OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:06:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This Is Just So Very Wrong...  (Read 2744 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: November 04, 2006, 06:44:27 PM »

Again, I am flabbergasted at the apparent loss of hope of some people...

(FYI: he wasn't a Catholic priest)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2434625,00.html

Priest burns himself to death over Islam

A retired priest committed suicide by setting himself on fire in a German monastery in protest at the spread of Islam and the Protestant Church’s inability to contain it.
Roland Weisselberg, 73, poured a can of petrol over his head and set light to himself in the grounds of the Augustine monastery in the eastern city of Erfurt, where Martin Luther spent six years as a monk at the beginning of the 16th century.

Witnesses said that Weisselberg climbed into a building site next to the monastery church, where a Reformation Day service was being held. He shouted “Jesus and Oskar” before the flames engulfed him. The latter name was an apparent reference to Oskar Brüsewitz, a priest who burnt himself in 1976 in protest against the Communist regime in East Germany. Monastery staff tried to put out the flames and Weisselberg was still conscious as a nun prayed with him before he was taken to hospital. He died a day later, on Wednesday.

Media reports said that he had tried to kill himself inside the church but changed his mind when he found the side door was locked.

The Provost of Erfurt, Elfriede Begrich, told reporters that Weisselberg’s widow had said that he killed himself because he was alarmed at the spread of Islam and the Church’s stance on the issue.

She described Weisselberg as an erudite man who had addressed repeatedly the Church’s position on Islam in meetings over the past three to four years. He had written to her, urging her to take the matter more seriously, she said.

The Protestant Bishop of Saxony, Axel Noack, said the suicide had shocked the community and that he hoped it would not hurt relations between Christians and Muslims.

“We in the East are still among ourselves when we discuss Islam,” said Bishop Noack, adding that there were not many Muslims in the area.

Relations with Muslims have been a matter of intense debate in Germany in recent months, stoked by the cancellation of a Mozart opera in Berlin amid fears that it could provoke Muslim violence, and a speech by the Pope in September in which he quoted from a medieval text linking the spread of the Islamic faith to violence.

The Berlin Deutsche Oper has said that it will stage the opera, which has a scene showing the severed heads of the Prophet Muhammad, Jesus and Buddha.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:40:11 PM »

This is really sad.  We just can't give up hope like this....

I didn't realize that the Berlin Deutsche Oper was so liberal...i've never heard of a Mozart opera which had severed heads...

I expected better from them actually. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 01:37:57 AM »

This is really sad.  We just can't give up hope like this....

I didn't realize that the Berlin Deutsche Oper was so liberal...i've never heard of a Mozart opera which had severed heads...

I expected better from them actually. 
Again, I am flabbergasted at the apparent loss of hope of some people...

Yes, I agree with everything what you have said. May God forgive this priest's suicide.
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 02:04:41 AM »

What is happening in Germany is indeed very sad, I was there last september. Everything was fine, but almost everybody there is Turkish, Somalian, Afghan and Cypriot-Muslim.
MAndrewSprong

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian

MAndrewSprong
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:06:04 AM »

What is happening in Germany is indeed very sad, I was there last September. Everything was fine, but almost everybody there is Turkish, Somalian, Afghan and Cypriot-Muslim.

The incursion of Islam into Europe has been happening for quite some time now.  I have been to the middle-east where Christians have no rights under Islamic despots making the believers that much more devout.  In Germany and other European countries, apathy is the killer.  Youths do not stay in their parent's churches because of the marginal theology offered to them.  Islam demands something of the faithful, which is a very strong draw to the amoral tides at wash over the continent.  Orthodoxy could and should supplant this trend and call these same inquirers toward the true Church.  Will it happen? I don't know, but can only pray for the believers who remain.

Be grateful God cannot forget you and shameful if you still think he didn't see your in your sin.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:18:22 AM »

I was in Germany and Austria this past summer and I was astonished to see how many Muslims (both Arab and non) there were.  The accommodations these people are given by the secular society is astronomical.  I couldn't believe that, while I was in Munich, the Muslim call to prayer.  I asked someone who lived there who said that it happens every now and then but if things keep going, everyone will hear that same call five times a day.  Germany and these other western European nations are in denial if they don't see the spread of Islam and their demands for sharia law as detrimental to the freedoms they enjoy.  Unfortunately this priest's message will be ignored in favor of how he died.  But Euopre has to wake up sometime...I hope.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:10:31 AM »

That's the oddest thing to read about a clergy man , to commit suicide..you would think he would known better,and what scripture say's of one taking ones own life no matter how bad it gets.....im suprised he didn't stick around for martyrdom instead of committing suicide....
 A german friend of mine said there's about 2 millon truks and 1 million kurds and abunch other muslim nationalities ,,also a whole mess of bosnian muslims....SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:23:34 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 04:21:38 AM »

This is devastating news indeed! Desperation and exasperation have led this poor minister of Christ's Gospel to death.

This priest was most probably unaware of Christ's following statement:

Luke 18:8
Yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?

He probably did not know that Jesus also said many people would be misled by false teachers and prophets and few would be saved.

History will repeat itself and Christ's true followers will be persecuted before the coming of the great day. In His time His disicples were martyred and persecuted by some Jews, and before His glorious descent His followers will be persecuted by Muslims.

May this priest rest in peace and light. Amen.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 11:10:46 AM »

Absolutely heartbreaking. Lord have mercy.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 06:33:01 PM »

This is devastating news indeed! Desperation and exasperation have led this poor minister of Christ's Gospel to death.

This priest was most probably unaware of Christ's following statement:

Luke 18:8
Yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?

He probably did not know that Jesus also said many people would be misled by false teachers and prophets and few would be saved.

History will repeat itself and Christ's true followers will be persecuted before the coming of the great day. In His time His disicples were martyred and persecuted by some Jews, and before His glorious descent His followers will be persecuted by Muslims.

May this priest rest in peace and light. Amen.

Zdravo brate ..dobro dosao ovde......Hello Brother nice to see your post over here....hows thing s over there....i read quite a lot of your posts and the other ones there,
Keep up the good fight ,..........SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 12:36:11 PM »

This makes me very sad... I was in Erfurt in 2005, and in fact visited the church they speak of.  Our tour guides had a lot to say about how strong the culture of Lutheranism is there, how proud they are of their history and their association with Martin Luther.  It surprises me that this happened there, as that Lutheran influence is so strong.  I didn't see hide or hair of Muslim influence, but, of course, I was only there for the food (literally- it was a culinary school trip for the culinary olympics in Eisenach- about an hour away from Erfurt).  I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the Lutheran stuff outside of our tours.

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »

Zdravo brate ..dobro dosao ovde......Hello Brother nice to see your post over here....hows thing s over there....i read quite a lot of your posts and the other ones there,
Keep up the good fight ,..........SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Zdravo i tebi, brate.  Wink

Nothing unusual there. I am still trying to respond to planten's silly posts. There are fewer Muslims posters there now than before.

I shall keep up the fight as long as my Lord asks me to.

Blessings to you.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:31:34 PM by Theophilos78 » Logged

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »

This makes me very sad... I was in Erfurt in 2005, and in fact visited the church they speak of.  Our tour guides had a lot to say about how strong the culture of Lutheranism is there, how proud they are of their history and their association with Martin Luther.  It surprises me that this happened there, as that Lutheran influence is so strong.  I didn't see hide or hair of Muslim influence, but, of course, I was only there for the food (literally- it was a culinary school trip for the culinary olympics in Eisenach- about an hour away from Erfurt).  I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the Lutheran stuff outside of our tours.

Higher Criticism/Modernism/Liberalism (philosophical naturalism applied to scriptural interpretation) killed Lutheranism in Germany a long time ago.

Modern Germany is nothing more than an Atheistic republic........that will soon die. The false culture of Materialism has people seeking personal pleasure over "procreation".

Atheists are filled with the pride that they can't be wrong, and this is one of their many downfalls. For something is nocking at their door, but they are too bizzy mocking various forms of christianity to care. They seemed more worried about the wrongs that some christians have commited in the past than looking at the real problem in the near future.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:31:04 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 07:18:02 AM »

Higher Criticism/Modernism/Liberalism (philosophical naturalism applied to scriptural interpretation) killed Lutheranism in Germany a long time ago.

Modern Germany is nothing more than an Atheistic republic........that will soon die. The false culture of Materialism has people seeking personal pleasure over "procreation".

Atheists are filled with the pride that they can't be wrong, and this is one of their many downfalls. For something is nocking at their door, but they are too bizzy mocking various forms of christianity to care. They seemed more worried about the wrongs that some christians have commited in the past than looking at the real problem in the near future.

JNORM888
Very well said.

Antiochian OC N.A.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 02:46:41 PM »

I agree.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »

Modern Germany is nothing more than an Atheistic republic........that will soon die.

Been in Germany a number of times. Really like the country. God willing, somehow the situation will be resolved with much better outcome.

Strongly agree with everything else.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: