Author Topic: Video of the Day  (Read 142386 times)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
Re: Video of the Day
« Reply #1800 on: April 16, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »
The Power of Words

I TRY not to hate it when you make me tear up!
Thanks.

Oh boy, here rises my contrarian nature. Sorry, but this really aggravates me, because it equates English with literacy. Oh what a blessing for those poor ignorant, illiterate folks (who may know five languages) to finally be able to understand read English!  ::)

Selam

Fixed it for you. It is, indeed, a blessing that you take for granted.

Because it's not a blessing to be able to read in languages other than English?

Selam

Hardly. (I can do that in five, btw.) The video promotes functional literacy in the language of one's country of residence. Do you have an issue with that?

Yeah, I have an issue with the latent racism of the video.
Selam

I found a healthy pride in that video: here is a man willing to become more literate in another language. A noble thing that is. He shows his goodness by raising a son, while he worked having no time to learn reading since he was a grown man, a foreigner in a strange land, probably doing crappy jobs to take advantage of this New World that could not do what that Old World was doing to everybody else who stayed behind.
Gebre, you got your head stuck up in retrograde! Get it out, take a whiff of fresh air. You read like a 3rd generation American.
My folks came as foreigners and all (except the wife), had to learn English as that was now their country.
God is the life of all free beings

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro & OR (POC)
Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #1803 on: April 21, 2016, 02:17:05 AM »
The Power of Words

I TRY not to hate it when you make me tear up!
Thanks.

Oh boy, here rises my contrarian nature. Sorry, but this really aggravates me, because it equates English with literacy. Oh what a blessing for those poor ignorant, illiterate folks (who may know five languages) to finally be able to understand read English!  ::)

Selam

Fixed it for you. It is, indeed, a blessing that you take for granted.

Because it's not a blessing to be able to read in languages other than English?

Selam

Hardly. (I can do that in five, btw.) The video promotes functional literacy in the language of one's country of residence. Do you have an issue with that?

Yeah, I have an issue with the latent racism of the video.
Selam

I found a healthy pride in that video: here is a man willing to become more literate in another language. A noble thing that is. He shows his goodness by raising a son, while he worked having no time to learn reading since he was a grown man, a foreigner in a strange land, probably doing crappy jobs to take advantage of this New World that could not do what that Old World was doing to everybody else who stayed behind.
Gebre, you got your head stuck up in retrograde! Get it out, take a whiff of fresh air. You read like a 3rd generation American.
My folks came as foreigners and all (except the wife), had to learn English as that was now their country.

Why didn't the video portray white people learning English? I suspect it's because the people that made the video assume that African or "Black" languages are "illiterate" languages, but Europeans who don't know English don't really need to learn English, because French and German and Dutch are "literate" languages. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive about it, but sometimes things like this seem completely condescending and rife with racist overtones. Just my opinion.

Selam
"Bad art may be forgiven; but to remain unmoved by beauty will not. Doubts may be forgiven; but a lack of wonder will not. Tilting at windmills may be forgiven; but allowing our neighbors to be grinded in the gears will not. Denying the existence of the Creator may be forgiven; but ignoring the glories of creation will not."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • This will have been fun.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #1804 on: April 21, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »
Why didn't the video portray white people learning English? I suspect it's because the people that made the video assume that African or "Black" languages are "illiterate" languages, but Europeans who don't know English don't really need to learn English, because French and German and Dutch are "literate" languages. Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive about it, but sometimes things like this seem completely condescending and rife with racist overtones. Just my opinion.

Selam

Because the video's target audience is the adult immigrant in the US? Just a thought.

I don't understand why you keep comparing English to other languages. It's not a matter of which one is more 'literate'. It's a matter of being fully functional in the language used where you are. The average American will never find himself having to live in a place where every scrap of writing, from street signs to newspapers, is in a language he can't decipher. If we drop you off in the middle of Tokyo and you can't read Japanese, you'd be as hamstrung as the guy in the video, even if everyone around you spoke English.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #1805 on: April 21, 2016, 04:00:54 AM »

Selam

Because the video's target audience is the adult immigrant in the US? Just a thought.

I don't understand why you keep comparing English to other languages. It's not a matter of which one is more 'literate'. It's a matter of being fully functional in the language used where you are. The average American will never find himself having to live in a place where every scrap of writing, from street signs to newspapers, is in a language he can't decipher. If we drop you off in the middle of Tokyo and you can't read Japanese, you'd be as hamstrung as the guy in the video, even if everyone around you spoke English.

I understand. I just wish it would have included some other races in the video as well. It just seems like so often Africa and indigenous Black cultures are portrayed as in need of some form of Western cultural salvation.

Selam
"Bad art may be forgiven; but to remain unmoved by beauty will not. Doubts may be forgiven; but a lack of wonder will not. Tilting at windmills may be forgiven; but allowing our neighbors to be grinded in the gears will not. Denying the existence of the Creator may be forgiven; but ignoring the glories of creation will not."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1806 on: April 21, 2016, 02:39:16 PM »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #1807 on: April 22, 2016, 12:22:05 AM »

Selam

I understand. I just wish it would have included some other races in the video as well. It just seems like so often Africa and indigenous Black cultures are portrayed as in need of some form of Western cultural salvation.

Selam

The truth I see is that both cultures are needed for mutual salvation.
Except I may be a racist as I see the African way has more to offer than receive in the exchange.
The West has toys and a narrow form of knowledge that leads mostly to death. The Southern Folks have a broad way to Knowledge and Life. All civilizations started in The South with the elements of Truth and still retain it in the kernel.
But that's just me.
God is the life of all free beings

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
« Reply #1808 on: April 29, 2016, 03:19:06 AM »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1809 on: April 29, 2016, 04:59:41 AM »
ΕΠΙΚΡΑΝΘΗ (Μ. Παρασκευή)

(There are episodes for each day of Holy Week. Best visualisation I've ever seen.)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #1811 on: Today at 12:40:25 PM »
I suppose something was added to the incense ;)
https://www.facebook.com/nina.migalina.7/posts/1048082338609505
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria