OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 03:53:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Peter  (Read 1293 times) Average Rating: 0
Monkey

Recovering Protestant

« on: April 09, 2003, 02:59:13 PM »

Acts 15:7
And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: "Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.

When did God do this? Is there any possibility other that Matthew 16:18?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 03:11:23 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the question, are you trying to assert that the only times this could have happened was during the events that are recorded in the Gospels? John spoke of all the great things that had happened in Jesus' ministry, isn't it possible that this was a part of it?

Certainly Peter was the leader of the apostles... and preached (as did the "apostle to the gentiles," Paul) to both gentiles and the jews (he mentions gentiles in this case because of the discussion going on). I'm not sure that we need any one special passage for this to happen as he seems to be the leader of the Apostles (or at least among the "inner circle") very early on. I don't think we can know for sure when exactly this choosing took place. Did the saints ever speculate as to when this took place?  Huh

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 03:50:09 PM »

Acts 15:7
And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: "Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.

When did God do this? Is there any possibility other that Matthew 16:18?

I don't have my Bible with me, but I believe St. Peter was speaking of the events of Acts 10: his rooftop vision in Joppa; the arrival of the servants of Cornelius; his trip to the home of Cornelius; and the subsequent conversion and baptism of Cornelius and those with him.

St. Peter, as the leader of the early Church, was chosen to open the preaching of the Gospel to the Gentiles, a commission which was later taken up by St. Paul.

The council described in Acts 15 occurred well after Peter's vision and subsequent mission to Cornelius.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: