OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:58:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does everyone look like?  (Read 198463 times) Average Rating: 5
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #765 on: April 16, 2012, 04:42:22 PM »

Recent one at work.

Not fancy, but not misleading.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #766 on: April 16, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »

I'll wait for some female advice before I decide. Many times what us men like is not what the women like.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #767 on: April 16, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »

Meh. I'd rather do what I like than wait for female advice (she's not the one who will have the beard, and besides we're supposed to like different things), but then I am a bit older than you...and single for going on two years...  Undecided

Dang, have I been doing wrong for the past 16 years or so? Nah...of course not; it's the women who are wrong. All of you. 51% of the world. Yes.

(Cue jokes: "No wonder you're swimming DE NILE!", etc.)

OK, I really just wanted to participate in this thread, but I don't have any pictures. I love Liza's St. Nicholas picture.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #768 on: April 16, 2012, 05:04:15 PM »

Any of you guys think I should grow a beard? I been considering it, but I was thinking a more stubble, short beard. Kind of like heavy 5 o'clock shadow. Something to look manly that the ladies will like.
You could try something light, like Celtic's wearing here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10042.msg647614.html#msg647614

Proverbs 22:7
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #769 on: April 16, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »

Any of you guys think I should grow a beard? I been considering it, but I was thinking a more stubble, short beard. Kind of like heavy 5 o'clock shadow. Something to look manly that the ladies will like.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10042.msg647614.html#msg647614

I agree, it would be nice Wink

So, I'm posting two my pictures
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:52:41 PM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #770 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:47 PM »

I agree, it would be nice Wink

So, I'm posting two my pictures

Very cool pictures!

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #771 on: April 16, 2012, 10:07:52 PM »

Recent one at work.

I think we could be brothers!  Wink

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #772 on: April 16, 2012, 10:10:35 PM »

I'll wait for some female advice before I decide. Many times what us men like is not what the women like.

Go for the beard swag. Any woman that finds it attractive is a keeper.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #773 on: April 16, 2012, 10:19:12 PM »

Recent one at work.

I think we could be brothers!  Wink

Selam
I actually thought about posting something to the effect of "Channeling my inner Gebre," but resisted.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:19:38 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #774 on: April 16, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »

Mind = blown.

For some reason it's always a shock to me when people aren't their avatar. I'm always like, "Whoa whoa whoa... you're not a tap-dancing cat?!"

For instance, until I stumbled across the Hyperdox Herman thread, I really thought Michal Kalina was Hyperdox Herman. Honestly, that's how I still picture him.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #775 on: April 17, 2012, 12:39:57 AM »

Mind = blown.
For some reason it's always a shock to me when people aren't their avatar. I'm always like, "Whoa whoa whoa... you're not a tap-dancing cat?!"
For instance, until I stumbled across the Hyperdox Herman thread, I really thought Michal Kalina was Hyperdox Herman. Honestly, that's how I still picture him.

I take it your avatar is an up-to-date picture of you then? Success in pulling off the retro thing without being hipstery.
 Smiley

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #776 on: April 17, 2012, 02:12:41 AM »

AM I HIP NOW?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #777 on: April 17, 2012, 02:19:15 AM »

Fancy phone, funky hat, retro tv show shirt, crazy glasses, mirror pic... you sir are grade A hipter Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #778 on: April 17, 2012, 02:30:07 AM »

Fancy phone, funky hat, retro tv show shirt, crazy glasses, mirror pic... you sir are grade A hipter Smiley

Glad to know.

Also, my family went to Boston when I turned 21. Part of the reason was because I wanted to have my first legal drink (though I had never had any before then) at Cheers, since it's my favorite TV show ever.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:31:43 AM by ironchapman » Logged

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #779 on: April 17, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »

Me in Brussels  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #780 on: April 17, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »

Don't forget the 'stache, too! Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #781 on: April 17, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »

Mind = blown.

I take it your avatar is an up-to-date picture of you then? Success in pulling off the retro thing without being hipstery.
 Smiley

Why, thank you!  Wink
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:15:10 AM by ZealousZeal » Logged

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #782 on: April 17, 2012, 06:37:53 PM »

Mind = blown.

How do you think I'd look with a beard?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #783 on: April 17, 2012, 07:22:33 PM »

Mostly Irish. Not Scots-Irish, Lord have mercy!  

What's wrong with the Scots-Irish (Ulster Scots)?  Wink

Surely that question deserves its own thread or sub-forum.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #784 on: April 17, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »

Mind = blown.

Something like this....

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #785 on: April 18, 2012, 12:18:40 AM »

Mind = blown.

Something like this....

I was going to say like this:

Grin

To answer your question: I think you'd look fine. Take that with a grain of salt. I don't mind facial scruff, but not everyone likes it. Plus, I'm an internet stranger- so what do I know? I do think that if you think you want a beard, you should go for it. It's not like it's a permanent thing, after all. If you grow one and hate it, it's the work of a moment to shave it off. Then at least you'd know one way or the other.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #786 on: April 18, 2012, 12:35:37 AM »

I'd rather put it off for now...I'm too young for a beard. You have to be a man for a beard to work.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #787 on: April 19, 2012, 07:38:12 PM »

I'd rather put it off for now...I'm too young for a beard. You have to be a man for a beard to work.

You're planning your beard in advance?

JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #788 on: April 22, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »

You're planning your beard in advance?

LOL

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #789 on: April 22, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »

Beards, like purchasing your first home, choosing which college to attend, and finding a spouse, is a serious business. I commend anyone who is so virtuous and wise as to plan ahead in such matters.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #790 on: April 22, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »

I don't know jack about growing a beard, so I wasn't sure if it was a typical dude thing to plan one in advance or not. Like a rite-of-passage kind of deal.  Huh

Beats me.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #791 on: April 22, 2012, 01:28:11 PM »

Nah, I'm just joking around, since some people take that stuff very seriously, as though you aren't a real man or really truly Orthodox if you don't grow a beard (if you're a guy).  I think it's perfectly fine to decide it's not for you right now and you'll try it later though.

Not joking now, but just for the record, I don't like beards on girls. Please girls, I know it'd probably be embarrassing, but please shave if you have to. Please?  Grin angel police

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #792 on: April 22, 2012, 01:31:10 PM »

Nah, I'm just joking around, since some people take that stuff very seriously, as though you aren't a real man or really truly Orthodox if you don't grow a beard (if you're a guy).  I think it's perfectly fine to decide it's not for you right now and you'll try it later though.

Not joking now, but just for the record, I don't like beards on girls. Please girls, I know it'd probably be embarrassing, but please shave if you have to. Please?  Grin angel police

Oh, this is rich. I thought beard-growing was an Orthodox requirement... Now you're telling me to lay off the testosterone pills? Right as I was starting to get a 5 o'clock shadow and everything.  Wink

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #793 on: April 22, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »

For the record, I don't need to shave. There are some elder grannies who may need to, though.  Undecided Just sayin'.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #794 on: April 22, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »

Oh, this is rich. I thought beard-growing was an Orthodox requirement... Now you're telling me to lay off the testosterone pills? Right as I was starting to get a 5 o'clock shadow and everything.  Wink

Well since you've already started, put that test to good use... squat, deadlift and bench press like there's no tomorrow!

For the record, I don't need to shave. There are some elder grannies who may need to, though.  Undecided Just sayin'.

I've seen women in their late 20s or 30s with more prominent mustaches than most teenage guys can grow.  Cool

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #795 on: April 22, 2012, 01:46:02 PM »

Well since you've already started, put that test to good use... squat, deadlift and bench press like there's no tomorrow!

I'm really happy to hear you say so, because I was hoping that in a couple of weeks I'd be ready to change my avatar to this:

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #796 on: April 22, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »

I'm really happy to hear you say so, because I was hoping that in a couple of weeks I'd be ready to change my avatar to this:

Don't let anyone stand in your way! Never you mind the nay sayers who talk about such things being unfeminine. You will look quite striking!

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #797 on: April 22, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »

Don't let anyone stand in your way! Never you mind the nay sayers who talk about such things being unfeminine. You will look quite striking!

LOL. You win. Striking is absolutely what I'm going for with my lady beard.

kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« Reply #798 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:48 AM »

I'm the one standing up to the baby

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #799 on: April 24, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »

Cheesy

That is obviously a ferocious baby!  Wink

kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« Reply #800 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »

Cheesy

That is obviously a ferocious baby!  Wink

ZZ, Churchill warned of the threat that the Soviet Union posed, Smokey the Bear spoke of the danger of forest fires, and Stephen Colbert taught us that all bears are basically evil... but the greatest menace, imvho, is an unfed baby. If you ever want to understand what Francis Ford Coppola was getting at in "Apocalypse Now", just stare into the cold, blank eyes of a hungry baby.

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #801 on: April 25, 2012, 02:21:12 AM »

So I went through all 18 pages, because I was sure I had posted in this thread years ago. Apparently I haven't, or I'm blind. So, I'm attaching my university grad photo from last year.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #802 on: April 25, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »

My wife, son and I at Pascha feast this year.
PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #803 on: April 25, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »

accident, intended to PM
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:15:22 PM by jah777 » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #804 on: April 25, 2012, 11:15:39 PM »

PP

Awesome!

Selam

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #805 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:18 AM »

I'll be damned, I did it.

Woah...You do not look a thing like I imagined you looking. I imagined you as being tall, slender with short hair, almost shaved, 5 o'clock shadow, tanned skin and big eyes.

(at home)

Dang, has anyone ever told you that you highly resemble Big L in your second picture?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:00:34 AM by JamesR » Logged

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #806 on: April 26, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »

PP

Great pic!

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #807 on: April 28, 2012, 12:10:52 AM »

Since we recently talked about beards, I thought of you all when I saw this today:

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #808 on: April 28, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »

Since we recently talked about beards, I thought of you all when I saw this today:

Awesome.

However, its pretty many to scrape an old fashioned straight razor across your face.  When I do shave, thats the only way I do it!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #809 on: May 01, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »

Bored again today, so I'll play.

When I'm not an alpaca, I look like this more or less:

More pictures, people, or else!

Tags: pictures photos Chuck Norris 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: