 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: