OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 11:53:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History Channel-St. Peter the Rock  (Read 4336 times) Average Rating: 0
James the Just
« on: April 19, 2003, 07:25:11 PM »

FYIUALL

Tonite the History Channel is showing St Peter the Rock plus assorted shorts. Popcorn is xtra.

James
MartinIntlStud

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 08:29:04 PM »

They had one on the Church of the Resurrection(Holy Sepulcre) last night, it was alright. Turns out that the archeologists agree that it is the spot...how bout that
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 08:18:03 PM »

Drat!

I missed both of them! :'(

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 03:08:24 PM »

I saw the St. Peter one.  and the St. Paul one. and the Mary, mother of Jesus one.  All were borderline blasphemous (turns out Mary wasn't a virgin, she was pregnant out of wedlock).  Oh, and HC believes in the Immaculate Conception!  

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 03:17:45 PM »

turns out Mary wasn't a virgin, she was pregnant out of wedlock

That's an old one - been around since Roman times.

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 03:32:06 PM »

Well, just goes to show ye old evil one has been at it a while.  It may be old but its none the less ridiculous.  Arianism and Manicheeism (SP) have been around awhile too.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 03:32:39 PM »

I stopped watching the "history" channel a while back. I use to think that they always invited only liberals onto their shows, but after a while I started to realise that their selection of theologians, historians, etc. had nothing to do with being liberal or moderate, or conservative. From what I can tell, they don't have a clue what they're doing there. Indeed, I've seen liberals on there saying the most blasphemous things. On the other hand, I've seen shows where conservatives (e.g., Catholic Steve Ray) are basically given as much time as they like to expound on their beliefs, with minimal--if any--attempts at examining what they are saying. The sad thing is, many people watch these shows and it's their main source of information on theology and religion. Why read a half dozen books on a subject when you can listen to "experts" tell you what to think? Sad
« Last Edit: April 22, 2003, 03:44:52 PM by Paradosis » Logged

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 03:41:52 PM »

There were lots of quotes from Steve Rey and other unabashed Papalists on the St. Peter Show.  to the point that one would think that HC believed in Papal Infalibility, which given the antibilical foundation of that particular heretical belief, I wouldn't doupt it.

BTW, I happened to be flipping chanels Sunday night, and came across Trinity Broadcasting Network (a very PROTESTANT channel) and about fell out of my chair.  When I recovered, I realized that I was not seeing things.  There was an Orthodox Priest (Riassa, Beard, everything) quoting saint after saint, mystic after mystic, with tons of shots of Icons, Byzantine Chants, candles, and qoutes from some Lay Orthodox Theologian who's name I can't remember.  It was some video about Easter.  I kid you not.

Joe Zollars

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 03:45:13 PM »

Joe,

Have you ever been to an Eastern Orthodox church?

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 04:04:44 PM »

not yet but this weekend I am.  I live in the midwest remember?  going to an Orthodox Church includes a great deal of effort.  Getting a hotel room, getting off from work, etc. etc. etc.

Why do you ask?

Joe Zollars
« Last Edit: April 22, 2003, 04:05:05 PM by JoeZollars » Logged

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 04:07:06 PM »

Because, frankly, Joe, now you are making a lot of noise about something you know little about. I wouldn't talk up a certain make of car vs. others if I'd never driven it, for example.

Looking forward to hearing about your first experience of Eastern Christian worship.

MartinIntlStud

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2003, 04:56:57 PM »

No, he's right about the thing on TBN, I saw it too. However, it was NOT an Orthodox Priest, it just looked like one. He is Fr. Stephen Malony, a Byzantine Catholic Priest.
MartinIntlStud

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2003, 04:58:46 PM »

I did see the special too, it was a Pan-Christian special with commentary from many Protestant and Catholic scholars about the importance of the Ressurection. Nothing that Priest said sounded un-Orthodox until he mentioned the Pope in passing and that's what clued me in. However he did the interview from a very beautiful Byzantine Rite Church that looked VERY Orthodox. I had to look it up to know for sure.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2003, 05:06:59 PM »

well, I did come in halph way through the show.  but was still surprised. In fact this is more surprising.  A CATHOLIC on TBN!!!!!!!

Joe Zollars

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2003, 05:09:59 PM »

Sometimes they let them slip by if they agree to be agreeable. They also let Jews on as long as they don't mention what the Talmud says about Jesus Wink Isn't ecumenical dialogue wonderful? Everyone gets to say what they believe, as long as what they say doesn't offend anyone. Tongue

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2003, 05:11:51 PM »

Awe, the smell of rank ecumania in the late afternoon!

The only good kind of ecumenism is the one that leads to conversion.

Joe Zollars

MartinIntlStud

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2003, 06:27:14 PM »

Well, on this subject, most Christians agree, granted I don't think anyone is as eloquent as actual Orthodoxy.
James the Just
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2003, 06:41:36 PM »

Sunday night the Discovery Channel had a segment on the James Ossuary, I missed the 1st 15 minutes but caught a reference to the Armenian Church. After they showed a segment on the spear that pierced the Lord's side(alleged) and its mystical powers. A little better then the History Channel.

James
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2003, 08:50:04 PM »

The spear's name is "The Spear of Destiny" and supposidly it hold great power. Hitler supposedly had it stolen and was doing well conquering until it mysteriously vanished and then his defeat began. Just a little lore I thought some might find interesting.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
James the Just
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2003, 09:30:08 PM »

According to the segment, it was also belonged to St. Constantine and it assumed that St Helen added a nail from the crucifixtion.Charlemagne also possess it.

James
MartinIntlStud

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2003, 10:18:01 PM »

eek, the idea that a relic of Our Lord would aid Hitler...doubtful, in fact, no...Hitler was doing well until he decided to try his hand at Mother Russia
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2003, 12:49:49 AM »

Awe, the smell of rank ecumania in the late afternoon!

The only good kind of ecumenism is the one that leads to conversion.

Joe Zollars

Define ecumenism, please.  I know some very pious and dedicated Orthodox ecumenists who participated in the WCC and who always confronted Protestants with the truth of Orthodoxy.  Was it sinful for them to even go and try to talk?

anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2003, 06:39:25 PM »

not if they were trying to lead people to the truth of Orthodoxy.  Ecumenical Dialogue is fundamentally protestant in nature and is just plain pointless.  There will never be a reconciliation between the SBC and Orthodoxy until one side caves into the other doctrinally.  And I think we both agree that Orthodoxy cannot cave in doctrinally.  Ecumenism is trying to get everyone together to agree on certain base issues, that is "fundamentals", and declare all the rest to open to opinion.

Joe Zollars

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2003, 06:48:30 PM »

Real ecumenism, from the apostolic - Orthodox or Catholic - POV, is ultimately catechesis and 'you come in'-ism. Anything else is a waste of time.

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2003, 07:01:41 PM »

exactly.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: