OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 03:23:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "and the Son" in the GREEK Creed?  (Read 825 times) Average Rating: 0
nonchal

« on: November 02, 2006, 10:11:47 PM »

Did the Latins, apart from a few isolated and unofficial instances, ever attempt to force the Greeks to insert "and the Son" into the Creed? I know that for the past several centuries at least the Latins have not allowed the addition either in the Greek rites or in the Greek text when sung in the Latin rite because it would be heretical. (The Greek word used for "procession" in the Creed is not equivalent to the Latin word. It denotes ultimate origin.) But I wonder whether this was the case from 1000 to 1300 for instance.

nonchal
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 10:18:52 PM »

Yes; in the 13th-14th century in Crete, when the Venetians took the island as a colony (this among other papal orders on how to run the native Greeks' church as another rite under local Latin bishops imposed there).

This model became the model for the Council of Florence which was the model for the thing-I-can't-name-but-it starts-with-"U".
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:20:14 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: