OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 09:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slava  (Read 8059 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: October 29, 2006, 08:53:27 PM »

I have noticed that there are many Serbian (or closely affiliated) people on this forum. 

I was wondering who celebrates which Slava.  THANKS!! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 08:55:25 PM »

Part of the reason I asked is because mine is comming up on the 31st. 

St. Luke the Evangelist. 

I've also noticed that there are a lot of different slava's but most people fall into these:

St. Nicholas (like all of Serbia... Grin)

St. George

St. Paraskeva

Then after that it gets crazy.  I have also met people who have a feast day as their slava, like some people celebrated "Pokrov Presvjate Bogorodice" as their Slava (Protection of the Theotokos). 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 09:16:58 PM »

Sv Arandjel Mihailo / St Archangel Michael...November 21st, mines pretty popular  Grin

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:43:34 PM »

Mine is St. Sava, January 27 (n.s.)

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 11:44:57 PM »

Bridgidsboy...

Were you kidding?  What does "(n.s.)" mean? 

St. Sava is celebrated by the entire Serbian Orthodox Church, and all Serbian Orthodox Christians (and he's even in the Greek Synaxarion for that day). 

So, do you have a personal Slava? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 11:49:06 PM »

Part of the reason I asked is because mine is comming up on the 31st. 

How I wish I could help you celebrate!

Please have a toast to remember me by on your Slava, file mou!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 11:54:20 PM »

I'll toast you on the hour every hour!  (seriously... Grin Grin

I'm really gona miss you Father...

There's gona be a lot of people this year, which i'm really excited about.  And my mom sent food...which is always exciting.. Wink

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 12:07:56 AM »

No, I certianly am not kidding. When I converted in 1989, the priest gave me this feast as my personal Slava. (I had a personal love for him ever since I learned of him in my childhood) I have kept it ever since.

My notation of n.s. (new style) was to alert readers that I was refering to the new calendar date to avoid confusion about the date.

Bridgidsboy...

Were you kidding?  What does "(n.s.)" mean? 

St. Sava is celebrated by the entire Serbian Orthodox Church, and all Serbian Orthodox Christians (and he's even in the Greek Synaxarion for that day). 

So, do you have a personal Slava? 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 12:09:21 AM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 12:09:05 AM »

No, I certianly am not kidding. When I converted in 1989, the priest gave me this feast as my personal Slava. (I had a personal love for him ever since I learned of him in my childhood) I have kept it ever since.

My notation of n.s. (new style was to alert readers that I was refering to the new calendar date to avoid confusion for non-old calendar types.

I think its safe to say, your slava is the most celebrated one within the Serbian Orthodox Church, I bet not much people come over! Wink

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Brigidsboy
Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 12:11:40 AM »

I have had at least 50 guests every year. The record was 105 in the year 1991. The church and school observances are always held on the weekend. I always celebrate on the day itself.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 12:12:07 AM by Brigidsboy » Logged

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 08:45:19 AM »

Actually, I kind of like that idea.  After everyone celebrates in church together they can all go to YOUR house and celebrate YOUR slava. 

Its got some really interesting implications. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 12:33:06 PM »

I'll toast you on the hour every hour!  (seriously... Grin Grin

I'm really gona miss you Father...

There's gona be a lot of people this year, which i'm really excited about.  And my mom sent food...which is always exciting.. Wink

Well, I drank a couple shots of Shlivolitz yesterday in your honor. Smiley  Actually, it was in the (smaller) hall of St. John the Baptist in San Fran after our concert yesterday.  We were served Shlivo and these fried dough thingy's (can't remember the name) that had sugar on the top and raisins and some of ther lighter colored dried fruit in them.  Rather tasty.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 12:44:50 PM »

these fried dough thingy's (can't remember the name) that had sugar on the top and raisins and some of ther lighter colored dried fruit in them.  Rather tasty.
Krofne???  Tigance???

My family celebrates Sveti Nikola (December 19).

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 01:58:32 PM »

Sveti Jovan - Janaury 20. We are Krajina Serbs

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 02:34:06 PM »

All four of my grandparents were Krajina Serbs. Both sides celebrate Saint George on May 7.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »

Krofne???  Tigance???

My family celebrates Sveti Nikola (December 19).

Can you prove pics?  Maybe the first one.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »

I don't think we can post pics right now.  There is a glitch in the matrix.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 01:10:14 AM »

http://solair.eunet.yu/~miljkovi/krofne.html

The link is in Serbian, but it has a good picture.  Hope it helps! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 06:49:20 AM »

Sveti Dimitrija. Nisam sto posto siguran, ali sto se secam, datum je novembar 7. ili 14 Novembar?. Svedno, nismo mi bas pobozni, tako da ne slavimo svake godine. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 06:51:53 AM by prayingserb » Logged
Esteban

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 10:32:57 AM »

Сретна Слава, serb1389!

My Krsna Slava is St Thekla (Sep. 24/Oct. 7).

"This life has been given to you for repentance. Do not waste it in vain pursuits."

--St Isaac the Syrian
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 12:55:33 PM »

Sveti Dimitrija. Nisam sto posto siguran, ali sto se secam, datum je novembar 7. ili 14 Novembar?. Svedno, nismo mi bas pobozni, tako da ne slavimo svake godine. Embarrassed

Brate,

Novembar 8 za vasa Krsna Slava.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »

http://solair.eunet.yu/~miljkovi/krofne.html

The link is in Serbian, but it has a good picture.  Hope it helps! 

Maybe not.  Those, being on a rack, look baked and I don't see any fruit sticking out.  These things weren't shaped that well (random blob-like shapes) and were fried.  Maybe it was just personal cooking differences though.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 01:41:15 PM »

How about this Elisha? http://kuvar.8m.com/Krofne%20s%20ranflom.jpg

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
prayingserb

ЧУВА БОГ СРБИНА СВОГ

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 04:50:54 AM »

Brate,

Novembar 8 za vasa Krsna Slava.

Hvala!
da niste mi dali znanje, slavio bi jedan dan ranije! lol. Daj boze da ove godine slavimo kao sto bi trebali svake godine.
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 10:09:41 AM »

Saint Elijah- August 2nd. 
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 10:51:57 AM »

I know there are several good articles about Slava online and I was just reading one that I thought was good.  I'll post it below.

The word slava  means celebration. This Serbian Orthodox observance is called Krsna Slava and is similar to (Krsno Ime - Name Day) in other Orthodox Christian traditions.

Christian missionaries not only converted Serbs to Christianity; but "Christianized" the spiritual customs they practiced as well. In this way the missionaries satisfied the peoples' psychological as well as spiritual needs. Because of this and other proven benefits of the Slava among Serbs, the people yet sing today, Niko Nema Sto Srbin Imade!

While most people observe the anniversary of their birth, the Serbs observe the Slava. In a spiritual sense the Slava stands above a chronological birthday. In fact, history and tradition tell us that the Slava came into existence among the Serbs with their acceptance of Christianity. Centuries ago, when a Serbian family accepted Christianity the Saint commemorated by the Church on that day became the family's patron Saint; that day each year then became a special observance. It was the birthday of their faith in Christ, perpetuated from one generation to the next through the male members of the family.

Among the most common Saints' names for the Slava one finds the names of St. Nicholas the Wonder-worker, St. George the Great Martyr, St. John the Baptist and Forerunner, St. Archangel Michael, Sv. Sava the First Serbian Archbishop, Sv.Petka and many others.

There is a saying among Serbs, Ko Slavu slavi tome Slava mu i pomaze! In translation this means, Whoever celebrates the Slava, him the Slava helps! Rightly so, for according to the teaching of the Church, the Church is the communion of all the Saints, in which Christ abides. There is strong evidence that the intercession of the Saints is effective. Accordingly, St. Paul advises us saying, "Give thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the Saints in light" (Col. 1:12).

Besides individuals and families, one finds many cultural and social organizations, cities, and even military units observing Slava. Often when two Serbs who do not know each other meet, one way of introduction is to ask about the family's Slava. The Slava has played an important role in the life of the Serbian people throughout its history. Situated at the meeting point between two important cultures, namely the Byzantine East and the Latin West remaining distinct from them both in addition to being subjugated into slavery by the Moslem Turks for over five centuries, the Serbs associated the Slava with survival and the preservation of their ethnic identity. Perhaps it is for that reason we hear the song: Niko Nema Sto Srbin Imade!

Indeed the Slava is a day of great rejoicing. Relatives, kamovi, and friends begin arriving the day before the Slava and many remain until the following day. An important aspect of the celebration is the religious observance of the patron Saint. In a Serbian Orthodox home one finds the icon of the patron Saint of the family illuminated by the flicker of a votive light. This in a sense is a place of prayer for the family. A Slava candle is lighted on that special day and the Slavski Kolac (Slave Cake) is presented for prayers of blessing, along with a glass of wine. Each of these items has symbolic meaning: the candle represents the light of life in God.

The bread symbolizes Christ our God, who said, "I am the living bread which came down from heaven" John 6:51); finally, there is a dish of boiled wheat (koljivo), which is blessed and served in memory of deceased family members. The candle is never blown out but is extinguished with wine. The same glass is then handed around the family circle and each member takes a sip of it, thereby symbolizing the perpetuity of the Slava. The scent of the incense binds together the emotions of all present on this unique and festive occasion.

While the festive meal is in progress, the host does not sit but remains available in service to all. He serves his Krsno Ime, then many beautiful and  well-wishing toasts  (Zdravice)  are offered
Slavski Kolac for the health and prosperity of the household. Music is provided by a one-stringed instrument called the Gusle, accompanied by the voice of the Guslar. The favorite subjects of these ballads are drawn from the rich heroic history of the Serbs.

The Slava has remained as one of the proven values and customs of the Serbian people. It may be said that the Slava played an important role in Serbian history, helping them to withstand centuries of religious proselytism and persecution from the Latin West, as well as slavery and brutality from the Islamic East. The spiritual, social, and preservational role of the Slava remains undiminished for the Serbian people to this day.

http://www.st-george-church.org/English/Krsna_Slava.htm

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 12:08:47 PM »

Nope!  Try again!  It was probably not one of the two things you mentioned.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: