Author Topic: What does everyone look like?  (Read 260575 times)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
Re: What does everyone look like?
« Reply #1305 on: December 28, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »
No matter the tree or its size, one can immediately tell whether someone is an American or an European in a photo still after all these years!

How?
Occasionally I agree with orthonorm and this is one of those times. I can't explain exactly how, but there is a difference - maybe it's the style of clothing, maybe posture, maybe less of a mixture of ethnicities* - just one of those things that you know but find hard to explain. Is it always accurate? Certainly not, but often enough.

*I know that American, Canadian, etc. can be named as particular ethnicities as well but they have formed as a result of the mixing of (mostly) European ethnic backgrounds. Compare the stereotypical Norwegian, Russian, and Spaniard and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Seconded.  Likewise, can't explain it.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #1306 on: December 28, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
americans are fatter and have their teeth straightened and smile a lot and are very polite?

(i spent nearly a week in america, so must be some kind of an expert after that!)
 ;)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #1307 on: December 28, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »
americans are fatter and have their teeth straightened and smile a lot and are very polite?

(i spent nearly a week in america, so must be some kind of an expert after that!)
 ;)

My brother was really thin. And no weakling, either, as I learned because he would beat the daylights out of me about every 20 minutes. He liked to eat spinach, and it really did make him strong. Popeye was right!
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est edere orbem universum
« Reply #1308 on: December 28, 2012, 06:37:52 PM »
and have their teeth straightened and smile a lot and are very polite?

That's what all British persons would say when they compare any country to their own  ;)
"April is the cruellest month, breeding
lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
memory and desire, stirring
dull roots with spring rain."
-T.S. Eliot

Offline Dominika

• Serbian/Polish
  • OC.net guru
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
« Reply #1309 on: December 28, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
Occasionally I agree with orthonorm and this is one of those times. I can't explain exactly how, but there is a difference - maybe it's the style of clothing, maybe posture, maybe less of a mixture of ethnicities* - just one of those things that you know but find hard to explain. Is it always accurate? Certainly not, but often enough.

*I know that American, Canadian, etc. can be named as particular ethnicities as well but they have formed as a result of the mixing of (mostly) European ethnic backgrounds. Compare the stereotypical Norwegian, Russian, and Spaniard and you'll see what I'm talking about.

There is some truth in this, the same as what mabsoota has claimed (but maybe her thesis is a bit more stereotyped ;)). However, in my case, this argument about mixture of ethnicities does not work, as I am such mixture - Serbian, Montenegrin and Polish for sure, probably some Ukrainian and/or Belarussian too. But, generally, people claim I look as typical Serbian, in Poland many people at once notice I'm not Polish (or "pure" Polish)

If I comment on another picture of yours I will sound like a sycophant. 
Hm? Really?  :-[ Which picture?
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #1310 on: December 28, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »
If I comment on another picture of yours I will sound like a sycophant. 
Hm? Really?  :-[ Which picture?

You posted a picture back in October.  I said:

Bump
The second picture is from my Slava of st. Luke (I've celebrated it first time as full member of the Orthodox Church, so it's really important) and the first one is just my portrait I use on facebook
Dang. :o
Ja.  Dominika is a very pretty young lady.

I doubted that it was possible for you to look prettier, but you managed to do so in your Christmas picture.

Now I need ZZ and Hiwot to post pictures so I can compliment them too and it doesn't look like I'm hitting on any one particular OC.net beauty.

;)
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1311 on: December 28, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »
No matter the tree or its size, one can immediately tell whether someone is an American or an European in a photo still after all these years!

How?

Seconded.  Likewise, can't explain it.

It's simple.

The smile.

Americans smile immediately on cue for "candids" (not me). And Northern and Central and Eastern Europeans simply do not for the most part. (Americans didn't when photography first came around.)

This and a few other things of course. But that is a cultural difference that has held up in spite of the Americanized onslaught of social media.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:57:04 PM by orthonorm »
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1312 on: December 28, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »

;)

Drives me crazy and I hate. It was a relief living in Europe to not have to put up with it.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #1313 on: December 28, 2012, 11:52:57 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I'm generally grumpy looking  ;D
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #1314 on: December 29, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »
Maybe this is why I always get the comment "You aren't white/American are you?" When I wear a headcovering of some sort, people often don't think I even speak English. ::) I smile a lot around my kids because they are so amusing, otherwise my natural expression isn't a smile. (Although, who really does smile naturally 24/7?)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:23:25 AM by Quinault »

Offline pmpn8rGPT

• Grammar Nazi in three languages.
  • OC.net guru
  • Proof that Russia won the Space Race.
« Reply #1315 on: December 29, 2012, 01:16:32 AM »

;)
Prepare to be disappointed by the wrath of skinny American jerk who refuses to smile because he refuses to brush his teeth

No applause necessary

EDIT:how did I get upside down???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:17:13 AM by pmpn8rGPT »
"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #1316 on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:04 AM »
u don't look too skinny.
 ;)
as for cyrillic, he he, it's true dutch people are much more polite than british.
they are nearly like americans!
(who really do smile too much, i agree!)
the other europeans, though are not polite.
i remember one memorable journey on tarom (romanian air) where my husband asked for milk in his coffee.
the steward replied 'what?!'
he said 'do you have milk?'
the steward replied 'no!'
it was like: of course they didn't have milk. what idiot would drink milk in their coffee?!

as for me, i am skinny and have really crooked teeth, but i do smile a bit much.
especially in church!
 ;)

Offline Dominika

• Serbian/Polish
  • OC.net guru
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1317 on: December 29, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »

I doubted that it was possible for you to look prettier, but you managed to do so in your Christmas picture.

Now I need ZZ and Hiwot to post pictures so I can compliment them too and it doesn't look like I'm hitting on any one particular OC.net beauty.

;)

:-[ Thank you for so nice words! :)

Haha so they indeed should post some pictures ;)

Prepare to be disappointed by the wrath of skinny American jerk who refuses to smile because he refuses to brush his teeth

No applause necessary

EDIT:how did I get upside down???

Exceptions make the rule ;) So interesting how you've manged to post it upside down

Well, actually when I visited USA it was so nice that everybody was asking "how are you" with smile. But as with everything, too much it's not a good thing. Smile should be natural, show our true emotions. However, people (what's interesting to note, especially priests), say that I smile too rarely (and most time look so serious) and that's also not good. I can imagine, how I would be perceived, if I lived in USA.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1318 on: December 29, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »

;)

Drives me crazy and I hate. It was a relief living in Europe to not have to put up with it.

The only reason to smile is if you have found someone to blame.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #1319 on: December 29, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »
I don't know if you'll be able to see this or not but it's a photo of (left to right) myself, my husband, and a friend, at the Carpatho-Rusyn Cultural Center in Munhall, PA, taken this past October.

Yes, my husband is sitting in the bishop's chair!  :o

Don't worry, it's not a church that's in use any more, it's basically a historical museum. But I did have to resist the temptation to sit in the chair myself! ;D

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:25:10 PM by theistgal »
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #1320 on: December 29, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
Looks very Orthodox! (ha, j/k)  :) 
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1321 on: January 07, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »
Just before the camera lens cracked.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #1322 on: January 07, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Woah nice beard!
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
« Reply #1323 on: January 07, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »

How?

It's simple.

The smile.

Americans smile immediately on cue for "candids" (not me). And Northern and Central and Eastern Europeans simply do not for the most part. (Americans didn't when photography first came around.)

This and a few other things of course. But that is a cultural difference that has held up in spite of the Americanized onslaught of social media.

That might be part of the reason why you look like you should be British.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #1324 on: January 07, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »
Tsar'ish 290 lbs beard caucasian blue eyes

Offline converted viking

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #1325 on: January 07, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »

;)

Come on now.  Smile at the doggy.   ;D

Viking

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1326 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:54 AM »
Tsar'ish 290 lbs beard caucasian blue eyes

Man, I wish that I could get back down to 290 lbs!

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #1327 on: January 08, 2013, 02:02:01 AM »
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #1328 on: January 08, 2013, 02:03:09 AM »

Come on now.  Smile at the doggy.   ;D

Nice  :)

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1329 on: January 08, 2013, 02:43:04 AM »
Punch and Gebre, you both have inspired me to consider growing a beard.

Offline converted viking

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #1330 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »

Come on now.  Smile at the doggy.   ;D

Nice  :)

The pup is a 6 week old Cane Carso named Napoleon that belongs to a co worker.  My wife thinks the pup looks better than me.  ;D

Viking
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:32:04 AM by converted viking »

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #1331 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #1332 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »

Raising American vs. European look debate you do not look American to me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:56:05 AM by Michał Kalina »

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #1333 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »

How?

It's simple.

The smile.

Wait a minute.  I distinctly remember you smiling in the picture of you that you posted in here many moons ago.

HMMMM>?!?!?!?!
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Dominika

• Serbian/Polish
  • OC.net guru
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1334 on: January 08, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »
KBN1 - very nice picture,, what you were yelling/doing while it was been taking?

If you hadn't posted your jurisdiction, I wouldn't know from which continent you are, regarding to what Michal has written.

Maybe in another picture of you smiling would indicate you're an American.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
« Reply #1335 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »

Raising American vs. European look debate you do not look American to me.

What does "American" look like?  Or "European" for that matter.

Maybe this helps:
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1336 on: January 08, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
House looks European too.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1337 on: January 08, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »

How?

It's simple.

The smile.

Wait a minute.  I distinctly remember you smiling in the picture of you that you posted in here many moons ago.

HMMMM>?!?!?!?!

A generous smirk to make my grandmother happy.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1338 on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »

Probably because he IS European.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1339 on: January 08, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1340 on: January 08, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:42:21 PM by Michał Kalina »

Offline sheenj

• OC.net guru
  • St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Church
« Reply #1341 on: January 08, 2013, 03:44:10 PM »

House is definitely American. Now Hugh Laurie on the other hand... ;)

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1342 on: January 08, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

House is definitely American. Now Hugh Laurie on the other hand... ;)

Good point!

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #1343 on: January 08, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »

An American Hipster.

You have no idea what a hipster is if you think this is a hipster.  You THINK you know what a hipster is, but you would be wrong.  Those who self-identify as "hipster" would look at this and say, 'square'.

Then they would look at your picture and emulate it.  If anyone in this thread looks like a hipster, it's you.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #1344 on: January 08, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »

An American Hipster.

You have no idea what a hipster is if you think this is a hipster.  You THINK you know what a hipster is, but you would be wrong.  Those who self-identify as "hipster" would look at this and say, 'square'.

Then they would look at your picture and emulate it.  If anyone in this thread looks like a hipster, it's you.

It takes a hipster to hate a hipster.  Stupid tryhards. 

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1345 on: January 08, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »

An American Hipster.

Really?  If they thought that I looked like a hipster, it would only show that they were retarded.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1346 on: January 09, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:29:16 PM by augustin717 »

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1347 on: January 09, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »

Me after Theophany the other day. Should I try to grow a beard?

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #1348 on: January 10, 2013, 05:44:40 AM »

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #1349 on: January 10, 2013, 06:29:20 AM »

Me after Theophany the other day. Should I try to grow a beard?
Oh my...  :o

James, you look exactly like a guy I know.

Yes, for the sake of my sanity, grow a beard.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite