OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 05:00:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God the Father in Iconography  (Read 31677 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »

God the Father has never been revealed in human form, only as a voice (such as at the Baptism of Christ and at His Transfiguration). Iconography is concerned with the revelation of God, not with speculation or imagination.
The Ancient of Days in Daniel is clearly the Father and clearly a man with white hair and beard.

You will be told differently in this thread, I promise.
I've heard the view that The Ancient of Days in Daniel is Christ. It doesn't make any sense to me, though. Who then was the one like the Son of Man?

Nice avatar btw Grin!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:10:27 PM by Volnutt » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »

God the Father has never been revealed in human form, only as a voice (such as at the Baptism of Christ and at His Transfiguration). Iconography is concerned with the revelation of God, not with speculation or imagination.
The Ancient of Days in Daniel is clearly the Father and clearly a man with white hair and beard.

You will be told differently in this thread, I promise.
I've heard the view that The Ancient of Days in Daniel is Christ. It doesn't make any sense to me, though. Who then was the one like the Son of Man?

Nice avatar btw Grin!

Thank you kindly!

Was your question re the Ancient of Days your one-thousand-three-hundred-and-thirthy-seventh post? Leet.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:12:29 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »

The only versions I can find online all look like Christ to me, and by look I mean they all have the IC XC and OWN.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »

1338, looks like.

I think my leet post was on the RC doctrine of the Assumption. Undecided
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »

The only versions I can find online all look like Christ to me, and by look I mean they all have the IC XC and OWN.
I believe those are based on Revelation 1. I was always told the whole Trinity can be equally be called Ancient of Days (which is why I like Ethiopian Trinity icons).
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »

I believe those are based on Revelation 1. I was always told the whole Trinity can be equally be called Ancient of Days (which is why I like Ethiopian Trinity icons).
Most likely are. I have an icon of the Apocalypse which contains that icon, though it doesn't label it "Ancient of Days".
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »

The Fathers and the Seventh Ecumenical Council allow the Father to be portrayed as the Ancient of Days.

Please see messages 186 and 187
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10122.msg515769.html#msg515769
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2011, 08:31:43 PM »

The Fathers and the Seventh Ecumenical Council allow the Father to be portrayed as the Ancient of Days.

at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10122.msg515769.html#msg515769
I guess it depends on whether one would rather believe St. Nikodemos the Hagiorite or the 1666 Synod of the Hundred Chapters.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:31:57 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2011, 08:35:51 PM »

at
I guess it depends on whether one would rather believe St. Nikodemos the Hagiorite or the 1666 Synod of the Hundred Chapters.
The former was a local council, and dealt specifically with the running of the Russian Church. The 7th Ecumenical Council was, well ecumenical, and permitted the depiction. It does not force the depiction on any church.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »

I agree. It doesn't seem like everyone does though.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »

at

The 1666 Moscow Council kind of looses out on a few of its major points which the Church has ignored.

1.  It forbids depictions of the Father as an old man

2.  It forbids depictions of the Spirit as a dove ( have I got that right?)

3.  It forbids the Baptism of Roman Catholics.

So.... an important Council but the Church has not implemented all its decrees.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »

2.  It forbids depictions of the Spirit as a dove ( have I got that right?)
You're asking me? I haven't read all it's decrees.
So.... an important Council but the Church has not implemented all its decrees.
Indeed.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2011, 08:50:39 PM »

It would be difficult to say that Holy Trinity monastery at Jordanville is ignorant of the controversy about the Trinity icon or about the 1666 Council --- 55 holy monks plus all the erudite seminary professors and seminarians.

And yet, there in the church, as its most revered patronal icon is the forbidden Trinity icon, kissed and venerated by pilgrims, kissed and venerated every day by the monks after Compline.

Ironically, the same monks in the bookstore who sell booklets which are anti this icon are also kissing it and prostrating before it every day!!

The photo below shows this icon on the right side of the church in its own free standing 'throne.'
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »

Ironically, the same monks in the bookstore who sell booklets which are anti this icon are also kissing it and prostrating before it every day!!
Probably means they consider the matter a theolegoumenon.
Tags: icons iconography Ancient of Days God the Father 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: