Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1341157 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: God
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7425 on: February 23, 2017, 02:22:31 AM »
ESPN's Maria Taylor reported the fan in question yelled, "Pitino, you suck!"...

"I don't like that. We're North Carolina; we don't have to be like everybody else," [North Carolina coach Roy Williams] said. "You can raise Cain, you can boo, but you don't have to say stuff that we as coaches have to put up with on the road. I hope that never happens again at North Carolina."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18745266/fan-ejected-unc-tar-heels-louisville-cardinals-game-exchange-coach-rick-pitino

lol
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." - Dostoevsky

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7426 on: February 25, 2017, 11:59:04 PM »
Sum of the goal differentials of the top 5 teams in each NHL division:

Atlantic  +9
Metropolitan  +199
Central  + 68
Pacific  +26
Is it great defense by Metropolitan Division teams, or is it because they score a lot. I'd have to go with the scoring hypothesis.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7427 on: February 26, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »
Sum of the goal differentials of the top 5 teams in each NHL division:

Atlantic  +9
Metropolitan  +199
Central  + 68
Pacific  +26
Is it great defense by Metropolitan Division teams, or is it because they score a lot. I'd have to go with the scoring hypothesis.

It seems to be largely offense: 4 of the 5 top scoring teams in the NHL are from the Metropolitan Division. However, there's also some defense at play as 3 of top 10 defenses (goals allowed) are in that division, and all five teams included in the quoted stats are in the top half of the league.
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." - Dostoevsky

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7428 on: March 02, 2017, 11:25:18 PM »
Jung Ho Kang was found guilty and got an 8 month prison sentence... however, that sentence is suspended for two years, and if he stays out of trouble he won't have to serve any time.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7429 on: March 04, 2017, 01:00:28 AM »
Here's to hoping he won't get into any more trouble :'(/ :laugh:. If he is able to stay out of trouble and play good baseball, he might become great, you know?

Enough corny Harry Potter references, what was he even convicted of?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7430 on: March 04, 2017, 01:11:23 AM »
It was his 3rd DUI in S. Korea; he didn't hit anyone, but he fled the scene and his friend lied and tried to cover for him by saying he was driving rather than Kang

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #7431 on: March 06, 2017, 12:01:32 AM »
This will shatter every negative stereotype you have about Nick Saban and Alabama football. This is an amazing piece written by an amazing young man. Worth reading, even if you aren't a BAMA fan.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jonathan-allen-goodbye-alabama-football/

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7432 on: March 06, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »
This will shatter every negative stereotype you have about Nick Saban and Alabama football. This is an amazing piece written by an amazing young man. Worth reading, even if you aren't a BAMA fan.

Selam

Yeah, you're not biased or anything.  Perhaps Saban has negative stereotypes because he perpetuates negative stereotypes.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

• Merarches
« Reply #7433 on: March 06, 2017, 02:01:29 AM »

Selam

Yeah, you're not biased or anything.  Perhaps Saban has negative stereotypes because he perpetuates negative stereotypes.

Or maybe you could actually read the article and offer a substantive response to it. But what fun would that be?

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7434 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »

Selam

Or maybe you could actually read the article and offer a substantive response to it. But what fun would that be?

Selam

Do you get paid by Nick Saban to be his apologist or do you just do it for fun?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7435 on: March 13, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
Ex-Penn State AD pleads guilty in abuse case

Two former Penn State University administrators pleaded guilty Monday to misdemeanor child endangerment for their roles in the Jerry Sandusky child molestation case, more than five years after the scandal engulfed the school and led to coach Joe Paterno's downfall. Ex-Athletic Director Tim Curley and former university Vice President Gary Schultz originally were charged with felonies. The reduced charge is punishable by up to five years in prison. Penn State ex-President Graham Spanier was also charged in the case. He was not in the Harrisburg courtroom Monday morning, though his attorneys were. His prosecution appears to be moving forward, with jury selection scheduled for next week... Penn State's costs related to the Sandusky scandal are approaching a quarter-billion dollars...

• Merarches
« Reply #7436 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
Ex-Penn State AD pleads guilty in abuse case

Two former Penn State University administrators pleaded guilty Monday to misdemeanor child endangerment for their roles in the Jerry Sandusky child molestation case, more than five years after the scandal engulfed the school and led to coach Joe Paterno's downfall. Ex-Athletic Director Tim Curley and former university Vice President Gary Schultz originally were charged with felonies. The reduced charge is punishable by up to five years in prison. Penn State ex-President Graham Spanier was also charged in the case. He was not in the Harrisburg courtroom Monday morning, though his attorneys were. His prosecution appears to be moving forward, with jury selection scheduled for next week... Penn State's costs related to the Sandusky scandal are approaching a quarter-billion dollars...

This documentary was really good. I saw it on Netflix. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Valley_%28film%29

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7437 on: March 19, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »
How are everyone's brackets doing?

Mine are toast.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7438 on: March 19, 2017, 10:45:10 PM »
I'd almost given up hope in Sidney Crosby leading the league in points this year... and then he gets 5 goals in two games to pull into a tie for 1st with McDavid.

This documentary was really good. I saw it on Netflix. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Valley_%28film%29

Thanks for the recommendation. I started watching this, but am only about 1/3 of the way through so far.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7439 on: March 24, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
There's a report that "Jung Ho Kang has been denied a visa to enter the United States."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7440 on: April 02, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »
I bought a radio to listen to MLB games on this year... and apparently it doesn't pick up the station(s) any better than my mp3 player.  :police:  ::)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7442 on: April 08, 2017, 07:42:05 PM »
I bought a radio to listen to MLB games on this year... and apparently it doesn't pick up the station(s) any better than my mp3 player.  :police: ::)

I am not sure what type of radio you purchased, which band the stations are on, and where you are using it.

Assuming it is the AM band and you do not carry it around with you while listening:

The GE Superadio (model 7-2880) and Superadio II (model 7-2885) were great long distance (DX) reception radios for only $30-$40 retail when new. They now sell for up to $200 on ebay and anything in the $50-$60 range is likely junk, but people have found them on Craigslist and garage sales for around $10. Don't buy the Superadio III (model 7-2887).  These are very large portables and are around 30 years old. As far as new, the C. Crane, CC Radio EP with its internal 7.9” Twin Coil Ferrite rod antenna for $85 is about as good as you can get (including those $200 ebay Superadios) and it makes little sense paying any more than that.

If you need a pocket portable, the Radio Shack  1200586 for $11.89 has the best AM sensitivity.

The other alternative, if your problem is weak signals rather than interference is to buy an AM loop antenna.  I would pick this:
https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-Rotatable-Tuneable-Antenna-Battery/dp/B00BLW627G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491694444&sr=1-1&keywords=tecsun+AN-200

It is the same as the Grundig/Eton/Kaito loop antennas and costs about the same as having it shipped from China ($27 total) and it doesn't have to be plugged in to work. It should convert your mp3 player into a DX radio if you put the radio inside or near the loop.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7443 on: April 10, 2017, 01:05:59 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Opus! I gave it another day to see if it came in better (it was rainy the first few times I tried), but it does look like I'll have to look for one of the ones you mentioned.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7444 on: April 13, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
Ok, can some basketball fan clear something up for me? I follow the sport very casually, like I don't watch any games and read maybe 5-6 articles on the NBA a week. But the question is, how in the world can Westbrook not be the unanimous choice to win the MVP award?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7445 on: April 18, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
When I read about Starling Marte getting an 80 game suspension for using PEDs, I felt like someone punched me in the gut. :( Which is actually a bit of a strange reaction, since I assume that 80% of pro athletes are using drugs, and you don't have to look like a bodybuilder to be using them... but it was still a kick out of nowhere.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• St. John from the Lindisfarne Gospels
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #7446 on: April 18, 2017, 11:59:49 PM »
When I read about Starling Marte getting an 80 game suspension for using PEDs, I felt like someone punched me in the gut. :( Which is actually a bit of a strange reaction, since I assume that 80% of pro athletes are using drugs, and you don't have to look like a bodybuilder to be using them... but it was still a kick out of nowhere.
Sounds like you feel how I felt when I heard the no-pitch intentional walk was in effect  >:(
The only way it could possibly be redeemed is if the manager has to come out of the dugout and wave a white flag in full view of all for it to be recognized.
Abbâ Anthony received a revelation in the desert, saying, “In such and such a city there is a man who resembleth thee; he is a physician, and he worketh and giveth whatsoever he earneth to the poor and needy, and each day he, with the angels, ascribeth holiness to God three times a day.”

May the Lord help me to become even a little bit like that guy.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7447 on: April 21, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »
The no-pitch intentional walk is bizarre, to say the least.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7448 on: April 23, 2017, 06:50:49 PM »
Kenya and Ethiopia swept the field in the London Marathon, grabbing ranks 1-4 in both men and women. It was glorious.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7449 on: April 23, 2017, 08:05:43 PM »
Ok, can some basketball fan clear something up for me? I follow the sport very casually, like I don't watch any games and read maybe 5-6 articles on the NBA a week. But the question is, how in the world can Westbrook not be the unanimous choice to win the MVP award?

I could conceivably repeat the arguments that I heard on the Sirius XM NBA channel, but that wouldn't be me. From my perspective, I never heard of a triple double when I went to Warriors games at the Cow Palace when Rick Berry was playing. I suspect that Bill Russell was not playing with the triple doubles in mind. The whole thing seems artificial to me. How does Westbrook fare with triple base 8, 9, 11, 12 statistics, for example. That might make a more convincing argument. There seems to be an acceptance of base 10 and I thought I would give my opinion in this regard.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7450 on: April 29, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
I don't know how things would fare with using something other than 10 as a base, and I would agree that in any single game (or series) it wouldn't seem to be that important. It is indeed an artificial cut off. However, being only (I think) the 2nd player in NBA history to do it, combined with these being the most important stats in the sport, makes it relevant. He also led the league in points, and was 3rd overall in assists. Compare that to Jordan, who gets a lot of compliments about being the best ever, who led the league in points many times, but also led the league in missed field goals many seasons. It's hard scoring 30+ ppg, but the fact that a point guard (Westbrook) did it and simultaneously came close to leading the league in assists, and then throwing in a respectable forward's worth of rebounds... I mean, that's crazy to me.

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• Elder
« Reply #7451 on: May 10, 2017, 10:51:51 PM »
Another year same results Caps choking in the playoffs. 

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7452 on: May 10, 2017, 10:57:26 PM »
Another year same results Caps choking in the playoffs.

I'm a Pens fan and I had to work during every game  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7453 on: May 17, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
This LaVar Ball stuff is going to be a perfect storm of schadenfreude if his son begins to slip in the draft. I feel bad for the kid, but his Father makes it hard to feel another way about the whole thing...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7454 on: May 17, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
I'm about to watch a high school baseball game on TV.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7455 on: May 18, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »
Cool, what channel is it? In Maryland, they only show the state championship games on TV.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7456 on: May 18, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
It's called Spectrum. I live on the west coast of Florida.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7457 on: May 20, 2017, 11:49:34 PM »
Kang's drunk driving sentence was upheld, meaning he most likely won't get a visa and play this year. I assume this will cost him millions. Hopefully others who might drink and drive will take notice.

In other news... 1/4 of the way through the season and it looks like McCutchen really isn't going to get back to his all-star level (he's hitting .215 so far this season). Though confusingly, he isn't too far off his normal production in home runs and steals.