OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:11:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian (OCA) tones?  (Read 1833 times) Average Rating: 0
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 08, 2004, 01:11:39 PM »

forgive me if this has been asked already...

does anyone know of any online resources that have all the (different kinds of) tones heard in the OCA? ideally a website w/ MIDI files of the tones, and notation on the web page so one could follow alond while the file plays, would be so great (at least if i made such a site, that's how i'd plan it).

im a catechumen in the OCA, and i just joined the choir at my church...and while rehearsals are going to start up in september, any way i could get a head start on learning these tones would be awesome, and i figured i'd ask the more computer savvy people out there if there are any "teach-yourself-the-tones" websites out there...

thank you! Smiley

hmmmm...
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 01:58:30 PM »

Ask your choir director if he has tape recordings. THat's the best way to learn them.

Else, a site like the following is pretty helpful in learning the octoechos.

http://music.orthodox.org.ru/octoechos/
http://www.saintmichaels.info/music/

are probably the only sites with midi/mp3 and music.

If you have a piano, you can download the music and play it on the piano, and then sing along to it.

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 09:14:26 PM »

Unmercenary Sacred Music doesn't have midis, but does have good sheet music for all the Obikhod (the "standard" Russian chant) tones.

The OCA web site also has good Obikhod sheet music for most troparia throughout the year. And if you really want to learn the tones (and know how to read Russian), and don't mind learning Kievan notation, you can't go wrong with the Sputnik Psalomshchika, a version of which (the Uchebnyj Obikhod) is available here.
thornygrace

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 10:56:17 PM »

Ask your choir director if he has tape recordings. THat's the best way to learn them.

Else, a site like the following is pretty helpful in learning the octoechos.

http://music.orthodox.org.ru/octoechos/
http://www.saintmichaels.info/music/

are probably the only sites with midi/mp3 and music.

If you have a piano, you can download the music and play it on the piano, and then sing along to it.

That first link is horrible. It tried to install Gator and other software and said it would not "load properly" unless I clicked 'yes" (permission to load the horrible software.)

"Saints are the ones that let the Light shine through them."
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 12:40:51 AM »

forgive me if this has been asked already...

does anyone know of any online resources that have all the (different kinds of) tones heard in the OCA? ideally a website w/ MIDI files of the tones, and notation on the web page so one could follow alond while the file plays, would be so great (at least if i made such a site, that's how i'd plan it).

im a catechumen in the OCA, and i just joined the choir at my church...and while rehearsals are going to start up in september, any way i could get a head start on learning these tones would be awesome, and i figured i'd ask the more computer savvy people out there if there are any "teach-yourself-the-tones" websites out there...

thank you! Smiley

I second the OCA website for sheet Music.....Also Father John Matusiak has arranged all the OCA tones for congregational singing. He is the National Communications director for the OCA. If you write the site and address it specifically to Father JOhn...he might be able to send you digital files of the music you are looking for.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: