OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 03:05:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deacon Ordination of Amdetsion October 29, 2006  (Read 2995 times) Average Rating: 0
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« on: October 30, 2006, 10:39:06 PM »

Greetings in the name of Christ

I wanted to let the forum know that I was Ordained Deacon Amde Tsion last Sunday Oct. 29, 2006 in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church through the blesssing of God.

Please pray for me and the work that I must do.

Thank you

Deacon Amdestion

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 01:51:24 AM »

Congratulations!  May God bless your work.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 08:34:10 AM »

Well done!

Worthy!

Although my Greek Orthodox parishes are very welcoming of African-Americans and ethnicity is generally looked down upon in the Church, I hold great hope for the Ethiopian Church to reach many in the USA.

Wishes for the success of your ministry.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:52:31 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 12:13:48 AM »

Αριστοκλής

Thanks for your support.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying about ethnicity and African-Americans and the Greek Church.

Would you be surprised to find that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church was established in the USA by African-Americans not Ethiopian nationals?

In 1928 an African-American Baptist minister wrote to the Ethiopian Church via the Arch bishop of Jerusalem requesting the Ethiopain Church be sent to administer and mission to the African-Americans in the USA. After many years of turmoil with world matters including WW2 The Church finally arrived with bishops and priests in 1952. The Church was formerly established in 1957. At this time thier were little to no Ethiopian nationals in America. The Church was strictly a mission to the African-Americans. The First property purchased for the Ethiopian Church was in Brooklyn NY which was accomplished without ANY Ethiopian nationals other than the Ethiopian Clergymen.

Today there are tens of thousands of Ethiopians in the USA and many parishes to serve them. The Church still serves the African-American community and has branched out to all others in the USA who want to except Christ and worship in the Holy Orthodox Church through the spectacles of Ethiopia. We have many African-American Deacons and Priests today. We now have one Ethiopian Orthodox Deacon in Florida who is a white American. We also have a monk Priest in the mid-west who is also a white American.

We are not a culture club of "Ethiopians" only.

We are following the true mission to preach and teach the Gosple of Christ to all people.

We do have some parishes in the USA that are very self contained. This can only last but so long.

W are in need of doing much more in this area today.

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 12:57:47 AM »

Axios!
Congratulations, Fr. Amdetsion! Best wishes! Many years of awesome service for the glory of Christ!
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:49:42 AM »

AXIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    MANY YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 05:07:20 AM »

AXIOS!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »

COngrqtulations and blessings be upon you and those you serve!

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »

Deacon Amdestion,
Thanks for the insights.

As to Greek Orthodox comment, we are more welcoming than one would guess from reading Internet forums, but I think the Church of Ethiopia would be a 'natural'.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Haile

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 03:57:28 PM »

Congratualtions Amdetsion, good job! And wish you the best of luck in that endeavor.

The Arc of the Covenant Axum, Ethiopia
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 04:28:56 PM »

I appreciate all the blessings and prayers.

I am approaching one month and have already many trials that I am facing.

Once kind faces are now frowning faces.

Please continue to pray for me.

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 01:38:10 AM »

Fr. Amde Tsion,
May God help you to overcome all challenges. May God keep any troubles away from you.
Lord, have mercy.
(I wish I knew how to say the latter sentence in Ethiopian!)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 01:40:30 AM by Starlight » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 02:23:19 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Lord have Mercy" in Amharic/Ge'ez is still "Kyrie eleison"??

Beseme Ab, Wowold, Womanfes kiddus, Ahadu amlak, amen.
Rastaman

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 06:52:19 PM »

Starlight / Rastaman

And all my brothers and sisters here in the Orthodox Forum; thanks again and again for keeping me in your prayers.

May we continue to pray for each other that in these times of liberalism which has removed the walls of spiritual holy descretion and understanding in the world allowing instead the indescriminate and obscene to exist in its many forms as the new code of conduct. An age where we have after thousands of years has lost the meaning of Marriage, faith, cleanliness....freedom.

Lord pity us, Lord spare us, Lord have mercy on us +++

(Egzio mahakeneh, Egzi-o mahareneh, Egzi-o tasahaleneh +++)

The above is the Ethiopic liturgical language Geez. (pronounced with both e's short and seperated Ge-ez)

In The Ethiopian Liturgy we have two areas where we do say "Kyrie eleison" (1) time
which is during the people response during the prayer of thanks giving and (32) times during the deacon litany which proceeds just after the prayer of absolution. So we use it liturgically (33) times.

Also during the 57 day lent (Hudade in Ethiopic) "Kyrie eleison" is said innumerable times especially during Holy week which it is said many hundreds of times. The phrase lives in the liturgical language Geez primarily and thus is very much a prayer.

It is very rare if ever that you will hear Ethiopian Orthodox Christians use any form of "Lord have mercy" unless it is in true prayer. It is a very serious phrase reserved for private or public Liturgical prayer. We conjugate Amharic in ways to imply serious concern for and to ask Gods grace over matters that we may impart during day to day discussions and experiences. Amaharic is a colloqial language of Ethiopia which is in wide use which has its roots in the very ancient Geez or Ethiopic.

"Kyrie eleison"...this seemingly Grecco / Hebraic phrase seems to be the Universal Orthodox standard for Lord have mercy on us. (On Us) If you want to say simply "Lord have mercy" than "Kyrie eleis".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Liturgical Ethiopic: Lord have mercy (Egzi-o tasahal)
                             Lord have mercy on us (Egzi-o tasahaleneh)

Pronunciation: All O's are very round and full, all E's are very short, all A's are short, H is like the H in the word 'Hush". Sort of like the Arabic H without closing the back of your throat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 06:57:07 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 10:14:31 PM »

Fr. Amde Tsion,
Thank you very much for your information and for your brilliant observations and descriptions. I appreciate that. It is excellent that so dedicated and erudite people as you, recieve ordination. May God always help you in everything. Thank you very much!!!
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 09:04:27 PM »

Starlight

Thank you...

Your words are encouragement for me.

I am a sinner never-the-less.

I depend on the mercy of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as I am sure you do as well.

"Give God the Glory".

Lets us continue to pray for each other and our one Holy Universal and Apostolic Church Orthodox in the Lord.

Peace be with you and your family.

Fr. Dn. AmdeTsion

Tags: Ordination deacons Ethiopian Orthodox Church Oriental Orthodox deacons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: