OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TBN's Promise: Send Money See Riches!!!  (Read 3581 times) Average Rating: 0
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« on: September 24, 2004, 12:09:23 PM »

THE PROSPERITY GOSPEL
TBN's Promise: Send Money and See Riches

Excerpt:

By William Lobdell, Times Staff Writer

Pastor Paul Crouch calls it "God's economy of giving," and here is how it works:

People who donate to Crouch's Trinity Broadcasting Network will reap financial blessings from a grateful God. The more they give TBN, the more he will give them.

Being broke or in debt is no excuse not to write a check. In fact, it's an ideal opportunity. For God is especially generous to those who give when they can least afford it.

"He'll give you thousands, hundreds of thousands," Crouch told his viewers during a telethon last November. "He'll give millions and billions of dollars."

Preachers who pass the hat while praising the Lord have long been the stuff of ridicule in film and fiction. But for Crouch and his Orange County-based television ministry, God's economy of giving is no laughing matter. It brings a rich bounty, year after year.

Crouch has used a doctrine called the "prosperity gospel" to underwrite a worldwide broadcasting network and a life of luxury for himself and his family.

For at least a century, preachers have plied the notion that dropping money in the collection plate will bring blessings from God — material as well as spiritual. But Crouch, through inspired salesmanship and advanced telecommunications technology, has converted this timeworn creed into a potent financial engine.

TBN collects more than $120 million a year from viewers of its Christian programming — more than any other TV ministry. Those donations have fueled its rise from a rented studio in Santa Ana to a global broadcasting system whose programs appear on thousands of channels — via satellite, cable and over-the-air broadcasts — in a dozen languages.

The network's donors also help fund generous salaries for Crouch ($403,700 a year) and his wife, Jan ($361,000), and an array of perks, including a TBN-owned jet and 30 homes across the country, among them a pair of Newport Beach mansions and a ranch in Texas.

The prosperity gospel is rooted in the idea that God wants Christians to prosper and that believers have the right to ask him for financial gifts. TBN has woven this notion into its round-the-clock programming as well as the thousands of fund-raising letters it mails every day.

During one telethon, Crouch, 70, told viewers that if they did their part to advance the Kingdom of God — such as by donating money to TBN — they should not be shy about asking God for a reward.

"If my heart really, honestly desires a nice Cadillac GǪ would there be something terribly wrong with me saying, 'Lord, it is the desire of my heart to have a nice car GǪ and I'll use it for your glory?' " Crouch asked. "I think I could do that and in time, as I walked in obedience with God, I believe I'd have it."

Other preachers who appear on the network offer variations on the theme that God appreciates wealth and likes to share it. One of them, John Avanzini, once told viewers that Jesus, despite his humble image, was a man of means.

"John 19 tells us that Jesus wore designer clothes," Avanzini said, referring to the purple robe that Christ's tormentors wrapped around him before the Crucifixion. "I mean, you didn't get the stuff he wore off the rackGǪ. No, this was custom stuff. It was the kind of garment that kings and rich merchants wore."

TBN viewers are told that if they don't reap a windfall despite their donations, they must be doing something to "block God's blessing" — most likely, not giving enough.

Crouch has particularly stern words for those who are not giving at all.

"If you have been healed or saved or blessed through TBN and have not contributed GǪ you are robbing God and will lose your reward in heaven," he said during a 1997 telecast.

A central element of the prosperity gospel is that no one is too poor or too indebted to donate. Bishop Clarence McClendon, a preacher whose show "Take It By Force" appears on TBN, told viewers in March that God had asked him to deliver a message to those in financial difficulty:

They should "sow a seed" by using their credit cards to make donations. In return, the Lord would see to it that the balances would be paid off within 30 days.

"Get Jesus on that credit card!" McClendon said.

Full Story: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-tb...ines-california

--------LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I can't beleive people fall for such garbage.
The protestants have always pointed the finger at the RC selling indulgences in the past, but it's ironic that they are doing the same thing basically & over television!!!! What  a bunch of frauds, over 30 houses & a huge salary like that? TBN is an affront to christianity and they should be ashamed of themselves. Some of these idiots even have better pancaked make-up & wigs than some of the hollywood idiots lol!!!! I also love the golden big chairs they sit on like they are kings or something hehe. Their version of christianity is a multi-level marketing ploy at best & they are the only ones profiting big time.

WWJD?Huh Probably kick out Paul & Jan Crouch & others of his/her ilk out the the temple...........

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 12:29:07 PM »

Wonder how Jan would look without her beloved makeup ?

That's scary.........

JB

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 01:06:21 PM »

Wonder how Jan would look without her beloved makeup ?

That's scary.........

LOL Cool!!!!
I don't know, I'm still trying to figure out what planet she came from......

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
lellimore

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 01:20:39 PM »

I wish God gave out money that freely...would get me through school quite comfortably!
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 01:34:48 PM »

I wish God gave out money that freely...would get me through school quite comfortably!

Send me $100 & I'll see what I can do you lol!!!!!!!!!!

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 02:11:32 PM »

Sounds like one trying to buy their way in to the Kingdom of God.

JoeS
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 03:00:03 PM »

I remember laughing hysterically when some preacher compared God to the GPS system in his jaguar.  Then I switched channels to watch some real tv... MXC!

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 04:22:58 PM »

I remember laughing hysterically when some preacher compared God to the GPS system in his jaguar.  Then I switched channels to watch some real tv... MXC!

HAHA, I used to watch Binny Hinn & Brotha Copeland for some good late night laughs. It's unbelievable to me that anyone would take such con artist seriously. I love watching Hinn throw his hand out like he was Moses parting the sea or something & would slain people in the spirit. I saw a few times where he did that to the choir & they all fell down. Talk about mass brainwashing, not sure how he gets away with it. He should go work for David Coperfiield lol!!!

Tony

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 05:27:58 PM »

It's sad, but some of these brainwashed followers of the televangelists are otherwise very intelligent people. I had a friend who had a 4.0 GPA every semester of college. He always read Chick comics and believed them as if they were Gospel.

In Christ,
Anthony

HAHA, I used to watch Binny Hinn & Brotha Copeland for some good late night laughs. It's unbelievable to me that anyone would take such con artist seriously. I love watching Hinn throw his hand out like he was Moses parting the sea or something & would slain people in the spirit. I saw a few times where he did that to the choir & they all fell down. Talk about mass brainwashing, not sure how he gets away with it. He should go work for David Coperfiield lol!!!
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 05:49:40 PM »

It's what Pat Robertson always used to call the Law of Reciprocity.  Whatever you give to them, God would give you back 10 times as much.  It's amazing how much they are willing to appeal to people's greed in order to get them to give money, even though the Bible has nothing good to say about greed and that wealthy people have a hard time making it into heaven.  The Bible talks about motives for doing things and how God knows our motives, and then the TV preachers tempt people to give out of the wrong motives by telling them that God will give them 10 times as much back.  Why would God do that if greed is  sinful?
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 05:50:41 PM »

And let's not forget Oral Roberts telling people that if they didn't send him $8 million, God  "would take him home".
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 06:40:17 PM »

It's what Pat Robertson always used to call the Law of Reciprocity.  Whatever you give to them, God would give you back 10 times as much.  It's amazing how much they are willing to appeal to people's greed in order to get them to give money, even though the Bible has nothing good to say about greed and that wealthy people have a hard time making it into heaven.  The Bible talks about motives for doing things and how God knows our motives, and then the TV preachers tempt people to give out of the wrong motives by telling them that God will give them 10 times as much back.  Why would God do that if greed is  sinful?

Yea, I think they are missing the whole point of tithing. We still are responsible for tithing, but nowhere does it stipulate that in return we will become wealthy. I beleive the tithe is for the sake of bishops/priest so that they can adequetly carry out the functions of the church here on earth. It's out of  good intentions we do this & pray that the Lord's will be done. Protestants are also sinning in that they are the one's deciding where they will tithe thier money.  Going all the way back into the O.T., it was always the priesthood who was responsible on how & where funds should go. So, I give faithfully to the Church, putting my trust into the Bishops/Priest that they will handle it in a Godly & deserving manner. If I do get some kind of reward, I would rather it be in the after life then now.  

It's sad, but some of these brainwashed followers of the televangelists are otherwise very intelligent people. I had a friend who had a 4.0 GPA every semester of college. He always read Chick comics and believed them as if they were Gospel.

Yea, I have met a few people like that. Kinda sad to see such good minds go to waste on the protestant experiment. I used to be protestant also, but there is  now way I could ever go back. Zen at this point to me is much more appealing to me than protestantism lol...(except for maybe high church anglicanism)......

lellimore

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 08:03:04 PM »

Send me $100 & I'll see what I can do you lol!!!!!!!!!!
Uh, oh...I think I may have set Nacho on a life of hucksterism!  Shocked
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 08:09:41 PM »

And let's not forget Oral Roberts telling people that if they didn't send him $8 million, God  "would take him home".

How well I remember...locked himself in that gaudy mostrosity that looks like something from the Jetsons and became a laughingstock all around town afterwards....

Pedro, who grew up in Tulsa and converted to Orthodoxy while attending Oral Roberts U....

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 09:36:32 PM »

Uh, oh...I think I may have set Nacho on a life of hucksterism!  

LOL, hey I try hard to give eveyone here a few chuckles everyday.....

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2004, 07:34:55 PM »

I also  think that Pastor Arnold Murray of "The Shepheards Chapel" is one of the funniest of the televagelists out there. I loved the episode where he pulled a gun out of his brief case from under his desk. Real classy.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2004, 12:10:40 AM »

TBN is an affront to christianity and they should be ashamed of themselves. Some of these idiots even have better pancaked make-up & wigs than some of the hollywood idiots lol!!!! I also love the golden big chairs they sit on like they are kings or something hehe. Their version of christianity is a multi-level marketing ploy at best & they are the only ones profiting big time.

I had never bothered to really watch anything on tbn and then one day I saw Mr. Crouch interviewing H.H. Pope Shenouda of the Coptic Orthodox Church and they were discussing the possibility of the Coptic Orthodox Church producing some programming for the new Arabic newtork of tbn. I hadn't thought anything of it and by chance I decided to see what was on and I saw His Holiness and several Coptic Orthodox priests touring the tbn studios with Mr. Crouch. I have to say that I was not impressed with Mr. Crouch's studios, those silly golden thrones or his wife's ridiculous Dolly Parton hair and Tammy Faye Baker warpaint, err.... makeup.

I have thought about the possibility of the Coptic Church's producing programming, but to me that would be like comparing apples to oranges and I don't see how that would ever come to fruition because they are on two opposite sides of the spectrum and I do not see how Orthodoxy could ever be compatable with the pentecostalism of the trinity broadcasting network.  Huh

What do you all think?

In Christ,
Aaron
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 03:02:12 PM »

Well, in general Americans tend to fall for a "quick fix".  This notion of a "quick fix"  is how fundamentalist protestants dupe thousands of people every year.  They prey on the desperate, poor, elderly, depressed and outcast who are looking for something to lift them out of a bad situation. Fundamentalist Protestants are very keen to what people are looking for and package themselves accordingly so they can take thier money to fund these fantastic stage shows, build more "christian" megaplexes and publish more books. In thier mind these "things" will help people. I think it's a real distortion of what charity is all about.

Watch TBN or the 700 club for more than an hour and it's no more commercial than Mtv. IMHO.

For example,

"Give $$$$ and you will reap the benefits of giving" (Meaning: if you give you will get rich too)

"Read this book and learn how ____ became successful" (Meaning if you buy this book you will be successful too)

"Use this product and you will be___________. (skinnier, richer, more muscular and above all more christian!)

*Steps off Soapbox*
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 12:07:31 PM »

New slogan for TBN... "NO SALVATION WITHOUT DONATION!"

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 12:08:04 PM »

or "IF NO DONATION, EXPECT ETERNAL DAMNATION"

spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 12:46:46 PM »

Yea, I think they are missing the whole point of tithing.

Tithing is a Jewish teaching.

Soe can not afford 10%...Others can give much more than 10%

Remeber what Christ taught the Apostles in the temple upon viewing the porr woman who gave all she had?

We are responsible for stewardship. Stewardship can be time, talent or treasure. We must give our all.
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 12:51:50 PM »

or "IF NO DONATION, EXPECT ETERNAL DAMNATION"

This all reminds me of:

2 Peter 3:16

as also in all his (St. Paul's) epsitles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2004, 02:32:10 PM »

Tithing is a Jewish teaching.

Soe can not afford 10%...Others can give much more than 10%

Remeber what Christ taught the Apostles in the temple upon viewing the porr woman who gave all she had?

We are responsible for stewardship. Stewardship can be time, talent or treasure. We must give our all.

Tithing is not just a Jewish teaching. Tithing is the only time God asked people to test him. He said "try me out: tithe and you get blessed."

Most can afford to tithe.  Of course, if they don't, I don't judge them, but they miss out on the blessings.  And their community does too.

Anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2004, 02:43:56 PM »

Tithing is not just a Jewish teaching. Tithing is the only time God asked people to test him. He said "try me out: tithe and you get blessed."

Most can afford to tithe.  Of course, if they don't, I don't judge them, but they miss out on the blessings.  And their community does too.

I agree, tithing is an intregal aspect of the christian faith. The church would also be in much better shape if so many people in the church were not holding out from God.

spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004, 02:20:13 AM »

I agree, tithing is an intregal aspect of the christian faith. The church would also be in much better shape if so many people in the church were not holding out from God.

Christ noticed the owman in her poverty giving all she had ...but it was only two pennies. While others gave their tithe...btit was of their surplus wealth.

Strict tithing is not what Christ taught. Many who tithe can give more. All can give some. But Christ wants us to give Him our all....time, talent and treasure....not just the surplus. Christ wants us to be Stewards....not tithers.

The more we Give the more we receive yes...but it is not alwys in treasure. We cast our bread upon the waters and it will come back 100 fold...But Christ never said to look for it to come back at the same place where we cast it.

Many families simply can not afford to give 10% and still care for their children today and stay out of the poor house. Others can afford to be giving much more.

In a healthy parish...financial needs will be met an surpassed. Not out of some parish program...but because the parish is healthy and faithful and the Lord provides.
Rho
Running from dead works to Christ.

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004, 05:11:29 AM »

Tithing is not really a New Testament concept.
The only principle that we see in the NT is that of the believer giving cheerfully, and all s/he can.

Besides, the OT Hebrew did not only give the tithe, but also various other offerings to the community, bringing the % of their income given away to over 20%.

And one more thing... Tongue w/in EvProtism there is a movement of condemnation against TBN and the Word of Faith movement, so it's really hard to classify "those Protties" as falling for that junk.  These teachings are not even Christian, but resemble New Age ideas in many ways.

"I have taken my good deeds and my bad deeds and thrown them together in a heap. Then I have fled from both of them to Christ, and in Him I have peace." --David Dickson

Matthew 9:13 - Who is the sinner if not I?
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2004, 12:51:29 PM »

THE PROSPERITY GOSPEL
TBN's Promise: Send Money and See Riches
Being broke or in debt is no excuse not to write a check. In fact, it's an ideal opportunity. For God is especially generous to those who give when they can least afford it.

Just one more way to bleed poor old Granny dry, who is down to the last $.50 of her social security check and is eating cat food.  That's no reason for Crouch & Co. not to have one more platinum hubcap for their Cadillac.  Reminds me of that scene in carwash with Richard Pryor "You've got to believe in something, why not believe in me?"

Sad, but also hilarious.  Thanks for posting this Nacho.  I needed a laugh today.   Smiley

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2004, 12:58:59 PM »

And one more thing... Tongue w/in EvProtism there is a movement of condemnation against TBN and the Word of Faith movement, so it's really hard to classify "those Protties" as falling for that junk.  These teachings are not even Christian, but resemble New Age ideas in many ways.

Yes, that may be true and I'm glad, but since it is a protestant network and well known at that, it dangerously deceives WAY too many people.

Since this is an Orthodox board, we just point out how this is another deviation come to fruition from historic Orthodox Christianity.  How can you expect otherwise from an Orthodox board?
CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

HH St.Pius X, Pope of Rome, Ecumenical Pontiff

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2004, 03:46:41 PM »

I had never bothered to really watch anything on tbn and then one day I saw Mr. Crouch interviewing H.H. Pope Shenouda of the Coptic Orthodox Church and they were discussing the possibility of the Coptic Orthodox Church producing some programming for the new Arabic newtork of tbn. I hadn't thought anything of it and by chance I decided to see what was on and I saw His Holiness and several Coptic Orthodox priests touring the tbn studios with Mr. Crouch. I have to say that I was not impressed with Mr. Crouch's studios, those silly golden thrones or his wife's ridiculous Dolly Parton hair and Tammy Faye Baker warpaint, err.... makeup.

I have thought about the possibility of the Coptic Church's producing programming, but to me that would be like comparing apples to oranges and I don't see how that would ever come to fruition because they are on two opposite sides of the spectrum and I do not see how Orthodoxy could ever be compatable with the pentecostalism of the trinity broadcasting   network.  Huh

What do you all think?

In Christ,
Aaron

I thought TBN was The Baptist Network. If it is what you say it is an insult to the          Most Holy Trinity          !!!     Which makes me Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed and      :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Meaning I have to pray for those sick souls
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2004, 03:56:26 PM »

I have thought about the possibility of the Coptic Church's producing programming, but to me that would be like comparing apples to oranges and I don't see how that would ever come to fruition because they are on two opposite sides of the spectrum and I do not see how Orthodoxy could ever be compatable with the pentecostalism of the trinity broadcasting network.  Huh

What do you all think?

In Christ,
Aaron

I am Coptic Orthodox, and I agree with you.  This would "muddy the waters" to say the least.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: