OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:48:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting and choice of church  (Read 12621 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2004, 12:03:21 AM »

Crucifer,

Yes, they do, but that term is not generally used. It is based on I believe Apostolic Canon 83 or 84, which paraphrased states if there is a question about baptism, do it over.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2004, 12:30:48 AM »

Do the Orthodox consider Holy Baptism to be 'indelible" (to use the Western terminology), that is once validly received it cannot be repeated? Hence the term "conditional"..

Proverbs 22:7
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2004, 12:46:38 AM »

Do the Orthodox consider Holy Baptism to be 'indelible" (to use the Western terminology), that is once validly received it cannot be repeated? Hence the term "conditional"..

Yes it is indelible but it cannot, stictly speaking, happen outside the Church. So when someone comes to Orthodoxy various methods can be used to effect a baptism: a full water baptism or a chrismation which fills in the form of baptism from the former confession.

Some Orthodox nowadays will say that non-Orthodox baptism counts but they are in the minority and have yet to provide a coherent theology to support these ideas.

With conditional baptism, yes there is the idea that it is conditional but there is no change in the formula to my knowledge.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2004, 01:20:05 AM »

It's almost 2am. Don't you have classes tomorow? Shouldn't you be asleep by now?

ps-I'm at work so I have an excuse to be up...I'm getting paid to be! Tongue
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 01:21:05 AM by Crucifer » Logged

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2004, 01:25:40 AM »

I have insomnia Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2004, 06:55:26 PM »

I have never seen any of these statements by SCOBA (not that they don't exist).  Regardless, SCOBA is what it is - a conference.  They're not the Church or the American uber-Synod.  They don't really make binding (to use an RC word) orders or statements.

That's true...there are other jurisdictions not under SCOBA, obviously...I'm just referring to statements like this one from Bishop Tikhon of the West that make it clear that the tradition followed by the OCA (as well as the AOAA, AFAIK) -- reception by chrismation -- is the one received from Russia:  

The practice of our Church, the Orthodox Church in America, and that of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America ("The Metropolia"), as likewise that of the Russian Mission and Missionary Diocese and Archdiocese that preceded them, in the matter of the reception of heretics is very clear: it is the practice that obtains and has obtained in the Russian Church for centuries, at least since the time of Peter the Great.

This tradition is therefore to be the rule among parishes under the OCA.  Any exceptions are to be cleared with the bishop, as your priest obviously is doing.  Good for him.  Sorry if I jumped on his back; I had no right to do so.  Forgive me?

I think your statement of "whole parts of the OCA calling for rebaptizing" is both innacurate and an overreaction.

Wow.  You are right.[/b]  My apologies to everyone for that blunder.  I just re-read the whole thread and nowhere was that ever said.  Sorry about that.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2004, 08:55:13 PM »

Which leads into my question: do Orthodox ever "conditionally" baptise someone in case there is a question as to the validity of thier first baptism?

Do any of you think for one second that Christ would condemn anyone simply because they were sprinkled instead of dunked?Huh!!!!!! It is the ACT of Baptism - the CONFESSION of belief that is important and not the specific way it was done.

I reject this teaching from any Church.

BTW - On my flight out to Sacramento from DC, I sat beside 2 Pentecostal Ukranian preachers. They have lived in the US for 15 years and we were talking about Orthodoxy. BOTH of these men REFUSED to say anything bad about the Orthodox - their reaction was "Christ tells us not to judge one another. The IMPORTANT thing is that one is a Christian"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 09:00:34 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2004, 09:07:25 PM »

Guess you've left the Church. TomΣ

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2004, 09:17:57 PM »

Do any of you think for one second that Christ would condemn anyone simply because they were sprinkled instead of dunked?Huh!!!!!! It is the ACT of Baptism - the CONFESSION of belief that is important and not the specific way it was done.

I wasn't reffering to the mode (immersion, effusion) of Baptism, I was reffering to the intention of the celebrant of the sacrament and/or the recipient. If one is baptised in a non-Trinitarian denomination, i.e. Jehovah's Witnesses, I'm not sure that baptism would be a valid Christian baptism.  Other factors such as the denomination's belief re:original sin, baptismal regeneration etc would come into play in deciding if the person should have a conditional baptism.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2004, 09:21:54 PM »

BTW - On my flight out to Sacramento from DC, I sat beside 2 Pentecostal Ukranian preachers. They have lived in the US for 15 years and we were talking about Orthodoxy. BOTH of these men REFUSED to say anything bad about the Orthodox - their reaction was "Christ tells us not to judge one another. The IMPORTANT thing is that one is a Christian"

Tom,

Last year you said you agreed with baptizing those who did not receive triple immersion.

Yeah I actually think Christ gives a hoot that we be baptized correctly.

But that's not the point. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO with whether Christ will condemn so and so. That's his right. But we have to be faithful to what he instituted: baptism by triple immersion.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2004, 09:25:23 PM »

I wasn't reffering to the mode (immersion, effusion) of Baptism, I was reffering to the intention of the celebrant of the sacrament and/or the recipient. If one is baptised in a non-Trinitarian denomination, i.e. Jehovah's Witnesses, I'm not sure that baptism would be a valid Christian baptism.  Other factors such as the denomination's belief re:original sin, baptismal regeneration etc would come into play in deciding if the person should have a conditional baptism.

Sorry, Crucifier -- I used your quote - but my rant was not directed at you at all.

And I DO agree that if one is baptized by what one would generally consider a non-Christian church, such as the JW's, then that is something entirely different.

My objection is to those Orthodox Priests who want to re-baptize all Protestants.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2004, 09:26:49 PM »

But we have to be faithful to what he instituted: baptism by triple immersion.

He said "in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit"

But nothing about triple immersion.

Yeah I actually think Christ gives a hoot that we be baptized correctly.

Christ is not a Pharisee.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 09:32:02 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2004, 09:28:37 PM »

Guess you've left the Church. TomΣ

No. I am trying to help the Church shed the remnants of its misguided Roman Catholic heritage.

And I am happy to say that it is working:

http://www.goarch.org/en/news/releases/articles/release9004.asp
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 09:39:01 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2004, 09:49:10 PM »

No. I am trying to help the Church shed the remnants of its misguided Roman Catholic heritage.

And I am happy to say that it is working:

http://www.goarch.org/en/news/releases/articles/release9004.asp

Yep. Everyone has read the dismal news. Guess you and the EP have been sniffin' some powerful incense together. Wanna' bet real money he backs down?

BUT, you've done well. You've helped me make up my mind:

Baptize EVERYONE - full triple dunkings.

Thanks pal,

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2004, 09:55:09 PM »

So long as they don't go off the deep end and replace water Baptism with rose petals like the folks at Unity!

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2004, 09:58:00 PM »

Yep. Everyone has read the dismal news. Guess you and the EP have been sniffin' some powerful incense together. Wanna' bet real money he backs down?

BUT, you've done well. You've helped me make up my mind:

Baptize EVERYONE - full triple dunkings.

Thanks pal,

Why does he need to back down? The "world" Orthodox Churches have been doing this for years. Everyone who admits to the truth knows this.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2004, 10:18:40 PM »

Why does he need to back down? The "world" Orthodox Churches have been doing this for years. Everyone who admits to the truth knows this.
:rofl:

TRUTH?
The only "truth" I've read from you in the last two weeks is your admission you were really a Protestant.

Now THAT, I believe.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2004, 10:38:21 PM »

:rofl:

TRUTH?
The only "truth" I've read from you in the last two weeks is your admission you were really a Protestant.

Now THAT, I believe.

You're mistaken, my friend. I am Greek Orthodox; I have the papers from the Archdiocese to prove it.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2004, 10:48:33 PM »

Tom,

THIS IS NOT SHEDDING ROMAN CATHOLIC HERITAGE. This is making Orthodoxy BECOME MORE ROMAN CATHOLIC by accepting THEIR ideas about grace outside the Church, their ideas about baptism by pouring, etc etc etc.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2004, 10:50:25 PM »

Reception by economy is one thing. Accepting heterodox baptisms IN AND OF THEMSELVES is not.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2004, 10:58:10 PM »

THIS IS NOT SHEDDING ROMAN CATHOLIC HERITAGE. This is making Orthodoxy BECOME MORE ROMAN CATHOLIC by accepting THEIR ideas about grace outside the Church, their ideas about baptism by pouring, etc etc etc.

So in some areas the RC's are becoming more correct in their practice of Chrsitianity.

Although I was referring more to the "made up traditions" of the ancient Church. Such as the "worship" of Mary.
penelope
If I love the sea and all that is sealike, and love it most when it angrily contradicts me...

OC.net

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2004, 11:47:03 PM »

Although I was referring more to the "made up traditions" of the ancient Church. Such as the "worship" of Mary.
A tradition that goes back to St. Elizabeth doesn't sound made-up to me  Wink

Let me love myself only if I love thee and do all things for thy sake.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2004, 11:54:06 PM »

Friends,

TomS is a friend of many of us and we are trying to patiently answer his questions. However, many of the threads are becoming bogged down because of TomS's concerns.  I would therefore request that TomS start a thread in free for all called "TomS's concerns" and that he only post stuff that he disagrees with* in THAT thread for the time being.

I ask that we get back on track and not respond any more to the TomS posts in these threads.

Anastasios
ADMINISTRATOR

* And of course in so doing it must be reasonable and not offensive to the Orthodox believers here.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 11:56:31 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2004, 01:09:06 AM »

Another sleepless night Anastasios?

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: