OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 08:28:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does everyone look like?  (Read 187579 times) Average Rating: 5
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1305 on: December 28, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »

No matter the tree or its size, one can immediately tell whether someone is an American or an European in a photo still after all these years!

How?
Occasionally I agree with orthonorm and this is one of those times. I can't explain exactly how, but there is a difference - maybe it's the style of clothing, maybe posture, maybe less of a mixture of ethnicities* - just one of those things that you know but find hard to explain. Is it always accurate? Certainly not, but often enough.

*I know that American, Canadian, etc. can be named as particular ethnicities as well but they have formed as a result of the mixing of (mostly) European ethnic backgrounds. Compare the stereotypical Norwegian, Russian, and Spaniard and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Seconded.  Likewise, can't explain it.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1306 on: December 28, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »

americans are fatter and have their teeth straightened and smile a lot and are very polite?

(i spent nearly a week in america, so must be some kind of an expert after that!)
 Wink
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1307 on: December 28, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »

americans are fatter and have their teeth straightened and smile a lot and are very polite?

(i spent nearly a week in america, so must be some kind of an expert after that!)
 Wink

My brother was really thin. And no weakling, either, as I learned because he would beat the daylights out of me about every 20 minutes. He liked to eat spinach, and it really did make him strong. Popeye was right!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1308 on: December 28, 2012, 06:37:52 PM »

and have their teeth straightened and smile a lot and are very polite?

That's what all British persons would say when they compare any country to their own  Wink

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #1309 on: December 28, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »

Occasionally I agree with orthonorm and this is one of those times. I can't explain exactly how, but there is a difference - maybe it's the style of clothing, maybe posture, maybe less of a mixture of ethnicities* - just one of those things that you know but find hard to explain. Is it always accurate? Certainly not, but often enough.

*I know that American, Canadian, etc. can be named as particular ethnicities as well but they have formed as a result of the mixing of (mostly) European ethnic backgrounds. Compare the stereotypical Norwegian, Russian, and Spaniard and you'll see what I'm talking about.

There is some truth in this, the same as what mabsoota has claimed (but maybe her thesis is a bit more stereotyped Wink). However, in my case, this argument about mixture of ethnicities does not work, as I am such mixture - Serbian, Montenegrin and Polish for sure, probably some Ukrainian and/or Belarussian too. But, generally, people claim I look as typical Serbian, in Poland many people at once notice I'm not Polish (or "pure" Polish)

If I comment on another picture of yours I will sound like a sycophant. 
Hm? Really?  Embarrassed Which picture?

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1310 on: December 28, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »

If I comment on another picture of yours I will sound like a sycophant. 
Hm? Really?  Embarrassed Which picture?

You posted a picture back in October.  I said:

Bump
The second picture is from my Slava of st. Luke (I've celebrated it first time as full member of the Orthodox Church, so it's really important) and the first one is just my portrait I use on facebook
Dang. Shocked
Ja.  Dominika is a very pretty young lady.

I doubted that it was possible for you to look prettier, but you managed to do so in your Christmas picture.

Now I need ZZ and Hiwot to post pictures so I can compliment them too and it doesn't look like I'm hitting on any one particular OC.net beauty.

Wink
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1311 on: December 28, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »

No matter the tree or its size, one can immediately tell whether someone is an American or an European in a photo still after all these years!

How?

Seconded.  Likewise, can't explain it.

It's simple.

The smile.

Americans smile immediately on cue for "candids" (not me). And Northern and Central and Eastern Europeans simply do not for the most part. (Americans didn't when photography first came around.)

This and a few other things of course. But that is a cultural difference that has held up in spite of the Americanized onslaught of social media.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:57:04 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1312 on: December 28, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »

Wink

Drives me crazy and I hate. It was a relief living in Europe to not have to put up with it.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1313 on: December 28, 2012, 11:52:57 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, I'm generally grumpy looking  Grin

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1314 on: December 29, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »

Maybe this is why I always get the comment "You aren't white/American are you?" When I wear a headcovering of some sort, people often don't think I even speak English. Roll Eyes I smile a lot around my kids because they are so amusing, otherwise my natural expression isn't a smile. (Although, who really does smile naturally 24/7?)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:23:25 AM by Quinault » Logged
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #1315 on: December 29, 2012, 01:16:32 AM »

Wink
Prepare to be disappointed by the wrath of skinny American jerk who refuses to smile because he refuses to brush his teeth

No applause necessary

EDIT:how did I get upside down???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:17:13 AM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1316 on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:04 AM »

u don't look too skinny.
 Wink
as for cyrillic, he he, it's true dutch people are much more polite than british.
they are nearly like americans!
(who really do smile too much, i agree!)
the other europeans, though are not polite.
i remember one memorable journey on tarom (romanian air) where my husband asked for milk in his coffee.
the steward replied 'what?!'
he said 'do you have milk?'
the steward replied 'no!'
it was like: of course they didn't have milk. what idiot would drink milk in their coffee?!

as for me, i am skinny and have really crooked teeth, but i do smile a bit much.
especially in church!
 Wink
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #1317 on: December 29, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »

I doubted that it was possible for you to look prettier, but you managed to do so in your Christmas picture.

Now I need ZZ and Hiwot to post pictures so I can compliment them too and it doesn't look like I'm hitting on any one particular OC.net beauty.

Wink

Embarrassed Thank you for so nice words! Smiley

Haha so they indeed should post some pictures Wink

Prepare to be disappointed by the wrath of skinny American jerk who refuses to smile because he refuses to brush his teeth

No applause necessary

EDIT:how did I get upside down???

Exceptions make the rule Wink So interesting how you've manged to post it upside down

Well, actually when I visited USA it was so nice that everybody was asking "how are you" with smile. But as with everything, too much it's not a good thing. Smile should be natural, show our true emotions. However, people (what's interesting to note, especially priests), say that I smile too rarely (and most time look so serious) and that's also not good. I can imagine, how I would be perceived, if I lived in USA.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1318 on: December 29, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »

Wink

Drives me crazy and I hate. It was a relief living in Europe to not have to put up with it.

The only reason to smile is if you have found someone to blame.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1319 on: December 29, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »

I don't know if you'll be able to see this or not but it's a photo of (left to right) myself, my husband, and a friend, at the Carpatho-Rusyn Cultural Center in Munhall, PA, taken this past October.

Yes, my husband is sitting in the bishop's chair!  Shocked

Don't worry, it's not a church that's in use any more, it's basically a historical museum. But I did have to resist the temptation to sit in the chair myself! Grin

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:25:10 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1320 on: December 29, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »

Looks very Orthodox! (ha, j/k)  Smiley 

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1321 on: January 07, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »

Just before the camera lens cracked.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1322 on: January 07, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »

Woah nice beard!

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1323 on: January 07, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »

How?

It's simple.

The smile.

Americans smile immediately on cue for "candids" (not me). And Northern and Central and Eastern Europeans simply do not for the most part. (Americans didn't when photography first came around.)

This and a few other things of course. But that is a cultural difference that has held up in spite of the Americanized onslaught of social media.

That might be part of the reason why you look like you should be British.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
WPM
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Pray for us.
Archon

« Reply #1324 on: January 07, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »

Tsar'ish 290 lbs beard caucasian blue eyes
converted viking

« Reply #1325 on: January 07, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »

Wink

Come on now.  Smile at the doggy.   Grin

Viking
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1326 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:54 AM »

Tsar'ish 290 lbs beard caucasian blue eyes

Man, I wish that I could get back down to 290 lbs!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1327 on: January 08, 2013, 02:02:01 AM »

Woah nice beard!

Indeed!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1328 on: January 08, 2013, 02:03:09 AM »

Come on now.  Smile at the doggy.   Grin

Nice  Smiley

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1329 on: January 08, 2013, 02:43:04 AM »

Punch and Gebre, you both have inspired me to consider growing a beard.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
converted viking

« Reply #1330 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »

Come on now.  Smile at the doggy.   Grin

Nice  Smiley

The pup is a 6 week old Cane Carso named Napoleon that belongs to a co worker.  My wife thinks the pup looks better than me.  Grin

Viking
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:32:04 AM by converted viking » Logged
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1331 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1332 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »

Raising American vs. European look debate you do not look American to me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:56:05 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1333 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »

How?

It's simple.

The smile.

Wait a minute.  I distinctly remember you smiling in the picture of you that you posted in here many moons ago.

HMMMM>?!?!?!?!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #1334 on: January 08, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »

KBN1 - very nice picture,, what you were yelling/doing while it was been taking?

If you hadn't posted your jurisdiction, I wouldn't know from which continent you are, regarding to what Michal has written.

Maybe in another picture of you smiling would indicate you're an American.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1335 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »

Raising American vs. European look debate you do not look American to me.

What does "American" look like?  Or "European" for that matter.

Maybe this helps:

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1336 on: January 08, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »

House looks European too.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1337 on: January 08, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »

How?

It's simple.

The smile.

Wait a minute.  I distinctly remember you smiling in the picture of you that you posted in here many moons ago.

HMMMM>?!?!?!?!

A generous smirk to make my grandmother happy.

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1338 on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »

Probably because he IS European.

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1339 on: January 08, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »

An American Hipster.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1340 on: January 08, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »

I'm good at it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:42:21 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #1341 on: January 08, 2013, 03:44:10 PM »

House is definitely American. Now Hugh Laurie on the other hand... Wink
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1342 on: January 08, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

House is definitely American. Now Hugh Laurie on the other hand... Wink

Good point!

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1343 on: January 08, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »

You have no idea what a hipster is if you think this is a hipster.  You THINK you know what a hipster is, but you would be wrong.  Those who self-identify as "hipster" would look at this and say, 'square'.

Then they would look at your picture and emulate it.  If anyone in this thread looks like a hipster, it's you.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1344 on: January 08, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »

You have no idea what a hipster is if you think this is a hipster.  You THINK you know what a hipster is, but you would be wrong.  Those who self-identify as "hipster" would look at this and say, 'square'.

Then they would look at your picture and emulate it.  If anyone in this thread looks like a hipster, it's you.

It takes a hipster to hate a hipster.  Stupid tryhards. 
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1345 on: January 08, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »

Really?  If they thought that I looked like a hipster, it would only show that they were retarded.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #1346 on: January 09, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:29:16 PM by augustin717 » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1347 on: January 09, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »

Me after Theophany the other day. Should I try to grow a beard?

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1348 on: January 10, 2013, 05:44:40 AM »

Is that your doomsday bunker?  police
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1349 on: January 10, 2013, 06:29:20 AM »

Me after Theophany the other day. Should I try to grow a beard?
Oh my...  Shocked

James, you look exactly like a guy I know.

Yes, for the sake of my sanity, grow a beard.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tags: pictures photos Chuck Norris 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: