OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:11:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE NATIVITY STORY  (Read 1815 times) Average Rating: 0
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:59:48 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I don't know if this was discussed, but I've been away at our Clergy Conference, last week.  Yesterday, I noticed a poster advertising this new movie, "The Nativity Story", so I just checked out its web site:  http://www.thenativitystory.com/
Sounds rather interesting.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 01:11:30 PM »

I hadn't seen or heard of it, which isn't unusual since I never go to the movies. I just might have to check this one out.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:00:19 PM »

Looks accurate to me. At least they don't have some pale-white Irish woman playing Mary.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »

I was going to ask about this movie, as some of my youth in my parish want to see this and I'm thinking of making it a group outing during the Christmas holiday.

However, I have some questions:

1. It has a PG rating for some violence (hopefully just implied). Does anyone know any details on this?

2. How accurate is the movie to Orthodox tradition? The stills show Joseph as being much too young, and that is really a shame as it denudes the Nativity of the theological evidence brought forth by Joseph's extreme age. Any other inaccuracies brought up in the movie?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:19:52 PM »

....theological evidence brought forth by Joseph's extreme age.

Where?

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
KATHXOYMENOC

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 01:32:39 AM »

For a review of the script by an Orthodox priest:

http://southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.com/2006/10/review-nativity-story.html

And ... for the latest info about the girl who plays the Virgin Mary:

16-Year-Old "Whale Rider" Star To Be A Mommy
Posted by RT-News on Friday, Oct. 06, 2006, 11:58 AM

Jen Yamato writes: Young Oscar-nominated actress Keisha Castle-Hughes, who starred in the lauded New Zealand drama "Whale Rider" at the tender age of 12, has announced that she's pregnant. "Whale Rider" came out in 2002, so if you do the math...the young mom-to-be is sixteen years old. But a very mature sixteen, they say.

Castle-Hughes became the youngest, uh, woman, nominated for a Best Actress Oscar in 2004, for her debut performance as a Maori girl destined to become her tribe's leader in "Whale Rider." She followed up that turn with a role in "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," as the Queen of Naboo. Her next role? Playing the Virgin Mary in Catherine Hardwicke's "The Nativity Story," due this December.

According to gossip-scooper People Magazine, the baby's father is Castle-Hughes' boyfriend of three years, nineteen-year-old Bradley Hull. The two met in high school.

Castle-Hughes is also onboard the Australian coming-of-age dramedy "Hey, Hey, It's Esther Blueburger," in which she's set to star with Toni Collette. It's about a 13-year-old Jewish girl (played by Aussie newcomer Danielle Catanzariti) who secretly switches from private to public school; production is scheduled to start this month, and Castle-Hughes is expected to give birth in the spring.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:36:50 AM by KATHXOYMENOC » Logged

KYPIOCIHCOYCXPICTOC
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 10:59:53 AM »

1. It has a PG rating for some violence (hopefully just implied). Does anyone know any details on this?

The only violence I can think of would be the slaughter of the Holy Innocents by Herod the Great, and/or possibily Roman violence towards the Jews.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 07:35:20 PM »

The only violence I can think of would be the slaughter of the Holy Innocents by Herod the Great, and/or possibily Roman violence towards the Jews.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. But, is the violence subtle or implied ( a hint of the Salughter of the Innocents)?

Or is it blatent? (not quite a slasher flick, but still something that is not appropriate for younger viewers, such as seeing somebody getting stabbed but the knife being hidden in the robes of the victim, etc)

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 10:16:50 AM »

If it was blatent, I'd think it would have the same rating as "The Passion of the Christ"..."R".

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 10:25:49 AM »

Yeah. Violence in PG movies has to be non-graphic, but it can still be psychologically intense.

Have you watched the trailer for the movie, Father? There are a few seconds in the trailer from the slaughter. One doesn't see any gore at all, but it's done in a powerful way nonetheless. If the trailer is any indication, the movie won't show any actual stabbing of kids, but there will be plenty of shots of little kids screaming and then a pan-up to a soldier stabbing downward.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:26:49 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »

Yes, I saw the trailer and know what you mean.  You know the life of Our Lord has so much that it seems better to make movies of His life in stages. 

Tags: nativity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: